Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The idea of a boycott on Eircom

Options
  • 22-09-2001 10:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭

I don't believe Eircom are going to give us a No-Limits connection as long as we keep using the internet at the rate we do. They are making too much money from it. The ADSL prices are ridicoulus....there's no way that it would cost that much to run ADSL. They stand to make a huge profit from all this. Eircom could easily offer us a SNL service like Esat. See, Esats problem was that whenever an SNL user would connect, they would have to pay Eircom for the usage of line...and Eircom obviously dont have that to worry about. Esat surely could have predicted the lose they would make if people started to over-use the service...but I guess they never figured us Irish for such heavy Internet users like the Americans. :p

Anyway, I suggest a Boycot on Eircom. Try and keep using the internet to a minimum...and don't even consider paying for ADSL...the prices are utter insanity. They more money we give them, the less likely they will lower their prices or offer SNL.

Of course....this isn't gonna happen...I just thought it'd be cool if we all rebelled against Eircom. :)

*end rant*

Kyro.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭R. Daneel Olivaw

I think there any many that WOULD boycott Eircom if there was any absolute choice at all, but there isn't. I think when IOL/Esat launched SNL back in 1999 or so (I can't remember), there was a lot of talk of the time about Eircom offering flat rate access as well, and that it would involved competition, and prices would be all good. Also, the LLU was doing the rounds a lot in the papers, and the ADSL trials got some publicity, so it appeared at least for a time that things were OK.....but Eircom never showed up with LLU or flat-rate, and saw the money rolling in from Esat, who expected to be dealing wholesale bandwidth by at least this year at the latest.

Still, if I "boycott" Eircom, how do I go online? Pay £188/month for satellite access? To tell you the truth, it's looking attractive. One crowd offer £14.99 Sterling one way access unlimited monthlu downloads at 128k, and extra charges per MB if you want to d/l at 200k+.

Still have crappy pings, and paying per minute for online games, but downloading software and updates would be limitless for only £15 a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Digi_Tilmitt

I would definetly support a boycotte on eircom and I am willing to ration internet time. Perhaps we could get boards to indorse it and then we could scare eircom into submission.

Tis worth a try and if it fails, we'll storm Dáil Éireann and raise the jolly roger, and sing songs of old 'til daylight parts us..................arrrrrrrrrr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

As far as I can recall, CUT (Campaign for Unmetered Communications) arranged several "Internet free" days in the UK with great success. They were even being promoted by AOL over there, and from articles I read afterwards it was calculated that BT had lost millions of pounds through these strikes.

So indeed: maybe something like this could be done here in Ireland as well? An Internet-free day could be arranged on the first Sunday of every month untill Eircom introduces affordable unmetered access. At the very least, this would put a dent in Eircom's profits, especially if we can get every Internet user in Ireland involved. This could also include a ban on making local calls, and possibly national and international calls as well. I, for one, would be happy to take part. And I think a lot of people would feel the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

Originally posted by Urban Weigl
    An Internet-free day could be arranged on the first Sunday of every month untill Eircom introduces affordable unmetered access ... I, for one, would be happy to take part. And I think a lot of people would feel the same way.

Yep count me in too!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

We'd need a good bit of media involvement - nothign worse than organising it and having it a failure (IMHO)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Internet free days are a waste of time imho it hurts those of us trying to use the net more than it'll ever hurt Eircom.

If we want to boycott I say boycott anyone who accepts Eircom advertising, and write to them to make this known. Make Eircom a persona non-gratis on the net.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Internet free days are a waste of time imho it hurts those of us trying to use the net more than it'll ever hurt Eircom.

I don't agree with that I'm afraid. You're telling me that in order to get some media attention on the problem, you wouldn't be willing or able to give up your internet connection for even a day, or a weekend? I run my business almost entirely on the Internet, and it wouldn't bother me in the least. What are you doing that's so important hmmm, transatlantic brain surgery on Internet2 or somthing? :)

If we want to boycott I say boycott anyone who accepts Eircom advertising, and write to them to make this known. Make Eircom a persona non-gratis on the net.

I like that though. You'd never convince National League fans not to go to matches, but I reckon it'd be pretty easy to convince people not to visit De Paper's website for a few days. Or The Register for that matter (sorry lads, but you know yerself :)).

