Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pricing per MB over 3GB Cap :(

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by ando
    Eircom have finally published their cap limit on the residential adsl (http://www.eircom.ie/cgi-bin/bvsm/bveircom/bladerunner/showContentDropDownSubchannel.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0803602856.1001408959@@@@&BV_EngineID=cadccdfmehhhbedcfjgchgcghk.0&cid=TheResAdsl&fromChannel=At+Home&selectedChannel=Products+and+services)webpage, and sure enough, its 3GB. BUT, and a very major BUT:

HOLY $HIT, 3.12P ........ I taught 2.6P was expensive(and originally taught to be)

Once again I ask ... does Eircom seriously think that this product is being aimed home users?? Does it actually believe its own bull$h*t ??

Get a clue!!! :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

2.6p + VAT = 3.12p

Eircom, you should be wearing a mask.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

It looks like Eircom published a load of ex-VAT figures without stating the fact that they were ex-VAT. This has caused a load of people to think that the figures included VAT, an understandable mistake since ADSL is normally a non-business product. I'm tired of correcting people though. Let them get the first bill from Eircom. That'll learn'em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Are ALL the eircom ADSL services capped in some way or are any uncapped? I honestly can't work it out from their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

It's difficult to work out a lot of stuff from their web site.

I think MOST of the ADSL products come with a cap. Perhaps one or two of the most ridiculously priced (upper end) products (for connecting networks to the net) are uncapped.

All that Volta are saying in their NetGains newsletter about it is:

### ADSL At Last! Pricey Though...
    = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
    Eircom has, at last, made an ADSL service, Eircom i-stream, available to heavy users of the Internet - both home and small business users. There are several different levels of the service, the basic being Eircom i-stream solo, aimed at single users, with a EUR125 (£98.45) connection fee, and a EUR99 (£77.97) monthly charge. However, not every existing phone connection is appropriate for using the service - business users should phone 1800 512 128 to find out, while home users should call Eircom on 1800 503 303. http://www.eircom.ie

"ADSL Available!"..."Pricey though..."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

Originally posted by Castor Troy
    Are ALL the eircom ADSL services capped in some way or are any uncapped? I honestly can't work it out from their website.

The Business quotas are up there now:

http://www.adsl.ie

The i-stream enhanced is uncapped.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

The i-stream enhanced is uncapped.

Oh, if I was in Dooblin I'd take that and drive the ring out of it, just to annoy €ircon! I'd be downloading ISO's all night! Ireland's biggest Linux distributor, up-to-the-minute CVS snapshots, all at €ircon's expense! :)

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭corkie

i-stream enchanced
    For a multi user, multi PC networked environment

Speeds are up to 1Mbps downstream/256kbps upstream
    Connection fee is 125 (IR£98.45) excl. VAT - Monthly fee is 228 (IR£179.57) excl. VAT.
    Additional equipment costs will vary with customer requirements.
    For there is unlimited monthly download allowance.**

Would it be possible to setup community wans using eircom as a backbone to internet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Lmao...
    No seriously, €ircon?, in the end I guess we'll probably have to get something from them, and that doesnt seem too bad...dunno, look into it m8, see exactly what its about.
    Good idea.

Ivan
    http://carlow.irishwan.org/
    CWPlogo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

It was reported by eircom in a special articale in the Sunday Times that only 1 user of the ADSL trials went over 3GB a month .... 1 USER ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Yeah one user, and there's no demand for flat rate internet either. Must be another 'misquote' they conveniently dragged out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭cmkrnl

It was reported by eircom in a special articale in the Sunday Times that only 1 user of the ADSL trials went over 3GB a month .... 1 USER ???

Which of course is utter bollocks, a quiet day for me here is 250-300 MB. Do the sums for say listening 5hours/day to

http://www.shoutcast.com/sbin/shoutcast-playlist.pls?rn=2653&addr=66.9.105.2:8000&file=filename.pls

@ 128kbs. Never mind usenet or browsing, it all adds up.

greg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Straker

" **There is an additional charge of 2.6p (3 cent) ex VAT per MB for material downloaded over and above the stated monthly allowance. "

I calculate the price to be: 3.12p incl. VAT (3.96 cent) upto the end of December 2001...

then...

2.83p incl. VAT (3.60 cent) starting January 2002.

