Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you take part in the proposed IrelandOffline BLACKOUT ?

Options
  • 26-09-2001 1:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

Question as in the topic:

Would you take part in the proposed IrelandOffline BLACKOUT?

( see dahamsta's thread for more info. on this proposal: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=32149 )

[EDIT:] I VOTE... YES!!!

Would you take part in the IrelandOFFLine BLACKOUT this October? 201 votes

Yes. I WOULD take part.
    0% 0 votes
    No. I CANT take part.
    88% 177 votes
    No. I WOULDNT take part.
    3% 7 votes
    Maybe. I'm unsure at this time.
    8% 17 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

I'm a relatively heavy user, but only for personnal reasons....
    I would have no problem participating in any such event, and i think it's a great idea.

Spread the word folks, and let's hope this takes off :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

C'mon everyone! Lets show them what we're made of! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

I'd definately participate and as I posted on the other thread I have several sites which have agreed to take down their pages to be replaced with an IOFFL info page for the weekend.

.logic. adsless@eircom.net

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

It'll be hard but i'll try ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Yes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Straker

A definite YES. 'Nuff said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

Great idea dahamsta, i said yes. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Wow... pretty resounding "YES!" so far...

Folks, - if you're voting, please post too, if you don't mind. If you're going to say "No" - it'd be nice to hear the reasons why not.

This is only a suggestion/request, of course. Feel free to keep your preference secret if necessary... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

A definite YES!

Anytime, any place, for as long as needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Yes but not the weekend,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Certainly, I've no qualms about saving money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 541 ✭✭✭chern0byl

i voted no, but if it goes ahead, then im with you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Certainly, I've no qualms about saving money.

Pie, if this goes ahead, that quote is going on the website. :)

i voted no, but if it goes ahead, then im with you.

Which begs the question: Why did you vote no?

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭kendragon

OH hell thats a big YES from me, Its about time that this country's Government and Telecomunications realised that we are deadly serious about what we want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

ahh sad as it sounds, it'd kill me to stay away from the modren interweb for a day - but you got a yes from me.

Obviously weekends make most sense for a residential boycott - or am i the only one who stays online for most of Sunday? - but would also be the hardest...

hrmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

HECK YES, of course! At the very least, our voice will certainly be heard louder than before. I'm sure it'll also be good for PR, and will hopefully get some press.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

Yes, absolutley!

The response is fantastic - certainly more than I was expecting - but although I appreciate honesty, I'm having difficulty understanding the logic behind voting not to take part. Not being able to is fine, as is a maybe vote, but actually refusing to take part? Why? Can anyone who voted this way explain why to me? Is it on religious grounds or something? (Just kidding!)

No flaming now folks, everyone should have a say. I just want to make sure nobody is misunderstanding what I'm proposing here.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

i'm in!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I think this is fantastic - if it takes off (and signs are great so far) we could really show Eircom that we're not prepared to just lie down. I'm personally willing to go weeks without the internet if it helps our cause.

Well played dahamsta and co - you're doing a great job

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 disConnected

Yes! Yes! And Yes!

No, I only voted once :)...

But I am definitely in. Let's show them how serious we are about getting things going....

disConnected

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I'm definitely up for it. Seems like a good idea. But we need more people to follow suit. C'mon people.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Macker

In

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

well.. I *would* vote yes... but I moved my comp up here to galway with me and I don't have any outside access with it at all... there's a phone in my room but only for incoming calls.

the only net i get is from the comps in the college... but,in keeping with the spirit of the blackout, I will try not to go online for the weekend :)

Well, that's fair enough, but you can still vote "yes" Mordeth, you can still take part. Print up some flyers and distribute them around the college. Do posters and stick 'em on the notice boards.

Here's one where you can really chance yer arm - lobby the college to take their website down for the weekend, or support the protest in some other way. Point out to them how much the student population of Ireland would benefit from flat-rate and broadband access to the Internet. If you don't want to do it on your own, stick up posters now asking for help.

C'mon folks, am I the only one coming up with ideas here? You're an intelligent bunch, set those minds to work!

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I voted no. You wanted to hear my reasoning - any snotty replies to this will be ignored :) Sorry for sounding so negative with these I know how hard everyone is trying to come up with ideas.

