Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SBLive! problem

• 29-09-2001 1:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭

Is there any particular PCi Slot/IRQ/Memopry address range that the SBLive! Player 1024 works well with?
    How do you update the firmware?

The suround Mixer won't load.
    Says 'Failed to laod Plugins'
    I'm tied and p1ssed of att his happening everytime.
    i've reformatted and reinstalled the card god knows how many times.
    PHB, It hink you were saying something about this before on mIRC

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Good ole sblive problems. Alot of people seem to have probs with them and some others have none. What I hear is that Sblive range of cards are big resource hoggers so they usually need there own IRQ. If it's sharing with anything intensive it can cause probs. Plus it has been said that it's best to keep it away from the pci slot next to the agp slot.

Not sure how relevant any of this is or even how technically correct it is.

I know I had probs with a sb pci 64v so I bought a 1024 sblive and haven't had a prob since!

.logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

My Geforce and SB live always want to share 11, but i have never had any problems until my DVB card decided to join the IRQ 11 party, so i turned off ACPI in the bios and told each card where exactly they should go!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

hrmph!
    i had much the same problem.. sb live conflicted with the ata100 bios first, then with the geforce, then... well I don't know what it picked to fight with next.
    but it didn't like *any* of my hardware..
    oh, yes.. it didnt like the motherboard I bought (not sure of the make and model now, forget :) ) ...

i managed to fix it myself once or twice by just changing the irq's around randomly in windows, and hoping for the best.. or changing a few random options in the bios (ones that look dodgy or ya don't konw what they are :) ).. that worked for a bit, but it always seemed to fck up after a while.

so I just gave mine to Flamegrill (he's on boards, so ya can ask him) and he fixed it up nicely. haven't had a prob with it yet, ,i think he installed it using the sb live! value drivers rather than the player ones, *shrug* cos it says value in the system dialog box.

there could be a bos update for your board, or for the card itself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

hmmm, i had problems with the emulator. had to disable that.
    otherwise no problems.
    dont use the bottom pci slot if youve got 5 of them. its generally kept for daughter cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Ba$tard

Agreed!

Always disabled DOS Soundba$tard Emulation... It screws with Windows no end.... and causes a performance hit on your Int/sec which slows yer whole system down...

Ba$tard :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cond0r

The suround Mixer won't load.
    Says 'Failed to laod Plugins'

i'm having the same problem, anyone know whats wrong?! it works fine on a different pc i have here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭marauder

Had lots of DOS problems with 5.1 Xgamer. Disabled them but since I installed it there is a pause when I boot of about a minute with a blank screen that hadn't been there before. So it now takes about 3 minutes to boot :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Errmm people were having problems installing this card but, after revision 3 I think most of the bugs were sorted out?

If you have revision one bring it back to the shop(and save your self alot of trouble yeah?).... I dunno if on these cards it was just a badly written series of drivers or a bad three of four revisions of the cards, though having said this there is a fix which entailes uninstalling the soundblaster, removing all references to it in the registry and get this deleting relevant inf files (in a particular order) though the particular order bit could just be hokus pokus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

/me slaps mordeth.

anyway, well his problem was he bought all the best components you can get here in ireland put em all togeher.
    None of them wanted to play fair.

His motherboard is ABIT KT7A - RAID one and he had an athlon 1.2ghz and a Gefore and and SBlive Player 5.1.

at one stage the box wouldnt even boot let alone run windows.
    So with a lot of tweaking of the bios and a bios update for the mainboard later it was sorta stable, well it booted as far as invalid sysytem disk :) .

then no shape form of Microsoft windows could get past 99% of the startup install.

/me digs up norton ghost image from summer 2k.

so i used my norton ghost image and image win98SE to his hard disk in like 4 minutes, fastest most stable install of windows i ever did. The updated all the drivers and bang, off she went and not one problem since.

/me crosses fingers.

[FCA]SyxPak

tell us what system specs you have, id reckon its the bios on yer motherboard thats been a piss ant. so update that and get ird off all cards bar sblive and gfx card and get bother of them working fine together and then ur set. the sblives once installed and working nicely dont seem to have recurring problems with new hardware installs..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

With the sblive and the kt7a, it is mainly a case of trying the card in different pci slots. Take everything out except for the graphics card and the sblive, and get it working properly. Slot 2 on the kt7a worked for me, IIRC.

As for different versions of the card, I think most of the problem centres on the fact that the sblive is designed to work withing very precise timing constraints on the pci bus, and also demands very low latency from the motherboard chipset, and this is something via's chipsets weren't able to handle. I have an sblive value, a very early card, and an abit be6-2 bx motherboard and while there are 1 or 2 slots on my board in which the card won't work correctly, I haven't had any other problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

AOpen AX6BC with 2.55 BIOS (newest off the site), its a 440BX chipset.
    Creative GeForce256 SDR, IRQ 11 i think
    SBLive! Player 1024 retail, in second PCi slot(as in second away from AGP slot)
    Maxtor 30GB UDMA33 drive
    AOpen DVD 1640 Pro (master - UDMA33)
    Plextor PX-W1640 (Slave - UDMA33 with jumper hack)

Normally I have a Modem and a Lan card in it too.
    I've reinstalled Win98SE several times, fdisk, format, install, GeForce drivers, Then SBLive! with the supplied disc. 9 times out of 10 I've installed the whoile SBLive! package (not just the drivers - the surround mixer and other stuff - but not any of the talking parrot apps, or anything else) and the thiung says scouldn't load plugins.
    When the Comp came it worked grand for about a month. I forget, but i think I moved the card to a different PCi Slot for something. I know it works with my config cos I haven't changed anything, bar the Realtek 8029. But that doesn't explain why it doesn't work with nothing in it bar the Gfx and the card itself.

BTW, how do you disable the DOS emulation?
    Is it done by checking 'Disable in this Config' in the System Properties?
    I've installed the card this time in the second slot and have used the"SBLive!" drivers I saw on the disk.
    I *think* it's LiveWare3, at elast it says so on the disc itself.
    What's really funny though is that I downloaded the massive 5 meg driver package, fired her up and it tells me I 'Don't seem to have a SBLive! card installed'. How nice.
    Creative support really is dog. They provide no hard information about anything, only more and more marketing shyte.
    I got an email back from them at one stage and the lad told me do reinstall CTMisc.inf or something like it.
    This time round Windows installed the drivers, all the hardawre was detected and windows displayed its summary saying @windows did not install any drivers for this device'. The sound works ok, but I'm not too sure about the 4 speaker output.
    Creative are hell bent on supplying bigger and more useless bloatware with every driver release. I don't fecking well want the interface to be all customized. What's wrong with using simple buttions and Windows default schemes?
    Twould cut down on alot of bull and downlod times.

Advertisement