Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Faction

Options
  • 29-09-2001 9:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭

Bought it today in HMV for £35 squid. Well worth the money. Excellant game brings in alot of new concepts with regards to game physics. As it is the multi player side isn't going to blow CS away but maybe some clever moders will make an amazing mod. It's definately got the potential!

.logic.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

Didn't realise this was out yet here, must look it out sometime too when I'm in Dublin :).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

I walked into game today and this game caught my eye. It had similar weapons to halflife and I assumed valve did something with halflife for a console. Then "Move Over Half-Life" appeared on the screen and I stood until I found out the name of the game... Red Faction. It certainly looks impressive to say the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

I got my hands on a demo of Red Faction, and I can't say that I was impressed....

The combat was very dull...it felt like playing doom but they come at you 2 or 3 at a time instead of coming in hoards. I could have my pistol out, shooting a guy at allmost point blank while he just strafes left and right like a madman...and my pistol would still miss. The weapons were boring, to say the least the pistol for some reason would shoot a mile off target. I did think the infrared scanner on the rocket launcher was a nice touch...but It wouldnt work in multiplayer. And there was nothing really amazing done with the Geo-Mod.

Of course, that was just the demo....but It really does put you off buying the game. Maybe when its out on budget and there are some decent mods for it. A WW2 mod where you could dig your own trenches would be excellent. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

I had a run around on the demo, the multiplayer was fun.. especially that gun that i dont know the name of thats shoots through walls. Well call it "Shooty-Through-The-walls-gun" . The singleplayer demo wasnt fantastic, but that was only one level. It definenltly has the potential to have some cool mods if theres a few decent teams interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I played the demo. I love the geo-mod stuff, there's great potential for it. As for the actual game - its a bit fast paced. I was getting quite bored of it by the end of the demo too. Still, if its going cheapish I'll probably get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 OttoVonBis

Thought it played a little like No-One Lives Forever....

Liked being able to blow tunnels through walls but the AI and combat wasnt the may west....still that was only the demo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

IS it out on the PC or only the PS2 ?? cos i dont have a PS2 and dont intend 2 get 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

I wasn't impressed with the demo either. The weapons were weedy and the AI didn't feel up to much. I found it so dull that the first time I died I just exited and uninstalled. I wasn't interested enough to continue.

Max Payne on the other hand.... :)

Pug: It is available for PC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Belisarius

Ive also been underwhelmed by the demo , Pretty enough , for what is essentially a cavern , I was personally caught staring at the excavation lights for a few moments before going off to fight Capitalist exploitation ,Got to the first scripted sequence nicked the Little riot fork and had a few laughs with that , but the Pistol sucked ass soon after , requiring you to close to get any sort of accuracy , and the rocket launcher wasnt exactly good , never had any real feel of power in it , yadaa yadaa got the mining truck , was ok but nothing better tbh i found the minisub more fun from the tut .Anyhow it was good , no halflife but fun , Id get it but id hope theyre not all Mining levels , a few of the screen look beautiful , but then they wouldnt be very good screens if they didnt ,anyhow Ill be getting it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

Thought it was pretty good myself. Quite atmospheric and pacy, although there's not a great deal of innovation to add a little originality to the game. Definitely not in the same league as Half-Life, but the rocket launcher is cool and the AI is better than most games of it's genre.

Using the pistol, however is quite annoying. The enemies strafe constantly from side to side, requiring you to unload a few clips before taking them down. I don't like the fact that they seem to re-spawn as well in the mines.

That said, I haven't got a chance yet to play it enough to get the whole picture of the game. It's better than most FPS's, with nice graphics & gun models, but it doesn't really excel. Hmm, I rekon Max Payne is much better, even if it is a little short.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

the game is excellent.

i played some multiplayer the other night and was very impressed.

the whole idea of blowing up terrain brings in a new aspect to the game, you can tunnel from one end of the map to the other, well in theory you could.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I played the multiplayer demo, thought it was fun...

Does anyone have an ftp for the full version it so i can properly try before I buy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Cheers kix,might get it.........
    And get that site for prea....it might be useful ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

It got very unenthusiastic reviews. If you have a console get Time Splitters. If you have a PC don't be getting console conversions ffs! Get HL and UT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

If you have a console get Time Splitters.

I wouldn't wish TimeSplitters on my worst enemy.
    If you have a PC don't be getting console conversions ffs!

Er it's not a console conversion. It came out on PS2 first due to market force type rubbish - the PC version is the one originally developed and the developers are of distinctly PC lineage (Descent, Conflict Freespace).

It's a bit poo. Multiplayer CTF is fun but the rail driver unbalances things slightly. The singleplayer has its moments, but they don't do anything even remotely clever or useful with GeoMod and it's ultimately a completely linear and mindless shoot'em'up with a plot depth that Home and Away would be ashamed of.

The only remotely interesting bits are the vehicle parts, and they're not particularly well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

It's a weak game.
    The story is weak. Fitto the weapons.
    IMO, and this is just after finishing the demo, is that I'm damn glad I waited for a coverdisc.
    They obviously spent time implementing the code for teh destructable scenery (storing the actual locations etc.) and the publisher rushed them to get teh game out the door.
    They were also codevelopping it for the PS2 at teh time.
    Of course the gameplay and story will lack. Console games are meant for quick glitzy thrills. Which is fine after the pub.
    Graphics weren't exactly that good either. Pretty standard.
    Look at UT or Q3 and see the difference.
    The mod scene, again imo after the demo, will be it'#s only saviour. Thank christ the PS2s won't be able to get them.
    Some of the arrogant clueless b4sterds I've met talking shyot about how good the 'graphics' (at 640x480 I might add) are. B0llox.
    Volition do have a PC background, freespace was semminal. This reeks of "Soneh Plah-Stash-ohn, Yoo Buy! yoo buy! Onleh For Hunded Dollah! Looook At Dee Ah-Mahzing Graphix!" etc.

