Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATA drive and mobo won't do ATA

• 28-09-2001 3:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭

I've got a mobo and hdd both with ATA-100, but don't seem to be getting ATA performance. I've seen a 'searching Ultra-DMA' screen come up on other PCs after the bios and before windows startup, but this screen doesn't appear at all when I boot up with the present PC. Other than that, everything boots up fine, the hdd works fine, except it shows up in the standard cmos section in the bios. On other PCs with ATA-100 the ATA drive doesn't appear here, but after the bios in the Ultra-DMA screen. Obviously I've got the right blue/black/grey 80 pin connectors in the right place.

in Win2k, transfer mode for the 40G is set to 'DMA if available', but current transfer mode (Device manager \ IDE ATA controllers \ Primary/secondary IDE channel settings) just shows up as 'PIO mode'.

Can anyone tell me how to set this drive to work in ATA mode?

specs:
    mobo: Chaintech 7AIA5 - KT133A uATX
    (http://www.scan.co.uk/motherb.htm)
    (and its the 7th item down the list)
    IBM 40G Ericson 60GXP drive.
    Duron 900mhz
    256mb ram

hard drive situation is:
    - the 40G drive, slave, no partitions
    - 8G ide master, boot drive, no partitions, running win 2k

and the performance of the 40G is worse than the old 8G - far worse.

any help apprec'd. thx

Advertisement