Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Novell 4.11 server

• 19-01-2000 3:52pm
    Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭

Is this an ongoing problem, or it it just happen? Sometimes 95 machines are slow to pick up machines on the network after they are booted. If it suddenly appears on one machine then the others will pick it up soon after.
    The only other piece of advice is to check the network settings on the 95 machines - compare them to the NT machine and add any protocols that are missing and generally fiddle around with the settings.

Draco

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

ehhh, walked in Monday, 1/2 machines in the office not working sad.gif

funnily enough, the DOS machine in the IT room picks it grand! smile.gif

If a W95 PC manages to not get turned off it stays connected to the network. If it reboots it cannot reconnect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Hmm.. could be a few things. Try using the net command from dos.
    open up a dos prompt and type net use ( from he win 95 machines )

This will give a list of available servers and shares in the workgroup.

Are the computers meant to log on to the actual server or just log on with peer to peer networking and later access the server when needed ?

I'm not really up on my ipx ( jeese i sound really techie there ). imho i reckon it is somat to do with the browse master. Have a look at one of the machines, set the browse master to no on the windows machine and see what happens.

not sure after that. Give us a buzz if it still don't work and i'll come up with somat else ... if i can

Gav
    gavin@redbrick.dcu.ie

Anyone know how to change an existing IPX number to a new one?

We've got a problem: Win95 machines won't pick the server but WinNT don't seem to have a problem at all.

Any ideas?

(company too cheap to spring for a support contract when server was installed sad.gif )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i know nothing about this sort of stuff, but.......
    have you added ipx protocol to your network adapter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

In novell client properties on the '95 machines check the frame type. It's prolly auto. If so change it to the specific one set on the server. For novell 4.x it's generally 802.2 (if not 802.3). If that doesn't work install Novells client 32 (comes with netware cds or 70meg d/l). If this means nothing to you phone softech computers tell 'em Fergus sent you and get £90 an hour ready.
    Bet its frame type set to auto tho'.

Regards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Failing that I'll sort it for a very reasonable £30 an hour (shouldn't take long).

Thanks for the help lads,

Finally got it sorted.

It was the Cisco Switch that Novell is connected to (I didn't even know we had a switch, let alone what the stupid thing was until I saw a lovely little black box yoke in the corner under a load of cables...)

anyways,

thanks.

the patch etc. can be found on the Novell site, do a search for Cisco switch connection W95 , should bring up the page at the top of the results list.

Advertisement