1. Not using the internet for 1 out of 365 days will not hurt Eircom in any meaningful sense.
    2. I haven't seen a huge PR impact from other groups worldwide who tried this. How do we measure it. "A group of users say they're not going to use the internet for a day, bohoohoo".
    3. I'm not willing to do this on a weekend, as it's the only time I have flat rate (ntl) and generally the only time I have to update my site (50,000 visitors a month), talk to my online friends, search the job sites etc. If it was held on a weekday when I didn't use the net at home, then it's all a bit fake on my part isn't it.

If we were to do something, I'd like to see something significant that would really *hurt* Eircom.

I've suggested
    - boycott advertisers accepting Eircom ads

Others might be
    - boycott eircom.net & indigo - I don't see why any supporter of IOFFL cannot use a competing product
    - flood their customer support and advice lines with queries requiring answers.
    - prevent Eircom users from accessing our websites (as I believe suggested by Tom Murphy). Alternatively redirect for 30 seconds to another page setting out our grievances.
    - challenge each and every public statement made by Eircom - be it in seminars, on websites or in the media.
    - change your telephone provider to someone, anyone, else.

I think at the root of it I just consider this an innefectual protest which will hurt me more than Eircom.

I voted no. You wanted to hear my reasoning - any snotty replies to this will be ignored :) Sorry for sounding so negative with these I know how hard everyone is trying to come up with ideas.

Thanks for posting hmmm, it's appreciated. I don't want to attack or flame anyone (and I'm sure Bard will stomp hard on anyone who does, because this pair of threads is focusing nicely), I'm just curious as to why some people refuse (as against not being able) to take part, because I want to make sure there are no misconceptions that can't be cleared up with a bit of simple dialogue. And I think your posting proves that that can happen. (And I'm not being snotty when I say that.)

1. Not using the internet for 1 out of 365 days will not hurt Eircom in any meaningful sense.

It certainly won't hurt them financially in any meaningful sense, I'll grant you that - although it might put them a wee bit out of pocket on the day - but money isn't all Eircom is concerned with, and it's certainly not what I'm concerned with when I make these suggestions, apart from trying to save myself a few quid in the long run. They've spent dozens of millions of pounds building their brand, developing it to make them look like a caring, sharing company that values its customers. We all know that's simply not true, but The Man In The Street isn't as clued-up as us.

Look at their television and magazine advertisments: families hugging and kissing; children playing; happy, smiling faces everywhere. But you're not happy, are you? None of us are, and I would go so far as to say that anyone who has actually had to deal directly with Eircom since their inception - as against just making the phone calls and paying the bills - has had at least one occasion when they've seen the true character of Eircom - an arrogant, greedy, anti-competitive organisation that genuinely doesn't care about anyone only itself.

Our task in this protest isn't to hurt Eircom financially, but to hurt their brand, to make sure people see through the lies and fallacies to the underlying evil core of the organisation. We have to show the people who don't know any better what Eircom are really like. We have to demonstrate that they're not just screwing us: the heavy Internet user, the nerd, the geek, the gamer; but that they're screwing them too: the man in the street, the monthly shopper, the daily email checker, the occasional pleasure surfer.

Let me project a best-case scenario for you. It might not work out like this, but it could, so humour me for a moment. Let's say that on the weekend in question, a fairly large number of people stop using their comms on Friday, and join in on the protest over the weekend, by: cutting back on non-essential calls; using their mobiles as an alternative; removing their websites for the weekend; distributing flyers; pinning posters to notice boards; attending a rally in their city; etc, etc.

All of those will draw attention, but of all of the above, I believe the rallies and the removed websites will have the biggest impact, because the telco's will lie about effects, and play The BLACKOUT down. But rallies and black websites are visual, and I'm pretty certain that if a user *is* surfing the net that day, and they see more than one site removed and replaced with The BLACKOUT page, they'll tell their friends. And the buzz will reach the media, and the media will pick it up. Not just the national media, but also the international tech sites like Slashdot, The Register and Wired.

