Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody see the colt telecom adds

Options
  • 27-09-2001 4:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭

Ive seen them around the place, at bus stops and the like, they dont mention adsl but they do use the words high speed and static ip, the number is 01 634 5900. Do they know something we dont?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

They're there months... since before Christmas, I think...

I rang them when the ads first went up, they said something along the lines of "we'll send you out an info. pack as soon as everything is finalised" and took my name & address...

The web site for their Internet services is:
    http://www.coltinternet.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭R. Daneel Olivaw

Don't know if they'll every do anything to give us ADSL, but damn, that blue/purple banner on their website is very cool. Definitely some olds00l l33t gfx work going on there I'd say: it positively oozes hi-techness.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭kendragon

I know this is off topic but what the hell is "olds00l l33t gfx work" somebody please explain this to me.

Back on topic... Colt seem to only deal with Business's so they probably wont be able to help us at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Originally posted by R. Daneel Olivaw
    Don't know if they'll every do anything to give us ADSL, but damn, that blue/purple banner on their website is very cool. Definitely some olds00l l33t gfx work going on there I'd say: it positively oozes hi-techness.
    They are in talks with eircom and the odtr, this was confirmed by the odtr some time back.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by kendragon
    I know this is off topic but what the hell is "olds00l l33t gfx work" somebody please explain this to me.

Some people feel the "need" to speak in "L33T SP34K" (leet speak) ... swapping numbers for letters and shortening words. What R. Daneel Olivaw appeared to be saying was that there's "definitely some old school elite graphics work" going on there.

The graphics are nice alright, but that's off-topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

may be OT, but when LLU is complete (christmas ?), will COLT and ESAT be able to offer their own DSL service without bothering with the likes of eircom ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭P R O F A N I T Y

with llu they will be able to put their own equipment in the exchange, offer their own services, I.E Radsl, SDSL, HDSL.
    But eircom will do everything BT did, Charge rental on space ect

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

I recently spoke to a Colt representative.
    They have their own fibre network running around a lot of Dublin, and have no plans to start offering any kind of DSL service.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭infomat

Originally posted by ObeyGiant
    They have their own fibre network running around a lot of Dublin, and have no plans to start offering any kind of DSL service.

So did I but they told me the opposite ... they had every intention of offering DSL in Dublin.

Originally posted by ObeyGiant

looking at their website, its quite obvious that they do have plans to offer DSL here. Talking to one or two engineers is and can be completly misleading

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Originally posted by ando

looking at their website, its quite obvious that they do have plans to offer DSL here. Talking to one or two engineers is and can be completly misleading

It was a salesman actually. (Presumption is the mother of all fsckups?)
    He told me that, after building up a large fibre network to service business customers, they are not going to start offering DSL. As a matter of fact, he was quite proud of the fact that the entire network had *nothing* to do with Eircom, or any other telco.
    As for the website - nowhere on that website, nor the multitudes of ads scattered around Dublin at the moment, do Colt mention any offer of DSL in Ireland. They're offering business packages, not residential.

DSL SERVICES IN IRELAND
    COLT Ireland is currently in negotiations with Eircom and the ODTR with a view to providing DSL services in Ireland. COLT has already successfully launched DSL services in a number of European countries and plan to replicate this success in the Irish market.

COLT will continue to update this site on our progress in implementing DSL services going forward. If you wish to speak to someone in COLT regarding our plans for DSL please contact us at 01 6345900

Says nothing about business or res packages ? nothing definate, but it certainly (to me) looks like that they want to offer DSL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭P R O F A N I T Y

They will take advantage of llu it it comes around, but you guys need to understand, llu take alot of investment, and it wont be res only buz, the way it should work is that bitstream would be cheaper. mostly what full llu will be used for first is to provide cheap private circuits, quicker then eircom does.
    LLU will have a huge effect on e com here.

Advertisement