Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IE5 and start-up troubles.

• 29-09-2001 8:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭

I've been having troubles with IE5 lately. The content advisor keeps coming up with this: 'Please check your Content Advisor settings for missing information. Click the Tools menu and then click Internet Options. On the Contents tab, check the Content Advisor settings.'

Now, I've never used or even gone near the Content Advisor, this just happened out of the blue. Now, when I go to the Content Advisor settings I find it enabled and won't let me access any site on the Internet, and attempting to disable it did nothing. I did find a way around this...I set up a password for Content Advisor, and for some reason it will disable it after I typed the password, but this is only temporary. If I turn off IE or open a new browser window, the problem returns. I'm very annoyed. :mad:

I've tried reinstalling IE but still the problem shows...has something like this happened to anyone else?

Also, when my PC is starting, it tries to connect to the net for some reason. I checked through my start-up programs and I recognise all except for one.... IPAK99.exe
    I'm assuming that's the culprit...If I remove it from the start-up list, it always reappears. What the hell is it? It's not a Virus is it; cause Norton AV 2k found nothing? :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

check tools-> internet optionds and go to security.
    stick on low security or custom and se if that resolves problem.

if you are using win98 then run mscinfig and on the right hand tab, uncheck everything bar sys tray and er,,
    some thing else, bugger have forgotten. some sytem thing.
    see if htat works

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

You have TROJ_THE_THING.A see here www.antivirus.com

jbkenn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

I've gotten that content advisor crap before too...
    IIRC deleting my *.pws files sorted it. (Win98)

As for the connecting to the net on startup...
    Do as the lads said already, check your MSCONFIG setup and run an updated virus scan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,463 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Drunken stupid ott reply, edited out by myself.
    Apologies Kyro

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

No excuse for stupidity, sorry, virus spreaders like yourself, need to cop on

I'm not spreading anything...so shut up. Its a Trojan horse program that wasnt even being used..my firewall would have spotted it, and that icq a/c is long dead afaik.
    I HAVE the latest NAV2k update...I've scanned my PC several times and it still doesnt find anything. If it wasn't for jbkenn telling me, I would have left it alone.

I don't know why the hell its not on the NAV2k virus list.

and Longfield, it's not even my PC..I never open e-mail attachments, and I have an updated virus scanner.

I think you need to 'cop on' and stop throwing around your wild assumptions. :p

• Advertisement

Sorry for the over the top response Kyro, was pished when i wrote it.
    I've edited the post.
    I need to stay away from the boards when i'm completely twazzled, get over excited :)

BTW NAV2k2 does work, didn't pick up in my drunken haze that you appear to be using NAV2k or NAV2K1

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

No harm done :)

Anyway, with the virus problem sorted, I still have that IE5 problem and I've had no luck.

I dont have any *.pws files on this system, and I dont see what it has to do with IIRC

Any ideas anyone? :confused:

Did a search on google..this is what i found maybe it will help here too.

Gist of the post ..

If you are comfortable editing the registry, run Regedit.

The key you need to delete is
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Rating
    s\Key

If there is a sub-key called .default you will need to delete that too.

Always back up the registry in advance <<<standard warning.

Hope that helps

Thanks man, that did the trick..now I can stop using that buggy, 'uncompatible with absolutely everything' Opera program! :D

Glad i redeemed myself :D , hope Bard doesnt see ya dissing Opera !!! ->>He is in luv with it muhahha :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement