Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jumper setting and "M/B Switch" line

• 29-09-2001 10:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭

Two urgent questions for you:

1) The case of the computer I'm building has a bunch of little LED type wires to be connected in, most of which correspond with names in the motherboard manual. But there's one wire marked "M/B Switch" (presumably motherboard switch) which has no corresponding entry in the manual. Whassat? Where's it go?

The manual lists: HDLED (=hard drive LED?); ACPI_LED: dunno; Power; empty; Sleep (nothing for this); Pwr-LED (a three-pin one, didn't have anything for it); Speaker; Reset; empty and Green_LED, whatever the hell that is. It's not the "M/B Switch", anyway, because it's a three-pinner. There's also and entry for "9" which isn't listed at all <sigh>.

This is a Kinetiz 7 motherboard, part of a Peat's kit, and the manual is in some strange form of English: ("Be sure to add some Silicone Grease between the Socket A processor and FAN to keep them fully contact, meanwhile to meet the heat sink requirement")

2) Upon contacting the nephew for tech support while building the computer, he told me, to my horror, that I might need to set jumpers physically to adjust for the CPU speed (it's 1GHz).

I thought this was all set automatically in the BIOS nowadays. Anyway, this is what the manual says - it appears to be written in some unusual form of ancient Sumerian:

"CPU bus ratio selection (J19&JP9)
    "The Host Bus speed by the CPU bus ratio equals the CPU's internal frequency (CPU speed)
    "If Host Bus speed = 100MH CPU bus ration =4
    "then CPU speed= 100MHzx 4 = 400MHz
    please setup CPU bus ratio according to the following table."

The following table doesn't go up to 1GHz; anything over 12.5 is "Auto".

What's the story? Do we have to set jumpers or not? I don't want to fry this computer.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

Yes you have to set the jumpers, there might be some info of use here www.hothardware.com

jbkenn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Fand

I don't understand how to calculate the jumper setting for a 1GHz processor and 256MB of PC133 RAM, though. How do I calculate it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

Your bus speed should be 100MHz so 100MHz X 10 = 1GHz dont worry about PC133 RAM

jbkenn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

I can tell you for certain that is NOT any Sumerian language

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Fand

JustHalf, a group of ancient Sumerians to whom I spoke on a Ouija board last night recognised the language but said the speaker obviously wasn't fluent.

We left the jumpers as they were, in the end; the MB_Switch line worked when plugged into the Pwr jumper. Everything started up and it's running hunky dory.

Thanks for the help, lads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

*sigh*

Guess I'll leave ancient languages to dubious methods of translation.

Advertisement