Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlon 5

• 25-09-2001 7:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭

Any ides when this will be available?
    or a possible price (i know its kinda early)

i know it will be 10 degrees cooler than the 1.4 (or so ive ehard)
    but will it be worth waiting for or should i go for a 1.4 again (and hope i dont fry it this time :p )

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭R. Daneel Olivaw

Isn't the Athlon 4 what is being rebadged as the new Athlon XP? They are renaming all the models so that the 1.4GHz beast does not look lame next to the wuss 1.8GHz+ Pentium 4s.

I just read on Slashdot (reliable I know ;) that AMD are ot going to be introducing real new chips anytime soon, that they are concentrating on the corporate market (because the chips are so cheap and corpos these days might not like to pay $1000+/year for new Compaq crap), that they are doing more to get into the mobile market, and are doing the rebadge thing (e.g., the 1.2GHz will be the "AMD 1600" because it can bitch slap a 1.6GHz P4 around (or something like that)...).

If this is all the case, and judging by the roadmaps up until the end of 2001 at the earliest I doubt if a new Athlon or whatever is due on the market. They are not even mumbling about higher rated Palominos even.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

right ill slap my inf supplier a bit and will buy new 1.4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

Found this herewww.amdmb.com
    AMD Confirms Palomino Will Debut In Fall - Lars Olsen - Tue, Sep 25, 2001 - 06:23 PM
    Just noticed this nice article on CNN about AMD and the October launch of the Athlon XP 'Desktop Palomino' processor....very nice to see that CNN is mentioning AMD more and more....especially my favorite subject...the AMD Palomino...here's a snippet:

The chip maker expects to begin shipping a Palomino-based 1.5GHz Athlon this quarter, according to Ward Tisdale, an AMD spokesperson. The Palomino core features several improvements over AMD's current Thunderbird core, including Streaming Single Instruction-Multiple Data Extensions (SSE) instruction support, data prefetching, and improved power management functions.

"This will be an extremely competitive part," says Kevin Krewell, a senior analyst with MicroDesign Resources. "The Athlon 1.5 will be very comparable to [Intel's] Pentium 4 in the 1.9 [GHz] to 2GHz range."

Hmmm. Sounds good, and sounds like I was mixing up the stuff I was reading. 1.5GHz+ would be nice though.

B-K-DzR: my bad! Sorry........I was sort of right though.......

np's i asked for advice/ knowledge and u said what u knew
    thanks for postin
    :rolleyes: hehe

Bigger thanks to R Daneel :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Just to clarify, the chip you referred to in your original post is indeed the palomino/athlon4, it is currently available in 1.2ghz form. It runs around 10-15% cooler, but its still a very hot running chip. It offers a decent boost over the athlon in professional applications, particularly those which use sse, and those which are helped by its data prefetch logic. It carries a price premium at the moment though, because it is being mainly pushed for use in dual athlon mp systems.

Which means I suppose that for a new CPU in a home CPU the 1.4GHz Thunderbird is the best bet (with a good cooler obviously ;) ). I'm changing my P3 soon so I was a bit confussed with this Athlon 4 talk.

So basically, the Athlon 4, as announced like last May, is the Palomino chip.....which as of a week or two ago was renamed Athlon XP for the benefit of the new XP Windows's. (i.e., the initial name Athlon 4 was just to compete with Pentium 4.....and they decided it would be better to go for the jugular and name with Windows instead).

And right now, you can get classic Thunderbird action at 1.4GHz, and the Palomino/AthlonXP will eventually be the 1.5GHz+ chips?

Bloody hell I'm off to Anandtech to try and clear this up..............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

There are currently two main "types" of Athlon available :

1) T'bird, up to 1.4 GHz
    2) Athlon MP, designed for multi-processor boxen, uses a Palomino core IIRC.

AMD are shortly replacing the T'bird with the "Athlon XP", originally to be named "Athlon 4" as someone else reported. This will effectively be a Palomino core in a non-MP-capable chip.

So, at the moment, you can build a T'bird system, or go for a MP system. I believe there is a small benefit to be gained from building a box with a single MP chip in it (in preference to a TBird) but you'll pay for it.

The best two bets, IMHO, at the moment are either :

1) wait for XP, buy a new XP configuration. To get full benefit from this, you probably need to wait several months to get mobo's with chipsets optimised properly for the XP design.

or, if you dont like waiting

2) Get yourself a board such as the A7V266 which is "Palomino ready", and slap a ??? T'bird into it. Then when you decide to upgrade, just replace the chip.

Just my THursday morning 2c worth.

jc

yeah im getting kinda impatient

i been told to wait for a mobo with the kt266a chipset in it anyway so ill prob do that and get a 1.4 again

thanks for advice :)

Advertisement