Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best mobo for 1.4 athlon / raid / ddr

• 25-09-2001 1:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭

What is the best motherboard at the moment for an athlon 1400mhz. It must have RAID and it must take DDR.

Also it would be better if it could take the up and coming Palamino core (athlon 4)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

kg7-raid most probably

or if you can wait a couple of weeks, the kr7-raid or kn7-raid will probaly be better than it.

Only other people who do RAID are MSI and epox I think.

For ddr the best chipset by far is the kt266a, out right about now (mobo's soon also) and then the nvidia nForce, both these chipsets beat out their competitors by a fair margin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

I think the mobo's are out
    or at least one asus version
    aint this it, saw it on Oclokers

ASUS A7V266 (Socket A - AMD Thunderbird/Duron)
    With 3 DIMM, 5 PCI, 6 USB port capability (4 ports supplied) and UDMA100 IDE. Using VIA's KT266 chipset the ASUS A7V266 has official support for AMD's latest Palamino CPU's and allows multiplier, FSB and voltage adjustment through jumpers or BIOS softmenu. ASUS has pulled out all the stops to create the fastest and most stable AMD approved DDR motherboard available. Detailed reviews can be found at

or am i wrong?
    www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Motherboards_5.html#a364

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

kr7-raid will be good, this board has the kt266a chipset. I'm not sure of the launch date for nforce, but it could be a bit after that for the kn7-raid. If you want a board right now, people are getting very good results with the kg7-raid. It is an incredibly tweakable board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,463 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Using the kg7-raid and is one sweet board, definately say go for it. Besides there are a lot of extremly good websites with info on tweaking it, a sure sign that its widely held in high regard.

Heck even gets the thumbs up on Toms hardware .

There will always be better boards out at some future date..but right now..this one holds the crown.

That said, i'm completely biased..i just bought and installed one :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭saik

this is what i have, GA-7DXR, available from www.itdirect.ie for a pricey £206.00.
    i have 2 bones of contention, 1) onboard audio and 2) it only does 132.00mhz fsb, shortchanging me a whole 14mhz, that bastard of a thing. (im sure if i bothered my arse reading the manual....)
    i reckon you are better off waiting for a board based on either the nForce chipset, or a k266a chipset, 20% is a helluva lot of extra performance and proboably worth the wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

Some one suggested Epox EP-8K7A+ Socket A DDR RAID as the best RAID DDR mobo for AMD CPUs, u can read about it http://www.tekheads.co.uk/products.php?view=product&productId=600440

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

http://www6.tomshardware.com/mainboard/01q3/010902/kt266a-08.html

Judging by this I should be looking for a board based on the VIA Apollo KT266A. It seems like the best chipset available in the very near future. The nForce isnt going to be out for a while, and apparently the Kt266A beats the nforce in some benchmarks anyway.

Has anyone seen any KT266A boards available yet?

Advertisement