Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six

Options
  • 26-09-2001 10:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭

I'm just about finished reading Lord of the Rings. Took the best part of six months (I'm a slow reader, so sue me) but I managed it.

So onto another monster sized book; Tom Clancy's Rainbow six.
    Anyone else read it? Opinions would be appreciated. I've heard that he is a gun-happy, America loving, white-boy....but the game was good. :)

So, any thoughts before I go delving into this one?

P.s Ill try a poll while I'm at it :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

yea i read it about a year ago - big fking hardback too

its not too bad all in all - the usual from him

[ot] stay far far away from any of the net force books

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I wouldn't say its the usual from him, really.

Most of his stuff is huge in scope, and can be quite hard to follow. I enjoyed Rainbow Six though - the story was a bit weak toward the end but it's certainly very readable, and the various scenarios Rainbow are called to are quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It helps, but is not necessary to have read the rest of the 'Jack Ryan' books, as Mr Clark features from time to time. Ideally, read the books in the order they were published or alternatively chronological order:

Red Storm Rising Standalone story line

Jack Ryan / John Clark Books This is the sequence of the storyline. Dates are published dates
    Without Remorse (1993)
    Patriot Games (written 197.., published 1987)
    The Hunt for Red October (1984)
    Clear and Present Danger (1989)
    The Cardinal of the Kremlin (1991)
    The Sum of All Fears (1992)
    Debt of Honor (1994)
    Executive Orders (1996)
    Rainbow Six (1998)

Avoid the Power Plays and Op-Centre series

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

I bought Rainbow Six about a year ago, the big fat hardback one. :) Not bad.

I found an old copy of Cardinal of the Kremlin about a year and a half ago in my grandparent's place, quite liked it, have reread it twice since :)

[edit]Net Force oh god they were crap. :) The "Powerplays" - ruthless.com and Shadow Watch weren't too bad, but I didn't like them a whole lot.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Have not read Rainbow 6 yet, but just finished "The Bear and the Dragon" (2000) which has mention of Rainbow 6 in it.
    First 2/3 awful, akin to reading a political treatise, the last 1/3 dealing with the war was excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

R6 isnt bad.

Clancy moves away from his Jack Ryan fixation every once in a while and uses the same world for a different spin.

Typical Clancy style....so if you like any of his other stuff, you'll probably like this.

I wouldnt say you need to read the rest of the books, but Debt Of Honour is also a "John Clarke" book, rather than a Jack Ryan one, and is about Clarke's past. Possibly worth reading to fill in some blanks, but you can live without it.

jc

Advertisement