Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pricing per MB over 3GB Cap :(

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭R. Daneel Olivaw

"Nevin says that during the customer trials, only one person out of 400 exceeded the cap. "We made a decision that the majority of customers should'nt habe to subsidise a minority", he says."

Makes no sense at all. If only 1 in 400 people as above go over the cap, they wouldn't be bothered with a cap at all: they would have no "risk" of excessive bandwidth usage, apart from one customer in 400, and the accountants would tell them that exactly......no risk because no-one goes over 3GB. But that is utter bull**** because it's not like it priced then to be dirt cheap at around £20/month for the sub-3GB users. Hence they price it so that they can prob at least get £50-60 extra on average use, as the £93/month gets you almost double the GB at 5.5 or so on 128 ISDN (yes, at the double call charges included).

Unless of course they are implying that this is the logic they used to work out that £93 was a really good deal and that that was AFTER they fux0red out the heavy user.

Ah to hell with it I give up trying to understand the marketroid speak from those articles.......if every other country can provide uncapped service for half of that cost, then Eircom as the people who own all the bits that connect us to the other cheap comms countries are just full of ****. Even the aussie 700MB/day limit is still 21GB a month for christ's sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

taken from there marketing bollox

Q. Do you find that your e-mails take too long to deliver?
    With e-mail is as instant as a conversation. You can send an e-mail to a customer and be certain that it will be delivered immediately. Instant e-mail adds that extra, professional touch, which can make a good impression with new customers - right from the start.

omg
    i nearly cryed
    i know baby jebus is crying

What they should really say is:

Q. Do you find that your e-mails take too long to deliver?

"Due to evil hackers and Ireland Offline members, email can frequently take a long time to deliver. With i-Stream, your idiot drones will be able to still send off Sircam viruses, but this time at high-speed. "

They have to promote ignorance about email like the real information. Imagine what would happen if lots of people knew what a bunch of lying cheating manipulative incompetent-can't-run-a-monopoly low-lifes they really are! Imagine if people knew that email is as instant as a conversation! And that it is delivered depending on the service provider itself and doesn't matter a damn about the speed of connection!

Disinformation is a tried and true way of keeping people under control.

I think I'll send them an email instantly. It will add that professional touch and make a good impression, especially with all the abuse that will be in it. They'll know how I feel, right from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭neverhappen

They have to promote ignorance about email like the real information

Hmm. Misleading advertising. Coincidentally, from todays bbc business news...
    --
    Communications giant BT has been forced to withdraw a misleading advert for its internet service.
    The company claimed its internet Anytime service was "fast and reliable" but removed the advert after the Advertising Standards Agency received complaints from people who found the service unreliable at busy times of day.
    --

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/business/newsid_1563000/1563732.stm

Anyone think there are any misleading claims in eircoms advertising ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by R. Daneel Olivaw

They have to promote ignorance about email like the real information. Imagine what would happen if lots of people knew what a bunch of lying cheating manipulative incompetent-can't-run-a-monopoly low-lifes they really are! Imagine if people knew that email is as instant as a conversation! And that it is delivered depending on the service provider itself and doesn't matter a damn about the speed of connection!

Disinformation is a tried and true way of keeping people under control.

Can't Eircom be done for false advertising then??

• Advertisement

Well talking about emails being slow to deliver is crap. Only if your drones start mailing out endless Sircam-infected video files will ADSL "help". It's trying to change what the problem is essentially.

It's also utterly insane for a business to get ADSL and use for business purposes. The bandwidth is in no way at all absolutely ever guranteed, which businesses may need. ADSL is predominantly a home/redsidential service in other countries (as leased lines are a lot cheaper.....).

The advertising and website makes it look like you have your own 512kbps line, which you don't. In BTs rollout of ADSL last year (they didn't spend four years in trials, just around 6 months to test out likely tech to use, etc., ), the contention ratio was initially so high that you could get as low as 3k/s at peak time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

incompetent-can't-run-a-monopoly

Heh, I laughed out loud when I read that. It's a howl when you think about it - Eircom have a dictionary defined monopoly in some (most) sectors of the marketplace (they control the market), but their shareprice sucks. The management can't even abuse a monopoly properly. Well done Alfie, ya moron.
    adam

Exactly; Bill Gates is probably crying at seeing that the first student of MS Monopoly School 2002 is a total dunce. The share thing mystifying though. Maybe because they had no future investments in forthcoming high-technologies {cough}.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Check out the residential adsl page !!!!! The charge has magically been reduced to 2.8P per MB after 3GB !!! ??? !!!
    There is an additional charge of 2.8 p (3.6 cent) incl VAT per MB for material downloaded over and above the stated monthly download allowance

Advertisement