... Wait until the new year? :)

<Edit>
    Just read €ircon's text again... I assume I can upload asmuch as I want then. :D <Edit>

It depends on how they chose the participants in the trial. They might have chosen them randomly rather than to reflect the type of people who take up broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Ok, If you guys are like me then your crazy downloaders...

I would download 3GB easily in one week if i had ADSL.

Dont quote me on these figures but after you have passed the 3GB limit:

ADSL will cost you approx £31 quid per GB (1024Megs)

On DUAL ISDN (off peak) 1GB is approx a 20 hour download. Which works out for me at £24 quid

......It would be cheaper for me to leave the country ;(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭R. Daneel Olivaw

Actually I was thinking that they could easily have pissed people off enough with those prices.........I have a cunning plan:

How about you set up a LAN between you and your neibhour....even the wireless WAN lads could do it without needing really powerful equipment. Get one other person on your road and you could share the 180/month price, and get unlimited 256/64k ADSL each for only 90 quid a month (same as the limited Solo option)

OK, it's not 512, but it's flat fee, no extras, real broadband, and you'll get downloads at around 30k/s on 256, and pings to games will be LPB heaven as well.

It would require minimal routing equipment, and the standard wireless transmission power that do not require a license would work (e.g., line of site is only 50m away across and down the road).

Eircom would obviously bitch childishly as usual, etc., but they specifically state that it is the Solo option that is limited to one user on one computer (however the hell they intend to even enforce THAT).

I think they have severly underestimated the power of the dark side.....the people who will sign for 180 a month and like already said, become the ISO king....set up a script and download everything.....twice......

The ISDN rates are interesting in that if you sign for IOL you can get even cheaper 1GB for around 18 pounds (it's 50MB an hour for 92p using IOL Gold at 128k). That means that you get over 5.5GB over ISDN per month for the 93 quid, comapared to lousy 3GB on ADSL.

That price per MB on ADSL is appalling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Broadband with a 3gb cap is worse than useless. I have 512k cable (uncapped) with NTL and believe me, 3gb doesnt last me 3 days.

(DivX anyone?)

What a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

C_CrouchingEircom.jpg

*cough*

you know, that £200 per month for i-scream enhanced is looking more attractive every day .... there's no point in getting broadband if you can't use it, and with that 3P per MB, my bills would probably be around 200 anyway ? I have to see what the first month is like with 3GB limit

you know, that £200 per month for i-scream enhanced is looking more attractive every day .... there's no point in getting broadband if you can't use it, and with that 3P per MB, my bills would probably be around 200 anyway ? I have to see what the first month is like with 3GB limit
    Bear in mind that you will be signed up for a year. It would probably be as well to wait until the business with the ODTR is sorted out first as this will give an indication as to whether or not competition will arise and drive the price down. With competition, I don't think the 3gig cap is a sustainable proposition.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Pimp

ok with this cap and the prices of going over can anyone recommend a programme that u can view how much bytes u have received. And due to the cost u better make it small and freeware :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭cmkrnl

Originally posted by Pimp
    ok with this cap and the prices of going over can anyone recommend a programme that u can view how much bytes u have received. And due to the cost u better make it small and freeware :P

http://www.smoothwall.org/

http://www.astaro.com/

;-)

greg

Originally posted by Pimp
    can anyone recommend a programme that u can view how much bytes u have received

I use DUmeter, its a very good free program www.dumeter.com/ and will come in handy in the future !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Originally posted by SkepticOne
    It looks like Eircom published a load of ex-VAT figures without stating the fact that they were ex-VAT. This has caused a load of people to think that the figures included VAT, an understandable mistake since ADSL is normally a non-business product. I'm tired of correcting people though. Let them get the first bill from Eircom. That'll learn'em.

The ADSL packages that Eircom are pushing at the moment are designed for the business user. And since you can claim VAT back on anything you use in the running of your business, Eircom show the VAT exclusive price - 'cos that's the real cost to the user.

Not sure if anybody saw this or not, but there was a 2-page spread in "Get Connected" in the Irish Independent yesterday extoling the virtues of the ADSL packages. They did quote Eircom as saying that the current packages were business packages and that a residential package would be released at a later date at a lower cost - no indication of cost given, though..:(

And for those of us who don't live in the great metropolis of Dublin, it appears that ADSL will be released in stages to the rest of the great unwashed. Limerick, Cork and Galway (I think) are due for June 2002. But it seems that you'll have to live within 3km of the exchange and even then there is no guarantee that your phone line will handle it.

