Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Networking problem....

• 26-09-2001 11:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi guys here is a problem I am trying to resolve since last night....
    Any help is appreciated, I know it's only a small bugger in the end, but I am stumped...

Member of Domain and Admin user group.
    Have a PC called say MyPC01 on the network, can ping DHCP etc.
    Now ,however, after setting up some shares on it (it's a Win2K)and given the Administrators group Full Control in the Permissions and sharing folder in Explorer I am unable to browse to the shares on my PC from another PC.....
    I am a member of the Admin group also. Access from either NT4 or Win2k to my shares is not possible from \\server\share network cmd.
    I dunno what the hell it is, must be a security setting or something, also the PC name is NOT appearing in the Network Neighborhood......I cann't remember how to hid them here....the shares are on a 2k machine...

Any ideas ???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭djmagra

ok, don't get your entire drift, a wee bit hungover this morning (dbl Vodka and red bulls for a fiver in the local last night) but I think what you need to do is go into the shares for the folder, then click on the security tab and add the users in there as well. Yes they may be entered under the Users Tab, but they also have to go under Security in certian cases.
    As for the machine not appearing in Network Neighbourhood, it should, we all know that, but welcome to the wonderful world of Win2K. I remember I set up an advanced server on a network a while back in a 50 PC network. I was just setting it up as an SQL server and nothing else, it was pulling its IP etc from another server. Now this PC could see 48 machines, all 48 could see it, yet two other machines could see each other and everything else, but not the Server, and likewise the server could not see them. All a little strange considering all the PC's are set up from the same Ghost Image, are all on the same domain, and all pulling their IP's from the same DHCP. In the end we decided to re-ghost the two machines giving trouble, and hey presto all worked peachy, don't ask why!!
    Ok, I'm rambling, just don't wanna have to get up and do anything else, so I thought I'd throw that in and delay some time!! ;-)

Advertisement