Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Totally ridiculous ban

Options
  • 05-11-2005 4:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭

I never take the piss in the Personal Issues forum (or in general on the site.)

There was a topic regarding a guy who likes to wear womens underwear.

I commented that I tried this once and it was painfull (they ain't made for men.)

He said he just wears big underwear (or something like that.)

My response was...and it was obviously a joke...ah so the solution is knickers for fat chicks!

This has gotten me a ban (or at least, this is the only reason I can think of. Nothing else I've posted comes anywhere near joking/taking the piss.)

I have PM'd the mod, Victor. The only explanation I have gotten from him is that I am banned from Personal Issues. Nothing else.

It happened at 2.34 am Friday night/Saturday morning.

Please review this ban. Thank you.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

well when someone is looking for advice or support, the last thing they want is someont taking the piss out of them,

but without linking to the thread i cannot answer your query

given that you are now banned from PI i suggest that you go to http://dontlogin.boards.ie , find the post you were banned for and then linking to it here.

edit if i were dudora, gordon, beruthiel et all i would have banned fade2black also. but that is just me
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=3568854&postcount=2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Thanks for the link.

Well I'm assuming this is why I was banned because I have been given no explanation.

People who read PI regularily will know I don't slag people/take the piss.

This is my post -

http://dontlogin.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=320615&page=2

I am not taking the piss. I am just having banter with him (a joke, not at him, just a little joke.)

Sure being banned for this is ridiculous???

The only other post I could be banned for this this -

http://dontlogin.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=3568799&postcount=2

I had a look at the thread in question and figured that the post linked below
    http://dontlogin.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=3568893&postcount=11
    might have pissed off a mod because it was off topic.

personally i try to PM people when i ban them. it has the following result.

(i) they know why they are banned
    (ii) they reply with abuse which gives me an excuse to ban them permanently.

i see Victor asked that people use less of the troll comments in the thread. maybe accusing the OP in the thread is what got you banned.

Be aware that i do not mod PI so I dont know.

the thread does not say why you were banned.

No mention of why in the thread, no mention of why in the PM.

I'm amazed someone would feel I should be banned for that. Bizarre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Wanna explain why you think I should have been banned?

• Advertisement

dublindude wrote:
    No mention of why in the thread, no mention of why in the PM.

I'm amazed someone would feel I should be banned for that. Bizarre.

neither do I.

there is no mention of it in the thread or the mod forum so I don't even know who banned you or for how long.

but, and this is only my opinion, the mods might have gotten ticked off with the accusations of the OP being a troll and banned the first person they saw using that comment.

sorry i cannot be of more help.

fade2black wrote:
    Wanna explain why you think I should have been banned?

You called the OP in that thread a troll. it looks like dublindude was banned for calling the OP a troll.

threads in PI should be taken at face value in my opinion, so calling someone a troll is bad form in my opinion.

Someone said at the start of the topic that they reckon this guy might be a troll. The OP was claiming the underwear are comfortable and nice. I thought this very suspiscious as I have worn them once before and it is the opposite of comfortable, hence me thinking, yes I think this guy might be trolling...

Still, considering I post in PI a lot, and have never taken the piss in the past, it seems very silly to ban me. There's no point. If I was a trouble maker I'd understand, but I'm not...

FYI It was Victor who banned me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭joe.

Apparently you're not a man until you're banned from PI. So welcome etc....

:v:

joe. wrote:
    :v:

:)

I like your new smiley!!!

• Advertisement

I do understand what you're saying but really all I did was acknowledge that he could be a troll but then gave him the benefit of the doubt and proceeded to give him as good advice as I could. The warning about him possibly being a troll wasn't given until much later in the thread.

To be honest I think there were a few things that could have got Dublin Dude his ban...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=3569160&postcount=21
    being one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭joe.

Apparently you are not a man

:v: :v:

fade2black wrote:
    To be honest I think there were a few things that could have got Dublin Dude his ban...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showp...0&postcount=21
    being one

Yeah but that was obviously me just chatting and having some banter. It was hardly offensive or upsetting.

