Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Petition?

Options
  • 26-09-2001 12:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

I am more than willing to sit outside GPO on saturday getting "Thousends" of names to hand in to whoever you hand them into
    all i ask is someone helps with strategy and poster saying why their saying and petition paper...
    I live next to gpo so no problem

and moral support on the day too:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Don't write this off - I'd like to see some discussion on this idea - while most of our campaigning has been done either on-line or behind closed doors (in meetings with Eircom/Esat/etc.), we haven't had many 'real-world' events such as seminars, information days, or petition signings at the GPO... :) - we're only a young organisation, and already we've got over 1,000 members, had a seminar in which all the major players came together and, - oh yeah, - been hit by damaging DoS attacks on our web site...

This (the GPO idea) is just yet another good idea that we shouldn't let be forgotten. Imagine our committee members arriving at the next meeting with the minister or with eircom and presenting a list of thousands of names...

maybe the statement on the petition should have something specifically to do with ADSL and it's pricing, seeing as that is one of the hot topics of the moment...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Originally posted by Bard
    maybe the statement on the petition should have something specifically to do with ADSL and it's pricing...

Or maybe it should be something along the lines of asking ODTR to pull Eircom's licence, or seeking ODTR's powers to be improved so they can at least have some clout, and not be pi***d on by Eircom all the time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Would it be possible to tie this in with "The Blackout" (I love typing that), i.e. add it to the list of things to do that weekend? I'll gladly stand on Pana for the day roaring at people. Like I said in another thread, I'll have bugger all else to do that weekend. :)

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

How about sending out 25 line sheets to all the members and getting them to get all their relations to sign a line if they want cheaper net access ?

25 X 1000
    or
    50 X 1000
    or
    100 X 1000

Thats a lot of signatures. U'd personally know 25-50 people, so its not a great effort to get signatures.

Damien.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I'd be more than willing to sign/distribute petitions and stand outside the GPO :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭NeilF

Originally posted by JANER
    I am more than willing to sit outside GPO on saturday

I'm not sure a petition is the way to go at the moment. The committee is taking a soft approach with Eircom and it is probably better to stay on the right side of them for now. However, if things got worse (such as Eircom refusing to meet with IrelandOffline or refusing to offer us anything) then we would need to start a more public campaign. Firstly educating and making the general public more aware of what is happening and then getting them involved via a petition etc.

This may be a big idea but could you imagine the panel from the seminar on Prime Time, or even the Late Late Show? We need to get our message across to ordinary people, who may have never used a computer, before we have a petition. People need to equate Eircom with holding up the development and progress of Ireland. Then when you're outside the GPO people a lot more people will know what we are about.

If we just have a petition, with nothing before it, Joe Public will just be confused and bewildered. Ask a general question ("I want to see the cost of the Internet reduced.") and most of the general public would just think we're freeloaders or have nothing better to do. Sure aren't we the e-hub of Europe? Are ye from Telecom? etc. Too specific or technical (mention ADSL or FRIACO) and no one will know what we're on about.

If we do go for a more public campaign can we petition Mark Thomas to come over here, dress up as a mouse, and go to the next Eircom AGM? :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

If we do go for a more public campaign can we petition Mark Thomas to come over here, dress up as a mouse, and go to the next Eircom AGM?

I'll supply the mouse costume if you'll do it NeilF!

And I ain't kidding either.

adam

Advertisement