Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One of the coolest cases I've seen.

Options
  • 27-09-2001 4:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭

This guy spent the bucks but he got a beautiful moded case.

.logic.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Now thats impressive- especially the lights around the fan!

My reaction was....
    "I didn't think it was possible"

I'm not oo hot on the Iron Maiden "Eddie" type art on the side but heh..."wot evr ur into 2"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Yesterday I typed up a big post in reply to this, then went on and read some more on the case, mostly the 'Oooohss' and the 'Aaaahsss' and the inevitable americanism like 'I want to have that case's babies', thereby logging myself out of boards (yes, i was reading that long) and it never posted.

anyways.
    Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. Case.
    Man.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Yum yum me wants one.
    On a similar note, anyone got recomendations on the sk6+delta (DA BEST air) of cases.
    I have come to the intellectual conclusion that my case is pants..completely pantys!!.
    Its too damn small for my cooling needs..beside there is no room for shiny bits which help one to find pizza droppings in the dark (you think i kid!!)
    Looking for a case i can swing my cat inside, one thats more airy than my head.
    What would you buy?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Hiya Longfield...

What I currently have and am beginning to mod is a Jupiter fill tower from Peats. Around the £50 mark I think but I got an enermax 350w psu for it so that was another whatever. It only comes with a 250 afaik. Beautiful big case though. Ambient case temps hover around 22c with I'm extremly happy with and that's without extra case fans.

Next case I'm buying though is a Lian Li pc70. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.

.logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Bosco

Hi folks,

No doubt I'll be in the minority on this one but....WHY??? That case goes so far beyond overkill there should be an international treaty controling it's proliferation. No doubt yer man has to blu-tak the thing to the floor to prevent movement due to fan vibrations.

Still though......looks nice. Anyone on boards ever paint their machine?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

Om Nyom*drool*

where would one, such as meh, get a nice big tower case for not very much?

Would Dell be throwing out old server cases into the skip in the factory?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

A delta is far, far too loud. I currently have justhalfs pc sitting in my house. Its a 1.33ghz tbird, and has a thermoengine with a delta. Its about 10 times louder than my own machine, and as soon as I switch it on everyone in the house complains. I can see why.

WHich is better, a rheostat type or putting +5 and +12V lines to the fan, giving 7V.
    Would the Rheobus get very hot?
    I'd like to try it. Don't know where to get teh components in Ireland. peats or maplins maybe?

Anyone know where to get a cheap digital multimetre?

Watts = V x I ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Originally posted by Gerry
    A delta is far, far too loud. I currently have justhalfs pc sitting in my house. Its a 1.33ghz tbird, and has a thermoengine with a delta. Its about 10 times louder than my own machine, and as soon as I switch it on everyone in the house complains. I can see why.
    That's what you get for messing with my leet sticky-tape wiring! ;)

BTW, it's a 1GHz @ 1.37GHz; and you know it! ;)

• Advertisement

Why Spend ££££s On EXPENSIVE PLASTIC CABLE WRAP???
    Why Waste $$$$s on Aloo-min-um and T-h-tane-ium cutting instruments?

Get 'INSULU-WR4PP!', the NEXT BIG THING in tubularising Technology. With it's 'Made in Navan' engineering this tape will bond your cables together! REducing airflow resistance!!!!
    Simply cut your 40-pin IDE cables into strips of 5, stack em and WR4PP EM!

Guarenteed Increase in Airflow* or ALL YOUR MONEY BACK**!!!!!

Our operators are standing by NOW!! to take your calls!
    ONLY $49.99

CALL NOW!
    *We do not guarentee anything whatsoever. Ever.
    **Minus Shipping/packaging/re-rolling/coffee/beer taxes.
    [legal-mumbo-jumbo]
    No newbies were badly injured/maimed/put on life-support during this infomercial
    [/legal-mumbo-jumbo]
    [edit]...well, some[/edit]

I know the last post wasn't related to noisome Deltas, but what the feck, someone might glean some smiles from it.

It's common 25p-a-roll insulating tape I was on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I modded my case. Seemed like a logical thing to do...

I've included a pic, basically I spraypainted the parts you can see black, (all the parts at the front). Covered the rest of the case with red/black fur. Works really well. First proper mod I did and i'm pleased with the way it turned out. :D

http://koneko0.homestead.com/files/pc_case.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭[CALIBUR]

haha is that atx mortherboard in that server case it looks small
    and also where did he got them lights for the case fans

• Registered Users Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

I still don't see the point in lowering fan voltage. You bought the thing presumably because it's fast, and then turn it's speed down?...Oddness abound....;)
    Delta's are way too loud though, as Gerry said you will literally have everyone else in the house complaining.
    I had a FOP-38 and ending up replacing it with a Thermalright SK6 and YStech 26 cfm fan. Much quieter and only a 3/4 degree dif under load. when it arrives Im going to swap a 36cfm 80mm fan and 80-60mm duct for the 60mm Ystech. This way you get the same airflow as the delta with only 3db more noise than the YsTech. Methinks this is a much better way to go for performance/noise ratio.