I agree to be honest...I don't really know the politics involved in PI but I guess the rules have to be a bit sterner cause of the sensitivity of the issues.

@fade2black

you brought up the possibility of him being a troll in post #2 of the thread linked below

I am guessing that a mod saw three or four comments accusing the OP of being a troll and decided to ban the next person that said it is all.

dublindude wrote:
    Yeah but that was obviously me just chatting and having some banter. It was hardly offensive or upsetting.

like i said i think it had to do with accusations of being a troll leveled against the OP and personally I would have banned more than one user for it.

did the mod that banned you PM you?

OK, well he should have made this clear, either in the thread or in the PM.

It's still totally OTT though.

Silly...

@fade2black

you brought up the possibility of him being a troll in post #2 of the thread linked below

I am guessing that a mod saw three or four comments accusing the OP of being a troll and decided to ban the next person that said it is all.

Yes but it was the first reply in the thread. Because he was using a registered name rather than a pre approved anon post i was obviously wary of foolishly posting a reply to a troll. I guess we just have to give people the benefit of the doubt. I'm not a regular visitor to the PI forum I must admit so I guess im a little ignorant to proceedings there.

like i said i think it had to do with accusations of being a troll leveled against the OP and personally I would have banned more than one user for it.

did the mod that banned you PM you?

Yes he PM'd me saying I'm banned from PI. No explanation.

fade2black wrote:
    Yes but it was the first reply in the thread. Because he was using a registered name rather than a pre approved anon post i was obviously wary of foolishly posting a reply to a troll. I guess we just have to give people the benefit of the doubt. I'm not a regular visitor to the PI forum I must admit so I guess im a little ignorant to proceedings there.

alot of people are not aware that you can post unregged in PI. therefore they will set up a second account for this purpose.

other than that I agree mostly with what you are saying.

• Advertisement

dublindude wrote:
    Yes he PM'd me saying I'm banned from PI. No explanation.

can you forward me the PM ?

Done! :)

ah yes it was the "banter" that got you banned.

my only advice i can offer you is to apologise and ask nicely how long the ban is for.

I personally have never seen anything wrong with your posts in PI.

Thanks for the help :)

I'll PM him again.

no worries. sorry i could not do more.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Firstly, dublindude, you posted a completely off topic post about Victors signature and then after people were warned about the troll comments - you make one.

Secondly, as for the troll comments, they are rather pointless on PI in most ciscumstances. We have said it many a time that even if a thread is started by a presumed troll it can still be a valid issue that helps others. Hence a plethora of trollcall just messes up the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

There is no banter on Personal Issues, thats what After Hours is for. If you think a person is a troll, ignore their topic. Some people have genuine outrageous and very sensitive issues which may seem like complete bullshìt to you but can be true. PI is one of the few places I know on the internet were you can get genuine feedback from mostly normal people on stuff like that without giving away your identity.

Take the ban and you'll be let back in next week.

*Draupnir, speaking with 3 bans from PI under his belt.*

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

dublindude wrote:
    I never take the piss in the Personal Issues forum (or in general on the site.)

There was a topic regarding a guy who likes to wear womens underwear.

I commented that I tried this once and it was painfull (they ain't made for men.)

He said he just wears big underwear (or something like that.)

My response was...and it was obviously a joke...ah so the solution is knickers for fat chicks!

This has gotten me a ban (or at least, this is the only reason I can think of. Nothing else I've posted comes anywhere near joking/taking the piss.)

I have PM'd the mod, Victor. The only explanation I have gotten from him is that I am banned from Personal Issues. Nothing else.

It happened at 2.34 am Friday night/Saturday morning.

Please review this ban. Thank you.

so victor banned you, and when you emailed him to say you thought it was silly and would he please review it, he emailed you back saying he wasnt going to, you decided to post up here because why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

If I ever get banned again, I want it to be by billy the squid :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Jesus, can you just give it a rest.
    It was probably only a two week ban in the first place.
    Vitor has better things to be doing than replying to emails and be hassled by bannee's.

Sit it out. Lots of people, regular PI posters included get short bans.

Advertisement