Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Reason for today's crap Music?

Options
  • 01-10-2001 1:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭

let me outline:
    1. Usually when a true artist looks at music they don't like they try to think of new music to make
    2. that happened just after nirvana and well we got nu-metal
    3. the people who should be making music now grew up in the 80's
    4. as we all know the 80's were crap caus people were tring to re-invent very good 60's music. so there was no inspiration
    5. the 80's were also a time of financial hardship so there was lack of money to buy guitars / drums / keyboards for kids

call me simple but thats my theory. you can have your opinion on it but i won't matter.

Did i forget to mention that interscope & Defjam & Columbia & top a lesser extent sony all control the charts.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Only one answer---->Marketing.
    ie.....Mass Market Manufacturing !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by Superman

1. Usually when a true artist looks at music they don't like they try to think of new music to make
    2. that happened just after nirvana and well we got nu-metal
    3. the people who should be making music now grew up in the 80's
    4. as we all know the 80's were crap caus people were tring to re-invent very good 60's music. so there was no inspiration
    5. the 80's were also a time of financial hardship so there was lack of money to buy guitars / drums / keyboards for kids

call me simple but thats my theory. you can have your opinion on it but i won't matter.

Did i forget to mention that interscope & Defjam & Columbia & top a lesser extent sony all control the charts.

gif

Please shut up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭The Gopher

Too many girls aged between 7 and 11?Just a theory:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭Paleface

Its all about the money. Music is driven purely by fat, corporate, bald, cigar smoking executives at Sony and Warner Brothers who never listened to music in their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

what crap music? just because all the music you know about is either on top 30 hits or in KERRRAAAANNGGGG you think thats it... if you dont like pop dont listen to it. thats what i do, and as far as i know i've never actually heard a westlife tune.

1:generally you'll find that a "true artist" doesnt neccesarily look at anything before he or she starts to compose/strum/press buttons or whatever, apart perhaps from his or her belly button.

3:the people who should be making music now grew up in the eighties? of couse. arrest that bob dylan fellow, he didnt do squat in the eighties.

4:the eighties were crap because ppl were trying to reinvent good sixties music. yes youre right. marrs, coldcut, joy division, dead kennedys, fabio & grooverider, the orb orbital and the klf were all REALLY just sh!t versions of deadly sixties bands. you probably own 5 cds mate, two of which are a double cd compilation of "the groovy sounds of the swinging sixties".

5:financial hardship ehhhh yes financial hardship in a gobal boom the rise of the yuppies mobile telephones thatcherism etc... i think the hardship started at the turn of the nineties but i could well be wrong so i wont make an issue out of it...
    got a casio keyboard [well sh!tty one tho'] for christmas of 89 incidentally...

meanwhile i can call you simple, no mate def jam dont control the charts any more than i do. the charts are controlled by ppl who buy music. see? when loads of ppl buy a RECORD, its position in the CHART rises, generating it more AIRPLAY on RADIO and MTV. you might ask a grown up to look up some of the terms in big letters for you and help you find out what they mean.

anyway what would be on the radio if you controlled the universe? underground stalwarts of the skate scene opm? when will ppl realise that just because the guy on tv has a nosering doesnt mean he is any more real than boyzone?
    music is not driven by *what paleface said*
    nor indeed is the music industry; there is just a lag between what we like and what this guy who spent 20 years pursuing a dream career to get to the top of the music business likes. thats why the likes of the rolling stones are still around. the havent done anything worthwhile since the sixties but well theyre a part of it arent they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

what crap music?

I heard an intresting theory that in general a CD will have 1-3 good songs and the rest all crap. If a band makes say 4-5 good songs the record companies will hold off on the good songs until a second album so it will sell.

5:financial hardship ehhhh yes financial hardship in a gobal boom the rise of the yuppies mobile telephones thatcherism etc...

