Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help with MMDS decoder

• 29-09-2001 7:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭

Last night the MMDS(NTL - Pace) decoder I have went belly up displaying the message "Warning - Input Power Short". When I rang NTL the solution I was given was to bring up the Menu, select the option "MMDS Power" and set it to "OFF". This in fact worked and I got the picture back, however setting the option back to "ON" results in the same warning message. As the default setting for this option is "ON" I was curious as to what effect this really has on the decoder/signal. The staff at NTL could only tell me, "its a little trick we know" and could not say what exactly was going on here and whether the signal is degraded in some way or indeed the decoder is faulty now. Could anyone elaborate on this or tell me what exactly the option "MMDS Power - ON/OFF" exactly does or does not do. Should I demand a new decoder?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Baz999

I used to work for Cablelink testing those decoders. If your MMDS system is powered with a stand-alone power-supply, then the menu setting for MMDS power should be 'off'. If you don't have a PSU, and you get the message saying 'input-short' with the menu set to 'on', then there is most definitely a fault in the decoder, but it's nothing to worry about as long as you have a good signal. It's a kind of 'short-cut' in the menu system and internal electronics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭Drakus

Cheers Baz thanks for the info. Seems like I can live with the situation for now as I hope to go Sky Digital in the not to distant future(when I have the bucks). One other thing bugs me about the decoder. When I have it connected to the t.v. using the ordinary RF(i think) cable I get an o.k. picture and Nicam stereo sound. However when I connect using a scart cable I get a better picture but I loose the Nicam sound. Any ideas.

Nicam stereo does not afaik travel down a scart from your decoder to the tv-but the sound you have on your tv via the scart should be stereo.
    If you have a nicam video scarted into you tv for instance and your tv is stereo-the sound you get whilst watching the tv through your external video channel will be stereo derived from that nicam
    Your nicam tv only tells you its getting a nicam broadcast when its through your aerial plug
    mm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭Drakus

Nice one. Thats been bugging me for a while. I have a Nicam Video and Nicam T.V. but when I watch the tv through the external video channel where the menu option(on the T.V) usually says "Nicam-On/Off" it says "Volume Correction". I also have a D.D. Amp in the set-up and I can never figure out which is the best way to output the sound to it so its recieving a stereo sound: 1. from the phono outputs on the t.v. 2. from the phono outputs on the back of the decoder 3. from the phono outputs of the video.

Advertisement