Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

URGENT: beginner calculating jumper settings?

• 30-09-2001 11:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭

Help, please: I'm making an Athlon-based computer with a 1GHz processor on a KinetiZ 7 series motherboard; the memory is 256MB of PC133 RAM.

Any computers I've made before haven't needed the jumpers changed on the motherboard. But this apparently does.

I don't understand the manual's instructions for calculating the CPU bus ratio, which are:

"The Host Bus speed by the CPU bus ratio equals the CPU's internal frequency (CPU speed). If Host Bus speed = 100MHz, CPU bus ratio = 4; then CPU speed = 100MHz x 4 = 400MHz."

I keep staring at this, hoping it's going to disentangle itself and mean something to me, but no, it hasn't. So can anyone help? How do I calculate the CPU bus ratio, please?

There's a helpful chart to use, *once* I know what the bus ratio is.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Okay this is quite simple. You should have two banks of jumpers.

One controls the multiplier and one controls the bus speed.

Depending on the configuration of these jumpers you can set different speeds. Starting with the multiplier in your manual it should show you a table of jumper settings and their corresponding values. So if you want to cpu to work at 1ghz you'll have to set the multiplier to 7.5

Look through the table and find where it shows the 7.5 multiplier then set the jumpers up or down according to this.

When you have that done you must find the bank of jumpers controlling bus speed. Now we want the bus speed to work at 133Mhz. Find in the table where it shows the jumper settings for 133Mhz bus and set them accordingly.

Your processor will now work at the bus speed multiplied by the multiplier value e.g. 133 x 7.5 = 1000 Mhz.

Hope this clears it up a bit.

.logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Fand

Logic - Why 7.5, please?

Is the "multiplier" you talk about the same thing as the "bus ratio selection" the manual talks about?

The manaul offers "bus ratio selection" and "CPU core voltage settings" in two separate tables.

Where are you - could you email me (jt.thompson(at)indigo.ie) and I'll send you a phone number or vice versa if you're in Dublin, and maybe I could ask you face-to-face, as it were.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Continue with that kind of helpful attitude logic and next thing before you know it you'll be posting on Humanities...

I'm sorry Licksy. I promise never to help anyone again. Oh sent u a mail Fand.

.logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

I've got a KinetiZ 7B mobo running a Duron800 @ 100MHz fsb.
    (A great mobo, but I'd avoid the on-board sound)

I didn't have to set those jumpers at all... apparently they're there "just in-case".
    Even if I change them, it makes no difference because the Duron is locked (stupid low graphite pencils), and the mobo picks up the speed on its own.

If your manual is the same as mine, skip over to page 21, and look down the bottom.
    Note: The Most of Socket A processors have locked bus ratio. In this case, it's not necessary to setup the bus ratio by jumper setting. So only unlocked Socket A processors can adjust specified bus ratio through hardware jumper setting.

It all depends on wether your CPU is locked or not, I reckon most of them are, unless you've asked for an unlocked one.
    I wouldn't worry about it too much really... unless something goes horribly wrong and you end up sending waaaaay too many volts through that Athlon :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Fand

<shiver> don't say that! We left it as was and it's humming away happily now.

All AMD's below 1.2 Gigs are locked. Santa use a HB pencil. They're about the best for unlocking.

.logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

*cough* *cough* conductive pen *cough* *cough*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Yeah, I know about the conductive ink pens, and the high graphite Hx pencils... but I'm far too cheap to splash out 12p on a pencil.
    I'll keep trying ones I find around the house until I find one that does the trick.
    If it's all the same to you.

Advertisement