Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitor - Buying advise plz :-)

• 24-01-2000 6:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭

So I'm thinking of buying a nice 17" or 19" monitor.
    What would ye' reccomend?
    I'd like someting with a nice clear picture, a nice high max resolution and a refresh rate to match.

I've seen a lot of things about 'shadow mask' and stuff like that, but haven't a clue about which is better.

Also where is a good place to buy a monitor in Dublin?
    I've had some good deals in PCWORLD, so I might try there.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Eizo monitors are very impressive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

PC World ROFL, do yourself a favour and stay away from there !

smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Eizo LCDs are muck. Don't know about CRT. The thing to do is find a model you like in work and the bring it home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Well see the thing is that all the monitors here in IBM are just sh1te, I don't want any of these sad little 14" things.
    And I'll ignore that PCWORLD remark, I got my 15" Daewoo monitor there for £120 and it's a bleedin' fantastic monitor.
    I just dont want to take home something with a horrible blurry screen that has the colours all fu(ked up.
    Maybe I'd better get a 10" CGA Monochrome radiation box tongue.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Fire up what PC World are offering and their prices and I'll let you know if its a good deal or not.

Gandalf.

• Advertisement

Ta Gandi, will do.. . smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭Gerry

OK, buy the odd peripheral in PC WORLD
    but check prices elsewhere first and don't believe anything they tell you. they do not have a clue. If they are offering good deals
    on 17 or 19 monitors then by all means but I doubt that they are. Pc peripherals do fairly good deals on monitors.

Right I sell Monitors, Printers, Licenses etc etc to corporate customers. Unfortunately I cannot really sell to you guys (phew wouldn't want to sell to you nerds anyway tongue.gif) but I will check out the prices on what you've been offered or "deals" that PC World or whoever have and let you know if there good or not. I've only checked these stores on occasion and their prices in the main are laughable.

Gandalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Yea i know some corporation that currently buy off .. bolochs i can never remember the name... ahh ! crofts..

So can you offer any competitive prices to them.. ?
    have a website? a catalogue ?

Gav

Yeah they will be a webby up soon, ie a few months. They do distribute a catalogue, but it contains UK pricing and in some cases does not reflect the Irish prices.

Gandalf.

[This message has been edited by gandalf (edited 26-01-2000).]

• Advertisement

Erm, well could you order one for IBM, care of Dead{o}Santa? tongue.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Dell SVGA Monitor. 17", can be seen working, £110. 087-6456189 Dublin
    Conn.& Leinster

Well, I don't want one from the boglands...
    It's probably all coverd in cow$hit and dead flys. tongue.gif
    I'd like a new, store-bought monitor without the cow droppings and welly prints.

Take a bullet for the prez at: The Grotto

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

PC Peripherals do great deals on philips monitors, that's where i picked up my 17" one and have to say it's sweet, was £170 incl. vat. try mairead@pcp.ie and ask her to e-mail u a price list. Do 19" ones too but they're pretty damned expensive, over the £300 mark if I remember rightly

Hmmm thats a good price for a 17" Monitor. The Philips one are suppost to be OK. If the 19" is around £300.00 then thats a very good price for that as well.

Gandalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Shadow mask is better than yer std. CRT apparture grill. But Trinitron or DiamondTron are better (And flatter).

My old 15" was an AOC. It was excellent for the price. But nowadays , and I hate to be obvious, Iiyama are the way to go for quality....I was looking at their 19" , there are 2 models , one is .26 and the other is .25 Dot pitch - there's about a $30 price difference. Not the cheapest but you get what you pay for.

Right well that's one thing I was wondering about.
    What's the differance between Shadow mask and aparture grill?
    How do each work, what are the pros and cons etc?
    Just so I'll know...

Em...One's masky and shadow like, the other has big Aparturey Bits....

To be honest I cant really remember much of it.

Aparture Grill works more like you're standard TV, just finer holes/ better dot pitch. ie. there's a metal/phosphor screen perforated into x amount of sets of 3 dots arranged in a triangle, one Green/Red/Blue, each of these is one aparture. The colour depends on which colour phosphor gets a nice little belt of electrons to make it glow. The dot pitch is basically the diagonal distance (in mm) between these sets. Smaller dot pitch means a smaller gap, and a less obvious 'sieve' look to your screen. .28 is normal for decent economy models, .25 is very good, but beware of some advertisers using the horizontal distance on their ads. instead of diagonal, this is always shorter. Eg. the Iiyama 19" is sometimes advertised as a .22 dot pitch monitor, when it is really .25.

Shadow mask? Sorry, havent a clue. I just know its a better technology, used in the cheaper flat screen monitors. Mag Innovision use it a lot, so if you can find their web page they probably have a tech doc on it.

Hope this helps (And was even partly right.....)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭pat kenny

If your going to by one of them filters for your screen you pay a massive premium for 19inch over 17inch.
    take that into account when buying.

ACtually , remembered a bit more (The special voices in my head finally had something useful to say....). It's not a metal/phosphor grill . The aparture part is for the metal grill in front of the Phosphor screen.

Now, wasn't that worth it.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Sonic

well if money is no object u could go for the quite awesome iiyama 450 Pro , 19" mitsubishi diamontron tube 1880*1440 @ 75hz about £500 MASSIVE refresh rates , look mail me sonic@gibworld.com with ur budget and ill find u a **** off monitor , ill be bored in work anyhows

Or the 22" 510 Pro, 2048x1536.....Hmmmmmmmm, pretty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

gandy, what brand of PC's do you sell? What after sales service do you offer..

I have a large order about to go foward (2 large servers, 4 client PC's, and various other ****e)

mail me at joreilly@assyst-intl.com and maybe we can do some business?

Ta Sonic, that budget figure is spot on, £500 would be fine for a kick@ss monitor, as long as it'll last me a few years.
    Where can I get one?

Advertisement