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Originally posted by dahamsta

I don't agree with that I'm afraid. You're telling me that in order to get some media attention on the problem, you wouldn't be willing or able to give up your internet connection for even a day, or a weekend?

aaah media attention is something else, but I believe the original suggestion was to cut down on use of Eircom related products entirely. One day would be fine, more and I'd stick to my original thoughts that it's a waste of time :)

Personally I think the boycotting of those who accept advertising would (if it got sufficient numbers) both get media attention and hurt Eircom in a real and meaningful fashion (or perhaps they'd take out more sponsorships...)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

aaah media attention is something else, but I believe the original suggestion was to cut down on use of Eircom related products entirely. One day would be fine, more and I'd stick to my original thoughts that it's a waste of time :)

Personally I think the boycotting of those who accept advertising would (if it got sufficient numbers) both get media attention and hurt Eircom in a real and meaningful fashion (or perhaps they'd take out more sponsorships...)

Well, I think both would be effective, although I'll be honest and admit I didn't think of the latter. I'm preparing a proposal for review about this at the moment, and I'll add that. Cheers.

adam

If some one is involved with a newspaper we can get them to bring attention to it. Also internet free days are an effective measure. But the media is the main thing. We can get thousands to support the boycott through the media, and it will scare eircom too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

I'd be very much in favour of a well publicised, well thought out, well organised, coordinated "Net Free" Day.

[insight into newspaper editors mind....

Strike Action = Column Inches = more advertising heeeheeee! ]

Maybe we should try and organise in conjunction w/ the campaign. I do also consider that some businesses will not be able to cease use out of necessity and that is understandable, but the gesture itself is what is neccessary:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

I think I've mentioned this somewhere before but anyway, how much would it cost for a full-page-advertisement in say the Sunday Independent* and other broadsheets?

Eircom regularly use these papers to sell their products to business', surely we could use the same tactic to inform them of how badly they are being ripped-off and, as this topic is about it, let them know of the strike action, if any?

A full-page advert debunking Eircoms claims, directly opposite the I-Stream ad would be just lovely.

But it'd probably cost way too much :(

[*I mention that paper 'cos a survey has shown that they have over 1million readers every week with 600,000 in Dublin.]

£15-20k per page in the Irish Times :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

How many members do we have? Last I heard it was 1000, but it's sure to be a lot more now. Tenner each, ah g'wan. :)

Nah, there wouldn't be enough members willing to do that, in my opinion. I'd like to be proven wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Originally posted by 80project.com
    £15-20k per page in the Irish Times :(

Seriously?! Christ on a bike... and Eircom throw those adverts around like nobodies business!

How about they bloody subsidise the cost of giving us free dsl by cutting back on advertising!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭infomat

Originally posted by Kyro

Anyway, I suggest a Boycot on Eircom. Try and keep using the internet to a minimum...and don't even consider paying for ADSL...the prices are utter insanity. They more money we give them, the less likely they will lower their prices or offer SNL.

Kyro.

This is not at all practical. If you did Eircom whould just claim that there was no demand and would be glad to be rid of people that actually want access to the Internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭TomF

I'll gladly stay off on any Sunday(s) we can agree on. Anything to strike a blow against Eircom's monopoly of Internet access and newspaper attention!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Originally posted by R. Daneel Olivaw
    Still, if I "boycott" Eircom, how do I go online? Pay £188/month for satellite access? To tell you the truth, it's looking attractive. One crowd offer £14.99 Sterling one way access unlimited monthlu downloads at 128k, and extra charges per MB if you want to d/l at 200k+.

Still have crappy pings, and paying per minute for online games, but downloading software and updates would be limitless for only £15 a month.

'Fraid not. You are forgetting that with one-way sat you still have to connect via your phone for the duration of your connection (unless you are using EOL for their queing service, and I've only read tales of woe about that). I've had the big bills to prove it :-)

I did seriously consider going the ntl route, but decided to wait and see what the adsl story would be. Hard to feel anything but despondent.

Originally posted by PiE

How about they bloody subsidise the cost of giving us free dsl by cutting back on advertising!

A question some of us sufferers have been asking for a while now.
    BTW thats w/out mentioning all their TV & Radio Adverts (ie.like during the champions league on TV3 2nite) and God Knows how much they cost a pop!
    Most marketing experts (and here I exclude €ircon's marketing dept.) will tell you TV adverts are a waste of money (relative to cost & polulation) unless the market is something the size of the UK's. But then again, they dont believe following expert advice;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

I suggested this before I think. But I don't know would this have a hufe effect. 1000 people staying off for the day wouldn't make them blink.