Originally posted by Delphi91

The ADSL packages that Eircom are pushing at the moment are designed for the business user. And since you can claim VAT back on anything you use in the running of your business, Eircom show the VAT exclusive price - 'cos that's the real cost to the user.
    In what way has the 512kbs with 3gig cap package been designed for the business user (apart from the price tag)? This looks like a very 'residential' product to me.

Not sure if anybody saw this or not, but there was a 2-page spread in "Get Connected" in the Irish Independent yesterday extoling the virtues of the ADSL packages. They did quote Eircom as saying that the current packages were business packages and that a residential package would be released at a later date at a lower cost - no indication of cost given, though..:(
    ...or when.
    And for those of us who don't live in the great metropolis of Dublin, it appears that ADSL will be released in stages to the rest of the great unwashed. Limerick, Cork and Galway (I think) are due for June 2002. But it seems that you'll have to live within 3km of the exchange and even then there is no guarantee that your phone line will handle it.
    There's nothing to stop them once they play by the rules. The more sparcely populated areas could be covered by wireless ISPs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

If that was true then they wouldn't need to put a cap onit, I know for a fact it couldnt be tru though unless I'm the only person who's done it, and I know another person who has gone over the 3gig a month anyway, I went over that in a couple of days, it was on all the time downloading non-stop cept for a couple of reconnects.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Originally posted by SkepticOne

In what way has the 512kbs with 3gig cap package been designed for the business user (apart from the price tag)? This looks like a very 'residential' product to me.

I'm only going by what it says in the article:
    ...A quick glance at what's on offer will reveal that i-stream is by no means cheap. However, [Brendan] Nevin is keen to stress that the intial offering is mainly aimed at businesses. While heavy home users may avail of the i-stream solo product, the company plans to launch a product more suited to the average residential user at a later date...

As for your comment
    ...or when.
    the article goes on to say
    ...Eircom will begin accepting first orders on October 2. The service will initially be available to 277,000 customers in the Dublin area. In June 2002, the company hopes to roll it out to a further 206,000 customers in Dublin, Cork, Galway and Limerick. Following on from that, it hopes to introduce it to 131,000 customers in the North East, North West, Midlands and South East in December 2002.

Even still, there is the 3km problem. Unless there is some possible way of increasing that, a hell of a lot of potential customers will be lost. And I have no intention of moving house just to get within 3km of an exchange!!!

I'm only going by what it says in the article:
    I was mainly disagreeing with the article, not yourself.
    As for your comment the article goes on to say
    I meant: when was the consumer pricing going to appear.
    Even still, there is the 3km problem. Unless there is some possible way of increasing that, a hell of a lot of potential customers will be lost. And I have no intention of moving house just to get within 3km of an exchange!!!
    Yes. This is a big problem with the current equipment Eircom has chosen to use.

• Advertisement

Even still, there is the 3km problem. Unless there is some possible way of increasing that, a hell of a lot of potential customers will be lost

I am living exactly 1.9 miles away from my exchange, which is 3.04 KM ...... how iffy is that ??

BTW, This is part of the 'get connected' newspaper articale:

NOTE: Nevin = Brenden Nevin, Eircom marketing director
    A quick glance at whats on offer will reveal that i-stream is by no means cheap. However, Nevin is keen to stress that the initial offering is mainly aimed at businesses. While heavy home users may avail of the i-stream product, the company plans to launch a product more suited to the average residential customer at a later date. (*cough*,later date = when ESAT and COLT arrive on the sceane).
    The broadband lobby IrelandOffline gave a guarded welcome to Eircom's announcement. In particular, it was critical of the company's decision to put a cap on the amount of data that a user can transfer per month and charge users more when they exceed the limit.
    Nevin says that during the customer trials, only one person out of 400 exceeded the cap. "We made a decision that the majority of customers should'nt habe to subsidise a minority", he says.
    The service will be initially available to 277,000 customers in the Dublin area. In June 2002, the company hopes to roll it out to a further 206,000 customers in Dublin, Cork, Galway and Limerick. Following on from that, it hopes to introduce it to 131,000 customers in the North East, North West, Midlands and the South East in December 2002.

Thats all I'm typing... tired :p

Advertisement