Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dohdgee Demo CDs.....

• 26-01-2000 3:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭

Ok, so I got the latest issue of PC GAMER, and my CD ROM drive won't read the cover disks, (either of them), all my other CDs are just fine.
    I opened the CDs under Linux with the same results, the system locks-up and I have to do a h/w reset.
    But here's the killer, the same CDs work on a friends machine.

You think they are using some sort of dodgeey CDR format that's only compatable with certain drives, or that my drive is just far too picky?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

As far as i recall there was occasionally problems with CD drives which read Cd's too quickly - I think it was 32X +

Solution had something to doing with changing setting of CD Drive - but i dont remember how ... and its probably not the problem.

JAK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

My old computer's quad-speed drive used to have this problem with recent magazine coverdisks a lot. They worked fine on everyone else's machines (.net CDs were the biggest culprits), but just locked up the machine with the 4x drive. My current 24x drive (noname IDE drive) sometimes has problems reading discs too - but they can be read without a problem if I put them into my CDRW (Iomega ZipCD 4x4x24x/IDE).

- Munch
    - Visit The Fortress

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

haha u bought the zip cdr hahahahaha what a piece of crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Why do you think its a piece of crap?
    I think not - It's been exceptionally good, in fact. It hasn't made a single "coaster" yet. It burns cheapo CDRs at 4x without problems. IDE drives aren't good if you want to multitask, but I can do simple stuff like IRC and web browsing while it burns CDs. It also came with good software: Adaptec Easy CD Creator 3.5, Adobe Photoshop 5 (SE - some features removed, but excellent for web graphics and stuff), some Avery labelling software, Iomega backup software and some other bits and bobs. It even came with things like a spare IDE cable and an audio cable for connecting the drive to a soundcard.

Pretty spot-on if you ask me.

And I got it cheap biggrin.gif

- Munch
    - Visit The Fortress

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Yep I agree there too, have a zip cdrw 4x4x24 and they certainly do rock, haven't had any trouble with it either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭FreaK_BrutheR

turn off the read ahead on ure cd drive....not sure where it is have a look i'd have to smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

System Properties / Performance / File System/ CD-Rom (I think, not near a Win9x machine, but it's thereabouts). Lower the read ahead cache. Just pop it back up when you're finished with the CD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Nah, when I did that, it read a little better, but I still crashed and had to do a reset.
    Probably a conflict with my IDE controlers or something.

I tried the CD('s) from a DOS prompt and copied all the setup files to my harddrive.
    Worked like a charm. tongue.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭pat kenny

Had some trouble with them cds myself sometimes they work sometimes the dont sometimes they crash.
    Very strange

Advertisement