Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linux graphics problems

• 22-01-2000 1:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭

I am some unlucky b@astard when it comes to Linux. EVERY time that I've tried to install it (in various different flavours...) something has gone horribly wrong... This time, its Mandrake Linux 6.1 and the problem is with my graphics. My graphics card is a bog-standard Cirrus Logic 5446 PCI chipset (2mb). I'm asked to probe or manually set up my graphics card during installation. When i try the "probe" option, it detects something like 640x480 8-bit. (On repeated attempts it detects stupid modes like 1024x768 32-bit, which the card is incapable of) When I try to manually set up graphics modes (which i did correctly smile.gif), it says that it worked, then when it boots into KDE the graphics are all fúcked again.

Any idea wtf is wrong with it now??

- Munch
    - Visit The Fortress

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

It's just a sad fact of life, that your graphics card is obviously not supported.
    Just get something from S3, you know the £20 cards you can get in PC Peripherals.
    They're compatable with just about everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yeah - but these Cirrus Logic cards are compatible with practically everything too...

*curses*

- Munch
    - Visit The Fortress

Ya' see THIS is why ppl don't use Linux!
    BECAUSE IT WON'T ****ING WORK!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 nosox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

dead-o-santa it wont ****ing work only if you're not ****ing clever enough to be able to make it work

stephen try running xf86config and selecting modes manually, , or XF86Setup if you have that... choose "standard svga adapter" or something maybe
    xwindows will probably try to switch to the highest mode by default, so if it doesnt display maybe try switching res. by pressing ctrl,alt, and the numpad "+" or "-" signs

does it display distorted graphics, or nothing at all?

• Advertisement

Well in my case, there are currently no drivers that'll work for my "unsupported" hardware.
    So maybe I should be "clever" enough to code my own set of device drivers?

Well excuse me if I'm not that clever.

It displays distorted graphics - I've tried changing resolutions from 640x480 to 800x600 - still distorted. I'll try running those config programs in a while...

- Munch
    - Visit The Fortress

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

It sounds like the frequency on your monitor might be set to too high a setting.
    run XF86Setup and try using one of the preset monitor. Start off with a fairly basic one and work your way up.

Gav

My monitor isn't on the list of preset ones, but I have tried "Generic Monitor" and "Generic Multisync" to no avail. I know that I have entered the correct frequencies when I set up a custom monitor - I have the monitor's (basic 14") manual here beside me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

i've had a sh!t load of problems with linux...
    but now it works
    when u load up X/KDE and u get a garbled display try
    ctrl-alt-+
    this cycles the res and one of them should work

dm

• Advertisement
Advertisement