Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could there be a white knight to save us-Nevada Tele.com.....(taken from ireland.com)

Options
  • 28-09-2001 9:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/finance/2001/0928/fin32.htm

Nevada wants local loop access in €6m plan

By Jamie Smyth
    Nevada Tele.com, a Belfast-based 50/50 joint venture between Viridian and British group Energis, has applied to access Eircom's local telecoms network.

The company plans to offer consumers a range of high-speed internet, voice and data services by following a process known as "unbundling the local loop". This enables firms to install their own telecoms equipment in exchanges and access the last part of an incumbent's network.

Nevada will invest €6 million (£4.7 million) in a fibre optic network in Dublin to carry telecoms traffic and supply these services to its customers, according to Mr Les Harris, chief executive of Nevada.

"We have entered the formal process with Eircom and will seek line sharing and unbundling in six Dublin exchanges," he said. "We'd like to do that in the first quarter of 2002."

Nevada is only the second telecoms operator to seek access to Eircom's network following the withdrawal of several firms from an industry committee on unbundling this year.

Nevada's participation in the unbundling process would be a significant boost for competition in the domestic market following the downturn in the market.

Mr Harris said one of the major reasons Nevada applied for unbundling was that it would overcome delays in the delivery of private circuits by Eircom.

"We can wait months and months for circuits from Eircom," he said.

Nevada, which plans to set up a number of internet-hosting centres in the regions, is also considering seeking unbundling outside of Dublin.

"We plan to replicate this (Dublin plan) across the country and we are looking carefully at Cork, Limerick and Galway," said Mr Harris.

Nevada will invest a further €11 million in fibre in these areas if it decides to go ahead with its regional plans.

The ESB's fibre optic network, currently being rolled out across the State, may provide suitable fibre for Nevada's purposes. Nevada may also install €2 million of digital subscriber line technology in telecoms exchanges to offer high-speed internet services to homes and firms.

Mr Harris is hopeful Nevada will be able to offer its customers the bitstream high-speed internet service, which Eircom plans to introduce next month.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by spanner_head

Could there be a white knight to save us-Nevada Tele.com.....(taken from ireland.com)

We shall see .....

I don't mean to be pessimistic or anything but at this point if aliens came to earth and said they'd have DSL running for us, I still wouldn't believe them until it happened :(

Good posting though spanner_head! Cheers!

A bit of increased competition should rattle Eircom's cage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Nevada is only the second telecoms operator to seek access to Eircom's network following the withdrawal of several firms from an industry committee on unbundling this year.

I don't think that's right. As far as I'm aware, the withdrawal was in relation to bitstream, not LLU. Course I could be wrong.

Anyway, whether Nevada are a White Knight or not is irrelevant, the fact that they've actually applied for unbundled loops - if it's true of course - is the important factor here.

Gods, I'd give me left nad to be able to tell Eircom where to shove their bills.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭P R O F A N I T Y

Originally posted by dahamsta

I don't think that's right. As far as I'm aware, the withdrawal was in relation to bitstream, not LLU. Course I could be wrong.

Anyway, whether Nevada are a White Knight or not is irrelevant, the fact that they've actually applied for unbundled loops - if it's true of course - is the important factor here.

Gods, I'd give me left nad to be able to tell Eircom where to shove their bills.

adam
    No it was llu, Esat were the only ones and only them and colt were in talks for bitstream.
    its all starting to happen at last

Advertisement