Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

usin 56k modem with 2 phone lines

• 30-01-2000 6:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

I hear u can use 2 phone lines with a modem, like isdn.

If so what do i need, just a 2nd phone line?

And if use esat nolimits would u have to pay 34 squid a month or just 17?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

I've tried this and got it workin in win98, it's a multilinking option in dial up networking. U need two phone lines, two modems and two isp accounts. It's hard to get it going. Had it working with indigo but as far as reducing ping is concerned, well, it didn't. Downloading was pretty much the same, webpages seemed to load up a bit quicker. It's not worth all the hassle or the added expense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Vincent

sad.gif I was hopeing to get sub-100 pings, and
    6-8k downloads smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Better get ISDN then tongue.gif
    (Or cable if it ever comes out)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

two modems in conjunction will not decrease ping. The actual latency will remail the same, however the line should be able to handle more info. eg you should be able to set a higher rate with 2 modems, but the ping won't come down.

it's loike you have 2 pipe of water right.
    1 is made of "isdn" the other "pstn"(ord phone)

the water can go faster in the isdn pipe and the isdn pipe is also bigger. goes slower in the pstn pipe and pipe is slightly smaller.
    so you now get another pstn pipe. you use both of them together. the water will still take the same amount of time to get to the end.. but it will be able to take more water.... follow.. ??

sorry i've been using the idea to explain the idea to myself for ages now..

Gav

smile.gif

• Advertisement

yeah but if it's able to take more water wouldn't u get faster download speeds?

ie. 2 x 3.5k = 7?

u get faster download speeds with 2 isdn lines so inversely would u not get the same with normal phone lines?

there has to be someway of gettin faster download speeds than forkin out for isdn smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Verb's right. The problem is the actual speed at which analogue lines can handle transmitting and receiving packets, not how many packets per sec (Well not directly anyway, though I'm sure you would notice some performance gain). To add another metaphor - think of it like a BUS in a PC.
    2factors decide your data transfer, the speed of the bus (Frequency)and the amount of bits it can move per cycle (Bandwidth).

A bus at 33Mhz, and 32bits (per cycle) should transfer as much data per second as one at 66Mhz and 16 bits . You're moving half-size packets , but you're moving them at twice the speed.

By using two analogue modems you're increasing your 'packet size', but you haven't actually done much for your 'Frequency'.

The main thing for online gaming is a fast RELIABLE stream of relatively small packets. Extra bandwidth can help in that you won't get temporarily choked by other data clogging the line, but it's actually a less important factor than your modem technology's natural latency.

This is why a 64k ISDN is a hell of a lot faster for gaming than a 56/53k modem. The difference is not linear with the Kbps rate because ISDN's pure digital nature reduces packet latency by a much greater factor than it's actual bandwidth would seem to allow.

Okay, I think I may just have muddied up the water even more....But this is the way I think on it.

Basically;
    2 56/53k modems will give you better download speeds for large packets.
    1 ISDN line will give you much lower latency, and is better for faster small packets.

smile.gif thanks for all the info

Another topic, is there anyway of gettin a faster connection?

typically i connect at 42,666 bps, but occasionally i connect at 44,000, and even rarer i get 46,666, so is there anyway of getting an average connect of 46,666bps ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

That's pretty good anyway. The speed you see on the connection is only the agreed maximum between the 2 modems. It's not really an accurate picture of your realworld transfer rate (Which will increase/decrease with line interfence/traffic on the ISP etc.).
    It will sometimes even say 115Kbps, but you sure as hell ain't getting it.....

53k is the absolute max. you can get on an analogue phone line anyway (Even though V.90 has a theoretical max of 56kbps), and you're less than 1kB off that mark. I wouldn't worry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭SPACE COWBOY

I read somewhere in my U.S. Robotics 56K "Read me" file (no jokes please) that they limit them to 53K even though they're called 56K modems.

VENI VIDI VICI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Windows is a lying b@stard smile.gif It always tells me that I'm connected at 57,600 bps. How can I force it to tell me the "true" connect speed?

- Munch
    - Visit The Fortress

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Windows is a lying b@stard smile.gif It always tells me that I'm connected at 57,600 bps. How can I force it to tell me the "true" connect speed?

- Munch
    - Visit The Fortress

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Fing

57500bps is a 28kbps connection with compression (divide by 2). Comms speak bits so divide by 8 to get your theoretical rate, in your case 3.6k of b\width. The Irish PSTN
    can only reliably handle connection speeds of c. 44kps so you'll be doing well to get 5 - 5.5k of b\width.

Fing

Advertisement