Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A quick HD question.

• 28-09-2001 2:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭

Anywya my mate recently brought up his pc to the house im living in, but his hd is only 6 gigs and is nearly full and he now has no room (well really I!) to install games

Alas im planning on getting a hd and using it externally im just wondering is it fairly reliable and by what type of connection would one connect the hd to the back of the machine with?

Anyinfo would be appreciated as im a complete n00bar at this sort of malarky :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

usb or external scsi.
    no idea on pricing and scsi needs a scsi adapter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Ok thx very much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

SCSI is too expensive Ronan.
    Why do you wnat it external?
    it would actually be easier to install it in the case.
    Do you have 2 hardrives and 2 CD-Rom-sized drives allready?
    Just about every case has a spare 3.5in bay in it.
    Its a simple job to install one.
    you could get a 40GB 7200rpm UDMA100 IDE(what you'll be using) drive for about £140, or a 20GB for £120 approx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

if you are not thinking of upgrading much more, then an internal ide controller might be the ticket.
    you can pick em up for about 20-30 quid.
    however, if you are thinking if extras, scsi might be a nice idea, or firewire might be worth looking into.
    as above, why do you need it to be external?
    what is your current set up and what are you hoping for in the future?

Reason I want it to be external lads is so I can bring it from yer mans pc to my own pc and so on and so forth thats my reason for wanting it external.

Knowing me ill go for the cheapest ass option available as im broke :)

• Advertisement

honestly, Ronan, never mind with external drives.
    You could get a parallel port drive, but it would take a week to transfer stuff accross it. I shiot you not.
    Just buy an internal IDE drive.
    If you need to take it out, just do so.
    It's no biggy, ust be careful of the pins.
    I *think* there's also a SCA-like caddy for IDE drives, but it's probably relatively expensive.
    Firewire is unrealistic. No need.
    SCSI is really the same.

I don't mean to slight you Whitewash man, but I've talked to Ronan and I've a fair idea of what his spec is.

K62-400ish
    128MB ram
    Probably 1 IDE hdd and 1 IDE CDROm/DVD
    Hence he has space for at least one more IDE device (in drive bays I mean) and he could leave the cables running out the side if he wants.

It wouldnt be put in my machine drake...... itd be mostly sitting in yer mans dell dimension box but Sure i may as well throw it in there and take it out when i need to.

Now then off to the college I go to borow a hd :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

You could install the drive in your friend's PC as normal and then network the machines - share the drive between them :)

If you haven't already got network cards, they're quite cheap and easy to install. All you'd need to connect two machines is a pair of network cards and a crossover cable.

This also means you could have some 1v1 LAN game fun :D

That would be nice,usefull, 'cept he'd have to carry a whole case instead of a 3.5"drive.
    Still,class if either of ye have a spare monitor and a car.
    Will you be able to bring a PC to the galwayLan Ronan?

Originally posted by [FCA]SyxPak
    Will you be able to bring a PC to the galwayLan Ronan?

Hopefully...... Ill try and get yer man to lend me his and if he doesnt then im fuxed as my own pc im on at the moment is sorta having to stay here in roscomon (mooching parents how dare they say i never paid my half :D)

Anyway ill be building a pc of my own hopefully sooner than later so all this messing can stop!

• Advertisement
Advertisement