Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mice

• 25-09-2001 11:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭

I recently replaced my old broken MS Intelimouse explorer with a new one. Does anyone know why they always seem to break after 18 monts or so? Placing my new one alongside my old one, the new one seemed bigger so I was wondering if that was the cause. The mouse works by using a laser to read the surface - so what's a surface? Well the mouse is said to work on any surface so a surface is an object that is Xmm +/- approx 0.1mm away from the mouse? So if the "shoes" in the corners of the mouse have worn away, and the mouse is now too close to the table for it to be counted as a surface, is that why it's not working? I was thinking of glueing something on to test this theory out but thought it might be akin to making myself a tinfoil hat :D

Anyway - the real point of this topic is : what's the best mouse in production today? I was looking at some really weird trackball ones in the PC Superstore but didn't have a clue if they'd be any good or not. I was also thinking of buying a MS Strategic Commander. Does anyone own one of these and find it useful?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i have a 5 button optical moose from microsoft and i have to say its the nicest one ive used yet.
    its nice and small, fits snug inthe hand, and is very responsive, and most importantly,. i dont have to pick crap of the rollers every day, which is nice
    and it cost me 35 quid sterling.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I recently replaced my old broken MS Intelimouse explorer with a new one. Does anyone know why they always seem to break after 18 monts or so? Placing my new one alongside my old one, the new one seemed bigger so I was wondering if that was the cause.

I have one as well, and I have to admit their pretty cool, much an' all as I hate buying or liking Microshaft stuff (I have a Natural keyboard with all the fudgies too). The only thing that annoys me is the fifth button, commonly used for Forward on the browser, is unusable - I can't reach it properly with my thumb. But then maybe I have weird hands. Anyway, why does any stuff break after 18 months? Because it's designed to. Every consumer product nowadays is designed to last its warranty period (what's the warranty on one of these) and no longer, so you'll go out and buy more!

The mouse works by using a laser to read the surface - so what's a surface?

The anal retentive in me kicks in again - it uses an LED, not a laser. If it used a laser, there'd be a nasty warning on it.

Well the mouse is said to work on any surface so a surface is an object that is Xmm +/- approx 0.1mm away from the mouse? So if the "shoes" in the corners of the mouse have worn away, and the mouse is now too close to the table for it to be counted as a surface, is that why it's not working? I was thinking of glueing something on to test this theory out but thought it might be akin to making myself a tinfoil hat :D

If you hurt yourself from sticking something to the underside of your mouse, you deserve to be hurt. :) Seriously, unless you connect it up to a hig-power transformer and try and do the job while SCUBA diving, you can't do anything wrong. If you're worried, plug it out of the machine before you start. Do it though, I'd be curious about the results. You could very well be right.

Anyway - the real point of this topic is : what's the best mouse in production today? I was looking at some really weird trackball ones in the PC Superstore but didn't have a clue if they'd be any good or not. I was also thinking of buying a MS Strategic Commander. Does anyone own one of these and find it useful?

No comment on this part anyway, I'm happy with my shameful M$ mouse.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

have the same mouse here, and 5 buttons + wheel is a god send :)

though I have large hands...

putting less distance shouldn't make a difference, I just tried mine on a piece where the centre lay on it, but the feet didn't, and it worked fine.

It could just be a case of blown LED, the red light is seperate to the LED, and in fact white light would be better, (i remember reading an article where a guy modded his mouse to white light :) and it responded faster afterwards when gone to sleep, course red looks cooler...)

new mouse it looks like, course they are cheap enough, if this one broke in 18 months time, i'd go out and get another one, £40 for 18 month's use isn't too bad for a comfortable mouse you use every single day whenever you're at the computer....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I had a Genius Netmouse Pro. It hadn't a scroll wheel as such, more of a scroll paddle. It was a hell of a lot more accurate for switching weapons in HL.
    I'm typing this ona class Fujitsu Seimens keyboard in the IT labs in NUIG. Gorgeous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

balls.
    using Rob's account in th IT lan.
    Cursed cookies.
    that was meh post up there.
    My bad :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I didn't mean tin-foil hat as in getting electrocuted - I meant I didn't want to look like a raving lunatic! :)

"There's that guy who glues little shoes on his mice!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by Blitzkrieger
    I recently replaced my old broken MS Intelimouse explorer with a new one. Does anyone know why they always seem to break after 18 monts or so?

Two of my MS mice did the exact same thing (same model). I would at a guess say they make them so they break so they can sell you more.

Logitech Mouse Man Wheel (optical) is the best mouse I have come across so far.

Advertisement