I don't particularly like consoles. have a PSX.
    Hate it. Rented most of the catalogue that was available through video stores/friends. Played most for at least an hour or two. Couldn't go on in uch of em. Such derivitive dross.

Geo-Mod holds promises. Which it has so far failed to deliver.

Though I have to admit, MGS kept me going. Got to Metal Gear in about 3-4 hours(relative time - I exist on a higher plane to most people ;) )

Colin McRae was also good, but put a Forcefeedback wheel on a decent PC and it 0wned.
    In fact, the only way to properly play racing games is ona PC.
    Nascar4 for example. Or Grand Prix2/3.
    Case and Point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

i also bought it and was quite impressed ,ok the single player is a bit short , i finished it in 4 hours game time , but multiplayer is fun .
    some clever mod makers could make it a classic thought.....

Console games are meant for quick glitzy thrills. Which is fine after the pub.

Uh-huh. Played a final fantasy title recently? Zelda? Silent Hill? ICO? Vagrant Story?

Hmm. Didn't think so. Ah well.

• Advertisement

I have played FF7, on both PC and PSX.
    Didn't like it at all.
    Seen much much better RPGing in Baldur's gate.
    FF7 sticks you too much to a set story.
    The immense size of BG kicks it.
    Diablo was a better job.
    Even Mordor for Win3.1 gave me better kicks.

Zelda is one I forgot to mention.
    My apologies.
    Moving on....
    Silent Hill sucked. Useless control system, doesn't turn half fast enough, hence the inclusion of the 'snap-around' button.
    Same with RE. The Analogue sticks don't allow for enough accuracy to make it any faster though.
    It feels the same way as Any of those abhorrent SmackDown!s (why the superfluous exclamation mark???), just not soooo shiiiite.
    ICO and Vagrent Story i'll have to admit haven't blipped My radar.
    Must try em so.
    Grand Turismo is a very fine example of efficient coding for the PSX, but those dual shocks again aren't up to teh task.

There have been a few decent beat-em ups, but my performance is pretty bad after a few jars. Hence why my brother wants to fire up the PSX, the Amiga and even the Gameboys at 1:30am
    Correction
    Consoles are meant for quick laughs after the pub

With some exceptions.

Also, were you to look at teh 'Gamezone' pages on Aertel you'd see that the mailbag area is populated by console owners. Only.
    Muppets. Every last one of em. And at least 2 of the worst offenders really should have a better standard of english, basic cop-on and thought cohesion.
    The Playstation was origionally a 20somethings toy. Hence the dance tracks on Wipeout.
    Now every little rat-b4sterd form here to Skerries has one.
    And Sony is laughing.
    The PS2 is not an excellent, or even great machine. It's average.
    It can render a few metallic textures, a couple of lightmaps and some reflections. In 640x480.
    Cost £350 + PLUS A TV. *ahem* and a decent form of STORAGE.
    Oh sure, pay £200 for a licenced 40GB hard drive.
    Its something convieniently forgotten when people try to use the apparent value for money of a console against a decent PC.
    Were I to be givena PS2 the first thing I'd do is take off the cover and put some decent heatsinks on it.
    Fuppin thing overheated while playing DVDs. WTF?
    Emotion Engine my arse. Arrogant gimps.
    [/END RANT]

Red Faction is basiclly a PC port with some extra multiplayer modes and level editor of a PS2 Game which was origionally drafted for a PC but Which Soney waved money in publisher's faces for...

And I take a bit of offence at your assumption that i hadn't played Zelda of FF(whatever).
    hmmm. didn't think so. Ah well.

Not even a hairs chance had I to a timely rebuttle. :/

Also, how can you argue the 'Glitzy thrills' bit if most console games reviews, press releases and packaging emphasises the 'Super Graphics' and 'Fast-paced Action'
    Hence 'Glitzy Thrills'.

It's a shame there wasn't tighter controls on what was given a PSX licence compared with Nintendo's stringent QC. When there was a bug found in Mario the fellah quit his job in disgrace.
    You think anyone at SquareSoft or Cyro would do that voluntarily?

Jesus H Christ. A PC advocate accusing consoles of having buggy games; will wonders never cease?

No wait - they won't ever cease! You're also accusing consoles of being too expensive and having hardware woes!

I note that since you didn't like FF7 et al, you're simply discounting them entirely from the equation and saying that consoles are just for cheap thrills. Right. That makes sense.

Fair enough, you apparently don't like any console games; so don't play 'em. But this doesn't change the fact that your comments about consoles are frankly uninformed rubbish. Yes, there are a lot of fantastic apres-pub type games for consoles, which is something the PC just plain doesn't do. However, there's plenty of damn good in-depth stuff there as well. Looking at the shelves in here, I can see more console games offering more depth of gameplay etc than I can PC games...

And sure, the PS has a lot of dross. Then again, are you going to tell me honestly that the PC has any better a sh1te:decent product ratio?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

Fool! You have incurred the wrath of the mighty Robert! Now we are all doomed! DOOOMED!!!

SyxPak: On the contrary..I find consoles best for RPG type games . If its action I want i'll just turn on a good ol' PC FPS. And I've yet to see a decent RTS on console (well, one that isn't a conversion anyway)

It's true, I prefer pc gaming to console by far, but I wouldn't dismiss consoles completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

ill only buy it when it hits the bargain bin......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

£259.99 it is for the PS2 now.

I'd still only buy it for MGS2, nothing else in the machines catalogue that really peaks my interest.

Shenmue II however........

Oh I'm all moist! :eek:

Advertisement