Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a problem with the Nomad JukeBox

• 29-09-2001 5:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

The dam thing is sucking up more MP3's then I have... I can't stop it!!! :eek:

Just found out too that you can use the thing like a portable floppy disk too! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Great to hear hobbes.

I've been putt putting around for a while now whether as to buy.
    I'm thinking about ordering a 20gb version from the US- not sure about the tax issue though- I'll have to investigate this-but I'm sure it'll still be fairly cheap- $400 plus p&p plus tax ??

Do you know anywhere that sells the 20gb version in the EU- or will upgrade the 6gb version- I dont think I'd fill the 20gb's w/ mp3 but the idea of a USB portable HD is quite attractive:D

BTW have you seen that Nomad Docking Station- Pretty COOOOLLL:p
    see it here...http://www.nomadworld.com/accessories/playdock/

When are they goin to get a remote control out as well:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Eeep! :eek:

Sweet looking. 20 GB storage device? Is it worth it? what would you use it for?

I still have over 5GB left and I have 22 Albums (287 songs) on it.

Is it possible to even listen to 20GB of MP3's in your lifetime? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Yeah 20GIGs is nice, but the batteries wont even last for 1GIG.
    i think you can get 40GIGs for it now.
    im gonna spray mine some funky glow in the dark colour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Hobbes, 20gb of mp3s isn't really all that much - there are plenty of americans on irc with cable serving 60-80gb of mp3s...

Fast connections and large capacity hard disks eh?

Can you just plug the nomad into any usb-enabled machine and transfer files? Do you need to install drivers? If not it's pretty cool, go anywhere with most of your data :)

chernobyl: don't spray any of your kit - a friend sprayed his tower case gold, but it looked pretty crap in the end :) Unless you're good at it, and know what you're doing.

Originally posted by Hobbes
    Eeep! :eek:

Sweet looking. 20 GB storage device? Is it worth it? what would you use it for?
    I still have over 5GB left and I have 22 Albums (287 songs) on it.
    Is it possible to even listen to 20GB of MP3's in your lifetime? :)

The way I see it is....
    1- I'm thinking about buying an mp3 player- why not go big!?

2- I need to be able to transfer big files between home & UCD- few disertations and course work (Power Point Slides Eat Floppies:() etc. so I was thinking about getting a zip drive- but the Nomad JB may solve that prob.?? As well, the network in UCD @ the mo. is in a shambles- you've only about 5mb of space which is nothing:(

3- Is it worth it?? If I could get for £400 (irish)- including the tax and shipping I'd definitley get it! .....Anywhere access to your music collection and essential files- (Please God I dont ever lose it!)

BTW neone know of newhere selling the 20gb version in the EU- I'd have to pay import taxes otherwise if I order from the states:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

How much are the import taxes?

What you do is, you have it shipped to a friend or relative in the states who forwards it to you, apparently you don't pay the import tax if it's a gift. Depending on how much it is to ship over to ireland again, it may just be easier to order it and pay the tax?

Well I working on that option alrite but I'm trying to avoid that as a last resort:)

Originally posted by 80project.com

BTW neone know of newhere selling the 20gb version in the EU- I'd have to pay import taxes otherwise if I order from the states:(

I thought these were custom machines.
    why not get one secondhand and put a 20GIG drive into it yourself?

Well it may be an upgrade but it looks like I'll go w/ this crowd-
    If you look @ the Int'l Shipping Policy they are willing to send it as a "Gift" so as to avoid the import charges.

Let me know what you think. heres the link
    http://www.nomadjukebox.net/20creatlabno1.html

BTW wheres the best place to download the firmware upgrade to allow you store all file formats??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

BTW wheres the best place to download the firmware upgrade to allow you store all file formats??

Erm it just does it? They get stored in a special data area. Can only be seen using the software?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

http://www.europe.creative.com/estore/basket.asp?acti=add&prod=246
    (shipped from Blanchardstown)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

I got the one in argos the cheaper one just fill a cd with mp3's in directories (10 hours good battery time).

Good car kit.

battery time is 2 hours but with a four pack of rechargeables thats 4 hours a day.

Overall its a good piece of kit, it is a little big, and has no hold button.

but its cheap and if you lose it on the bus its only $90 down the drain!! lol!

BTW use a little prog called mp3index.exe to make an excel based song list.

i have it if you want it i'll try attaching it to this post. but if it don't attach email me for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭moist

Well it may be an upgrade but it looks like I'll go w/ this crowd-
    If you look @ the Int'l Shipping Policy they are willing to send it as a "Gift" so as to avoid the import charges.

Be careful, customs are clamping down or that sort of thing.
    Thinkgeek.com put "Promotional Merchandise" or somthing on the packages they ship,
    but I heard of a few people recently who have been nabbed for import/handling charges on them.

Thx Snowbat for that link-
    I still couldn't find the 20gb version doing a normal search on the eu site??- but thats brill thx very much:)

I suppose that will negate your warning Moist but thx neway:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Ok.....here we go

1). Its a great big HardDrive...well not really its only a LapTop HardDrive. If you look on Tom's hardware you'll find a guide to "upgreading" you 6gig JukeBox to a 2gig ect........

2). You can only transfare file's if you are using the right O/S version and the right Creative midea player. So what does this mean? well I'll tell ya........you can only use Creative Midea player on system that has Creative sound drivers (IE: SBLive 5.1 drivers) You also need working USB ports. But beond that..its great for file storge. I use mine for backing up file's I need for setting up Win2k (Ge-Force GTS drivers, SBLive drivers, SP2, TV card drivers, ect) I will also put some DiVx's on there as well (only 2 gigs go to MP3's.

3). I am having a problem with mine. I bateries that come with it aren't working quite right :( they dont charge all the way so I only get one or two hours play back now (I think it was over use :D )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Hi sutty,

You could always give Creative a call\mail.... ask for more batteries :D , as you current ones arent working too well. I hear they are good that way!

Matt

i lost my batteries on holiday and creative replaced both sets.

i lost my batteries on holiday and creative replaced both sets.

Just say that you are taking creatives advice, "not to use anything other than creative batteries"

I presume its ok to use any batts in the thing !?

I have a whole pile of rechargeble Ni-mh that I just rotate among a variety of things- I presume there OK? Heh?

Advertisement