Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-line-of-sight wireless broadband

Options
  • 30-09-2001 8:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭

http://www.techextreme.com/perl/story/13798.html

Interesting technology, and is just about available. The killer? It is non-line-of-sight, so hassle with mast positioning is irrelevant.
    Pace Micro Technology of Great Britain has unveiled a non-line-of-sight (NLOS) wireless modem it says is capable of two-way, high-speed video over Internet, voice and data services.

It may be after all that in a years time technology will have bypassed Eircom entirely, and by sticking to it's per minute no-broadband, no-flatrate guns, it may well have done some self foot-shooting. This is why I love technology. There is considerable brickwalling going on with Eircom, and eventually, as always, a solution is provided........and this is from Pace, who are by no means a small start-up style company.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

broadband wireless applications utilizing a technology called vector orthogonal frequency division multiplexing (VOFDM).

vector orthogonal frequency division multiplexing? What the heck? I know what all those words mean ... but can you really put them all together like that :) ? Sounds impressive anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭pertinax

if you wanted to cover 10 miles how many would you need?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

non LOS wireless? OOOoooooh pinch me, I'm dreaming :)

Come to Papa!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Sounds very interesting. And the cost is just $60 a pop? (assuming of course you buy 10,000 units). I have a feeling it'll be another year or so before this becomes widely available though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭R. Daneel Olivaw

True, but they cut out the middleman, which (being in Ireland and having no choice but Eircom), I like. Or at least, it makes the middleman negligible.

Even if it does take time, it's definitely the "future" after reading about wireless broadband around San Francisco. Look at Bluetooth at those new HP printers that only need a power socket, and communicate to the computer wirelessly. Pretty coolish stuff.......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

$60 per chip wholesale for more than 10,000 units. A standalone system will be more than that.

DM

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

I wonder what range you can milk out of it.. I have a feeling that it wont be more than 1k or so tops :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

if this were available at a competitive rate in the next year or two I would wait for it

then eircom may place their i-stream rip-off wherever it is most anatomically unfeasible and uncomfortable

anyone who could roll out this technology would clean up given the number of SMEs and even bigger companies in the IT and other tech sectors who are deeply p-ed off with eircom's service

definite business opportunity there for somebody or maybe I'm missing something? surely the eircom "touch of death" will screw up any such venture

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

Anyone have any info on maximum range?

As someone who lives in a hilly area in Co. Clare and can't receive either MMDS or Powernet this sounds very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

pork99 & elnino, can i suggest you have a glimpse at www.irishwan.org - a similar idea to the one mentioned already. We are still in the early stages of getting things set up, but register your intrest if you like - more people are welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

thanks Moriarty

looks interesting!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

Thanks -will check it out.

Advertisement