Now a fullpage ad in one of the broadsheets. A tenner each would work for me. I'd pay £10 or £15.

However would this money be better spent on something else ? Seems a lot to spend on one ad. You'd really need to have it on most broadsheets for it to make impact.

Turning up at eircom sponsored events with the equivalent of a John 3.16 sign and getting photo ops would be a leet pr stunt.

Eircom 1 Consumer Rights 0
    Eircom Scored another OG with 3gb cap !

Etc

DM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

as youse have been saying, a big broadsheet ad. IrelandOffline is a great start, but the only people who see it are those who spend a lot of time online(99% of boards users). IrelandOffline will actually have to go Offline i.e. into the public domain, on tv, in the papers, on posters, and do a proper campaign to get eircom to listen. It's almost like the general population(those who spend little or no time online) listens to what eircom say. If anyone saw the Irish Independent's 'get connected' supplement this w/e, whoever was writing was praising the arrival of eircom's adsl, saying how great it was, how it had a huge(wtf??!) 3GB cap, and it would only be affordable for companies now and home users would take it up later. He seemed to think this was OK!!!! Despite the fact that he was writing for a 'tech' paper, he obviously only used the net for email and just spouted off what eircom gave him on some litte fact sheet. Anyone who spends more than 3 hours online per week and has a 56K at home, but access to high-speed in work, for example will know what they are talking about when they complain about 56K being too slow. Everyone else thinks that this is just the way it is. They said there was demand for only 20,000 users?! yeah right - if everyone knew what adsl did and how cheap they could get it, I think we'd be close to 200,000 people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Originally posted by seamus
    If anyone saw the Irish Independent's 'get connected' supplement .....saying how great it was.....He seemed to think this was OK!!!!

Lets remind ourselves who owns the Sunday Independent (Sindo) and who is the guy taking over Eircrumb - Dr Sir Anthony J. O'Reilly

Despite the fact that he was writing for a 'tech' paper, he obviously only used the net for email and just spouted off what eircom gave him on some litte fact sheet
    [/QUOTE]

Most tech journos just spit out press releases anyway. Theres only a few tech journos out there that understanf what they're writing about. JMCC would be one of those brave but few.

If we get enough support for it i'll pay £10-£15 towards it. We could try a peaceful protest outside Eircom's HQ, that would really get some press.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

Threads been moved to http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32150

.....no, it hasnt really :p

I just thought it be cool to say that like a Mod! :D

Ireland offline needs YOU! (big picture of Bard with outstretched finger in one hand, and a hunk of pizza in the other.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

If anyone is reading this and lives in Chorus' range for wireless phone - then get on the ball and ring 1850 202025! Thats what I did to boycott eircon. Get the old line ripped out of your house and get Chorus to put theirs in - wireless at the moment is the only way to get around giving any money to Eircon.

Let me tell you it felt great when Eircon rang asking why I had dropped their phone/isdn service and wondered if i would come back (they didnt even give me incentives to return, just hoped i had done something by mistake)

Besides, With Chorus you only pay the cost of the calls anyway...so if you are complaining and you havent asked Chorus if they can supply wireless phone for you then you havent tried everything yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Threads been moved to http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32150

.....no, it hasnt really :p

I just thought it be cool to say that like a Mod! :D

Ireland offline needs YOU! (big picture of Bard with outstretched finger in one hand, and a hunk of pizza in the other.)

Here I am, munching the remains of last nights pizza and chucking lager cans in the bin and all I can say to that is...

:confused: HUH??? :confused:

What you on about Kyro? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

What you on about Kyro?

You know what I mean. Your the boss now! :) No point in posting here anymore...the idea is in action!

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭James_M

Chorus is also owned by Tony O'Reilly and co - with Princes Holdings.

The plot thickens. They're all connected as far as I know

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by seamus

Ah, I was wondering who had my first name taken. Oddly enough you managed to register after me and still get the username i couldn't. The plot thickens.

• Advertisement

You know what I mean. Your the boss now! :) No point in posting here anymore...the idea is in action!

:confused:

Advertisement