Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing Java

Options
  • 05-11-2005 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭

Ive just started a computers course and I need to install java on my home pc. Problem is every time I install it I dont seem to get the java shell part. I end up with just an applications server. Can someone please help??? Have lots of work to get through this weekend and I cant even start until I get this sorted out.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Which version of Java are you installing? Sounds like you are trying to install JavaEE (Enterprise Edition), which you shouldn't need if you've only just started programming. Uninstall it, and go download JavaSE (Standard Edition).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭canker

Go here and choose the JDK 5.0 Update 5 option

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp

Then choose your platform, download and install using all the default options.

The only other thing you will have to do is set the environmental variables on your machine.

For windows xp (similar for other versions of windows) you will go to the control panel >> system >> advanced >> environmental variables

then you will need to set PATH = C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_02\bin;.

and CLASSPATH = C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_02\lib\dt.jar;.

if you installed it to a different directory you will have to adjust the above to match.

The you should be able to compile and run programms from cmd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭madramor

http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/getStarted/cupojava/index.html

Did they not teach you how to this in your course?

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Kevo

Thanks a mil, works grand now.

They told us how to do it at the start but i only got my laptop last thursday.

Advertisement