Which are the quietest type and/or brand of fans?

I'll be looking for anything that's available in Peats btw.

The reason I want to do the voltage mod is so I can leave the machine running 24/7 in my room and it won't keep me up at night.

Also, the way i intend to do it is with a 3way switch so I can have 12V during load peaks ie: gaming and 6-8V when leaving it running in the corner.....

For my good PC I'll get some proper stuff.
    Anyone know f there's a shim I can get to put on the back of a Slot1 P3 so a heatsink will fit snuggly?
    Even the height would be grand.
    I was going to get a small piece of copper and cut holes in it for the big yellow capacitors/whatever they are so the heatsink would draw the heat away, and then put 2x 60mm quiet fans (see above) over the ATX I\O panel at the back of the case, exhausting the hot air out.
    I also need to replace the fan on my P3 Heatsink.
    I have a Pentium HSF which i intend to stick to the GeForce. Only problem is geting it to stay.
    Might drill holes in the HSF and put cables ties through them and the holes in the card. Or if Peats have a proper GPU HSF I'd take it too... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

The sunons are very quiet. Not annoying and whiney like the YS-techs and peats do have em.

.logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Overlord

Korneko i like that case :)
    How mcuh to get my case done like that? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

There is certainly no point in buying a fast fan and then slowing it down. But if even your quiet fan is too noisy, then slowing it down with a rheostat is a good solution. A better solution still would be a voltage regulator, which would not waste as much power, as it switches off and on, instead of converting the excess voltage into heat.

Basically, if you slow the fan down a lot, that wattage will be dissipated as heat from the rheostat, but mine never get more than slightly warm.

An ordinary variable rheostat will not do. (These would be referred to as lin pot 10k (or whatever k) They will not be able to handle the amount of power drawn your fan, if you try and slow the fan down with one. They will just burn out, with smoke and a bad smell :)

So you need to get a wire wound variable resistor, which will actually be referred to as a volume control, because thats what it is commonly used for.

To be able to slow a 12v fan completely, you need at least a 30 ohm rheostat. I have a 100 ohm rheostat, which means after about 1/3 of a turn, the fan is completely stopped. Unfortunately the 100ohm versions seem to be rare, maplin and peats will probably have more of the 10 ohm versions, which are not good enough. Well that was a while ago when I was getting mine, maybe they have decided to re-order some.

Eventually I hope to design a circuit which will take input from a port on the pc (the parallel port for example) or some sort of isa card with suitable ports on it :)

This would give software controllable fans, kind of difficult to program in win2k because of restricted hardware access, but should be pretty cool :)

As for a heatsink for the back of the p3, well there is no commercial solution. Consider that the slot1 p3 is now obsolete, and that there is SFA market for such an item. It is extremely dodgy trying to put a heatsink on the back of the chip. Even if you put on a layer of thermal paste, this is slightly capacitive, so not a good idea around a cpu. Cutting holes sounds like a good idea.

I think however the main thing is to get the case off the p3, have you got that done?

Yeah, the black carbon plastic stuff case is off.
    Those bloody pin/plugs were damn difficult to remove.
    The thermal pste I am using seems ok. I don't feel confident with it though.
    I'd pay £10 for a tube of it if somoene going to the galway lan would bring one down, or if some one would mail it to me.
    Are you sure it's not available in Ireland? I'll prolly be going up to dublin in a month or so, I could get it myself then (along with a thousand other nick-nacks) and the bits for modding.

That voltage regulator was kinda what I was looking at.
    I'll get a nice big Tower case first though iof I can, and then buy fans. If the fans are quiet enough, no need to voltage-job them.
    I do have another PC which could do with being a bit quieter though, and I'm doing Elec eng in NUIg so I caould proly make a Voltage divider, say 12V/6-8V? and a two position switch to change, all mounted on a 5.25in bay cover :)
    Would the resistors on the voltage divider give off alot of heat bringing 12Vs to 6, or even 8?

Also, I'm not even too sure if that sort of switch can be incorporated into the circuit. Wouldn't need to directly change between the 12V and 6-8V, maybe just take the resistors out of the circuit. Hmmm. Have an Idea. Will try and do up a diagram of what i mean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

How much? About £15 I reckon ;)

fabric is a few quid, tub of blue, cans of spraypaint/primer/finish etc not much. That's about it. Anything else you'll have lying around (like a Dremel heh), just add some extra fans.

Course I didn't add too many fans cos i'm using watercooling, so
    it depends.

Advertisement