Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSCD001 ?

• 11-01-2000 11:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭

righty, you remember the post about the Ravage virus, well I started reinstalling the victim's PC and I've hit a problem.

Everything is gone (and I do mean everything). When I try installing the CD driver (Sony ATAPI driver) it asks for MSCD001. I can't find this file on any other PC but there are tons of references on tech support sites, just no download.

Anyone know where I can get this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Aaaaaargh! Another PC just got hit by ravage while I posted the above message!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

That virus is old. Get some up to date AV and scan every floppy in the building.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

if you boot up with a win98 disk it gives you the option to goto a dos promt with cd support.
    do this and then just reinstall win98 or 95 to your lesuire.
    had the same problem when i reloaded my old pc which had win95 on it
    took 3 days to get the bast workin coz i had to get my hands on msc something or other and rewrite batch files and stuff
    like i said if you are reloading a pc use a win98 cd
    also, you might want to just f-disk the drive first and then format just to make sure its ultra clean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Just a thought but u might like to use the fdisk/mbr in case boot sector is fooked. Grab a boot/cdrom floppy (come with most machines and should have mscdex.sys on it).
    Once cd is working copy cab file from win cd to dir on h/d and install from there. Win9x can sometimes forget where the cd drive is in mid-installation and its faster too.

Cannaboid: i know it's old. we have the latest release of Sophos with all the IDE files. It can detect it, but can't remove it.

WWMan: Thanks, I'll give it a try.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Ah yeah, I remember doing that!
    Ok, formatted the drive...
    But oh!
    Where's mscdex.exe?
    ****!

God bless Windows 98 smile.gif

Take a bullet for the prez at: The Grotto

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

yep they truly are greedy fu.... generous people. Microsoft eh bring a tear to your eye.

bye for now
    Baz

got it sorted.

Download CDENAB.EXE from Dell support. Creates a nice DOS boot disk that automatically installs the driver for you (something like three differetn drivers on it, you choose the make of the CD).

Still rooting out the ravage thing.

Sophos is crap by the way. WM97/story can be detected but not deleted, and before you say it, I updated sophos on Monday with the latest version and all IDE files (now a daily procedure sad.gif )

Advertisement