They love this stuff, and although reaction on sites like The Reg and Wired is limited by the lack of a visible discussion forum, it will be noticed by the national and international communities, it will be picked up on Plastic and in the Delphi forums. And believe me, if you get CmdrTaco to accept an article on the topic on Slashdot, the Open Source and hacker communities will light the board up with cries of support. That's the way the Internet community works, especially when the Honest User is being opressed. And we are being oppressed.

But that's not our ultimate goal, our ultimate goal is bringing this to the attention of the people of Ireland, and so the government of Ireland. And I think that will happen - people will start seeing through the bluff and lies to what Eircom really are, and - and here's the nub - we'll hurt Eircom's brand, and so their lobbying power, because they will have lost respect. The government will realise that the people as an action group are far more powerful than Eircom will ever be, and they'll *have* to stand up for them. And Eircom will have to at least start thinking about complying.

It's democracy hmmmm, it's guaranteed in the Irish Constitution, and better, it's democracy with an approaching election. You have to let the people speak, and if you can, you have to join in, or you have no right to complain.

2. I haven't seen a huge PR impact from other groups worldwide who tried this. How do we measure it. "A group of users say they're not going to use the internet for a day, bohoohoo".

And that's exactly why our protest has to be bigger, better, faster (fnaaar!), more; that's exactly why I've taken all the suggestions - and continuing suggestions - and rolled them into one. The more ways we come up with of protesting on the weekend, the more methods we can provide to comms users, the more they can do, and the bigger effect the protest will have. As long as it's concerted, and not fragmented, it will work.

3. I'm not willing to do this on a weekend, as it's the only time I have flat rate (ntl) and generally the only time I have to update my site (50,000 visitors a month), talk to my online friends, search the job sites etc. If it was held on a weekday when I didn't use the net at home, then it's all a bit fake on my part isn't it.

I have to be snotty here for a second, but I don't mean any personal offense by it, ok? What you said there is endemic of Irish democracy - "I'm not willing". "I'm not willing", "I can't", "I won't", "I don't want to". To be honest with you hmmm, I don't care if that's the only time you have flat-rate Internet access - I don't have it at all. I don't care about your site - I run plenty myself thank you, with a hell of a lot more traffic than you. I don't care about your business - I run my entire business on the Internet.

If you're not willing to make a sacrifice, however small, to better your comms, you don't *deserve* better comms. You have plenty of options open to you, and not using the Internet at the weekend is only one of them, and I've made that *crystal* clear over the last few days. You say you don't want to do it at the weekend, then don't, do it on Friday. You have 50,000 vistors a month? Well then, you're a prime candidate to make an important statement aren't you?

If you can honestly tell me that taking down your site for the weekend, or even a day, is going to put you in an unrecoverable position, then I accept that, that's ok, but protest in another way then. If I haven't come up with something you think viable yet, use one of your own suggestions, and brand it as The Blackout and link to The BLACKOUT site so people know why you're doing it.

But don't say you're not willing, please. Be confident, be optimistic, be upbeat. Get involved, take part, do something. Tell your friends, anything, just *do something*.

I'm not going to go through your suggestions one by one, because they're good, and I respect you for making the effort. But remember, the money we save ourselves and take off Eircom on the day is unimportant, it's a non-entity, I don't care about it. We're trying to hurt Eircom's brand here, we're trying to bring the evil empire down by showing people that they *are* an evil empire. We're telling the government we're not taking it any more, and they have to do something, now.

I hope that wasn't too snotty, genuinely.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Thanks a serious reply. You have to draw the distinction between someone who isn't willing to take part in *this*, but will take part in *something else* (I've taken the half day off work for the seminar to help fill the seats etc etc). I'm afraid you're right on one thing - I'm simply not willing to give up the time, now it's Eircom who force me to use the weekend only but there you go. I don't believe we control the number of websites needed to make this effective to non-IOFFL members. I don't believe anyone we are targetting gives two figs what's on slashdot or the register or wired. I don't really believe Eircom will care.

I'm leaving this thread now because my super-ego is just too susceptible to a flamefest at the moment :-7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Yes,

Blackout All the Way

Just name the day(s);)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭GavinJCD

I don't make too many posts here, but I do read the boards almost every day, and I am definitley going to take part in this blackout. Stick it to €ircon, as my friend would say, they are all a bunch of arseholes.

Advertisement