There was hardship. Not everyone had a mobile phone and the yuppie boom lasted for quite a short time. Anyway if all your doing is singing you don't make a lot of money. Last few years of Thatcher were in fact a recession.

the charts are controlled by ppl who buy music.

Nope the charts are controlled by the record companies. How do you think those bands get on to TV or radio? The airtime is controlled by the record companies.

They actually had a documentry on BBC a few years back how on easy it was to get a record into the charts even if it's total crap. Also some labels have been caught buying thier records to falsely move up the charts (S-Express is the only one I can think offhand).

But your deluding yourself if you think that somehow the charts are made by the people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Hobbes is right.

How about that single that sells for £2.99 about £1-£2 cheaper than the rest on the shelf in the music store ?
    Is that not an incentive for the teenyboppers out there to buy the 'cheaper ' product, thus giving the impression that the cheaper single is popular ?

rest assured, its all down to marketing by labels who have absolutely no interest in promoting talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

guess cos its based on the singles chart rather than album and more ppl tday with their extra cash would buy an album rather than single. tis much better value. And seen as its based on single's they get more airtime + all that marketing n **** that sucks in the kiddies, like a fat paoedphile with candy (eeww)
    Parents will buy and give money to their kids to get this ****, when before t'was a ille bit more older generation that were the buyers, n so target's for music. But see as our population gettin older, it should improve....hopefully :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Tyranny ended the thread with his post. He made all the points i wanted to make but was too lazy to point them out for the 1000th time:)

OK, so hes wrong about the people controlling the charts. Record companies have always controlled the charts, but we all know that (except the original poster obviously:) )

oh yeh, and lol at this:
    Did i forget to mention that interscope & Defjam & Columbia & top a lesser extent sony all control the charts

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

The reason is cos people are too lazy to go out and find somthing good to listen to... so they just listen to trendy crap or whatever is in the charts (which we all know is fixed). And good old Bren says: "The Underground lives".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

I blame the young kids who actually buy the likes of Britney Spears and Eminem. As long as kids keep pumping money into their 'Idols'....there gonna start cloning other Pop superstars. They accept that as music and know no better.

Wait till they grow up...by then the can distinguish beetween 'talent' and 'talentless'. Usually happens beetween 5th-6th Year and College :D

Protect your kids from those dirty popstars and save us all the bother of having to listen to their drivel! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Originally posted by [cm]tyranny
    what crap music? just because all the music you know about is either on top 30 hits or in KERRRAAAANNGGGG you think thats it... if you dont like pop dont listen to it. thats what i do, and as far as i know i've never actually heard a westlife tune.

Cynical answer about music #1.

"If you don't like it, don't listen to it."

Yes, but this is a disscussion board, lets not forget.
    This thread here is an actual discussion, you realise?
    Just blurbing out junk like that and generalised moronic comments like "just because all the music you know about is either on top 30 hits or in KERRRAAAANNGGGG you think thats it..."

It holds no weight in an actual discussion.

meanwhile i can call you simple, no mate def jam dont control the charts any more than i do. the charts are controlled by ppl who buy music. see? when loads of ppl buy a RECORD, its position in the CHART rises, generating it more AIRPLAY on RADIO and MTV. you might ask a grown up to look up some of the terms in big letters for you and help you find out what they mean.

Yes, why, let's simply have stabs at each other rather than make actual conversation, and decent points argueing other decent points...

As to the point you seem to be making in this part of your "Rant", somewhere in there, if I dig through all the slagging off, I can see a point.

Basicaly it's been said, that the companies DO control the charts.
    I wont dwell on this part, as it seems your weakest arguement.

anyway what would be on the radio if you controlled the universe? underground stalwarts of the skate scene opm? when will ppl realise that just because the guy on tv has a nosering doesnt mean he is any more real than boyzone?

How more generalistic can you possibly be?
    Can you honestly be so concieded that you actualy think that people who are here "Discussing" pop, are just playing one "pop" artist against the other?

