Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

State to fund regional telecom infrastructure

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

State to fund regional telecom infrastructure

Listen, I know it's progress, and that's something, but it's the stupidest, saddest thing I've seen since... well, since the last Eircom press release.

I mean, really, the government are being forced into building *another* telecommunications infrastructure because Eircom are such cnuts they won't let them, or us, use theirs.

I'll tell you what, I'm going to start lobbying the government to build new roads next to the current ones, because I don't like them. They're all potholes and stuff.

It's effing ludicrous that this is what we're reduced to.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

The second last paragraph seems the most relevant to us:
    "There is a real risk of 'stranded assets', where local authorities decide to gear up for it, put in the infrastructure and then nobody wants to use it," according to Mason's Mr McDermott. "They'll probably have to engage with the telecoms operators to make sure they will offer services to customers."The deadline for funding applications is October 19th.
    For the home and small business user, the "last mile" still needs sorting out. None of the initiatives mentioned in the article address this. Afterall, in Dublin there's plenty of fibre in the streets and one of the termination points of the Global Crossing transatlantic cable but the only means of accessing it is via the local loop controlled by one company.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by SkepticOne
    Afterall, in Dublin there's plenty of fibre in the streets and one of the termination points of the Global Crossing transatlantic cable but the only means of accessing it is via the local loop controlled by one company.

That certainly puts things in perspective... how the hell did this ever happen ?

BTW, the last I heard, Eircom were in court with the ODTR about LLU pricing. Is this sorted yet ? has LLU began ? and when can companies like esat and colt and now nevada start offering their own DSL services ? and can they copletly by-pass eircom with LLU ?

Just have to sort things out in my head, still bit confused about the status off LLU ...

Originally posted by ando
    That certainly puts things in perspective... how the hell did this ever happen ?
    BTW, the last I heard, Eircom were in court with the ODTR about LLU pricing. Is this sorted yet ? has LLU began ? and when can companies like esat and colt and now nevada start offering their own DSL services ? and can they copletly by-pass eircom with LLU ?

Just have to sort things out in my head, still bit confused about the status off LLU ...
    Yes. The prices fairly set by the ODTR are being challanged by Eircom in the courts. I believe this court case is due to begin very soon. I am optimistic that the ODTR will win. Hopefully it won't be like the Orange vs. ODTR case (over the award of the third mobile licence to Meteor) which took two years!

Once this happens, the uncertainty surrounding LLU prices will go. The fact that, even prior to the prices being settled, Nevada have expressed interest is very encouraging.

LLU will allow OLOs to largely bypass Eircom supplying DSL however it has not been hugely successfull elsewhere in Europe or the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Eircom's threat to withdraw its i-stream high-speed internet service if the telecoms regulator intervenes in pricing - as she did this week - illustrates the dangers of relying on a private firm to supply telecoms.

It's like banging your head off a wall there is just no end to the pain.
    According to Mr McDermott, the Government's plan is an innovative response to a difficult situation.

Sorry, that just made me snigger. Don't know why.
    "We're not giving any one of the operators an exclusive run, so people will have the benefits of competition," says Mr Condon.

If they hadn't privatised T.E. we wouldnt have this big a problem. At least they're aware of the situation and have learned from their mistakes.
    The Government will hope its new, publicly funded scheme will be more successful than the Eircom adventure.

"Adventure" wouldn't have been the word I would use...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Anyone know how to go about writing a proposal ?

DM

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

The Government will supply 90 per cent of the funding

woah, looks like the governent is finally coping on to the situation :) !

Originally posted by ando

woah, looks like the governent is finally coping on to the situation :) !
    So long as it is not used to subsidise existing monopolies...

Originally posted by yellum

DM
    I would say give 'em a call. Maybe arrange a meeting type of thing. These WAN projects are exactly what is needed IMHO.

At least they're aware of the situation and have learned from their mistakes.

"Learned" is a very strong work when used in reference to governement. You know, like "military" and "intelligence". :)

Wouldn't matter if we did, this money is earmarked for local government, not the public, even non-profits like IrishWAN.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Anybody know who this Harry "sweeping statements" McDermott is? Nothing against him or anything, they've quoted him in a few articles lately and he seems to have access to journos (he gets his inch-long quote every few days)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

The CorkWan (project stellanet as we call it locally ) would be more than happy to set it up for the local government.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

In Ireland (unfortunately) we frequently have a lackadaisical attitude towards our communications network. This includes roads / rail / phones and data.

Take for example our roads: Up until recently they were built to a very low standard. Eventually potholes would form, and they would be filled after time but once again to an extremely low standard. The big fix was to re-surface on top of the problems that were already there :/

Amazingly if we had built the roads properly from the start, with good foundations and high quality tar (like they do in main land Europe / Britain), It would have cost less money and less aggravation.

Recently in my hometown of Balbriggan they built an inner relief road to an extremely high standard. The problem was that 4 weeks later, the gas company came out and dug it up again. Typicly when they completed the road works, the road was back to being a bumpy dangerous hazard.

My point being that companies get away with it here. I bet if the same situation had happened in Europe, the gas company would have been sent out straight away to lay the road properly again. Also OBVIOUSLY the planning leaves a lot to be desired. Why didn’t the gas-company just do their work first?

A similar situation is happening with our railways.

To me it seems to be happening with our phones and data aswell ! What do you guys think? By the time we get adsl it will be outdated. Give me fibre NOW and it will cost less in the long run.

project stellanet as we call it locally

Ha! Noice wan fien'!

adam

Advertisement