I seriously doubt there a single person here who would listen to opm.

This would seriously be the most ignorant generalisation you've made yet.

You're asuming that because people here are saying "Underground" they obviously mean something that is as marketed as such?

Please, stop being so pretentious and "holier-than-thou"...

I wonder, if you're next comments are going to be? That is if you're even bothered to look at this thread again, as you seem like the type who would just asume that their words would end the topic.

I wonder if you're going to have stabs at that music I listen to now, instead of debating or answering my points.
    To be just as pretentious as you are:
    I'm sure you're going to come along and name some band I've mentioned in a "Best Guitarist" thread or the like, and make even more assumptions that I would only listen to the likes of Iron Maiden, because I mentioned them a couple of times...
    Originally posted by Kyro
    Wait till they grow up...by then the can distinguish beetween 'talent' and 'talentless'. Usually happens beetween 5th-6th Year and College :D

You tell yourself that, don't you?
    But it never seems to work out, does it?
    You keep thinking to yourself, "Well, give them time, they'll realise themselves at some stage that it's shamelessly promoted crap."
    But they don't!

The whole idea comes crashing down when you see a pair of guys in their 20's talking about music, and one of them goes "If it's not in the top 10, it's NO GOOD!" :D

Although, don't get that I'm being an arsehole here...

Just arguementaive. :D

I'd get into quite extremely opinionated arguements with Red Ice on here, yet laugh away as he'd tell me the cd's I just bought were ****e, when we'd meet in real life.

Just remember.

"Music is about opinion, not fact. Do not confuse the two."

And also remember, I'm just being an arguementative dickhead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭tools

A complete lack of rebellious spirit in youth.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Yo Mamma

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Cheez

No Civil Disobedience!!!
    No Civil Disobedience!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

the reason is because crap music is defined as immature music (simple* sounding songs) or generally music kids think is cool, rap-rock numetal (some types any, who can say that slip knot aren't a kiddy band when all i see is 10 yr olds wearing the teeshirts) and whatever
    i'm sure theres more but the point is, they are now geting more money to buy these ablums and singles, and the more money made is the more this crap is put out.

*simple as in unintelligent

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭adeypius

there is music for everyone, young, old, hippy, trendy, mod, rocker
    and one group aint going to like the other (generalising)

to me there arnt crap music only crap music stations

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

the reason for todays crap music is simple.... money.

there is plenty of music worth listining to, and I suppose its no harder to find the good music now than it ever was... its just so much easier to find the sh!t.... ie. CH401 (MTV)... oh wow! look! there it is! all day! every day! duuuuhhhhh.....

...whats Zac de la Rocha doing these days?... RageATM spliting up was a terrable thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

whoa! well i noticed that ppl for once actually read a post i wrote... whatever next eh? but no i dont think that i was being particularly wrong in any of thew statements i made....
    as my mate miller always says "all music is a bunch of opinions" - hes a breakbeat dj, wont go to d n'b gigs and if he does listens to his koma and bones tapes on his walkman; i'll slag him and say breakbeat is jusdt spee garage for crusties. angelwhore much as i have been part of the leather jacket massive, when regi and me lived a stonesthrow away from fibbers etc... i wouldnt dream of giving out to you for listening to blistering terror carcass nuns or whatever norse metal thrill kill cult is on the up now, though you have to admit that this nu metal bollox is getting serious exposure in the charts BECAUSE PPL ARE BUYING IT and hence its on top 30 hits. the record companies were probably quite surprised at that i'd say... which is why they are falling over thamselvres to sign up the next stone temple pilots [remember when grunge was the in thing and the record companies got it slightly wrong? well we need a load of chart stuff so we can GROW UP TO LISTEN TO GOOD STUFF those girls buying britney spears now? soon as their first period hits they'll be down hmv with a copy of rid of me under their arms dying to get home to dye their clothes...
    none of this is negative; its the way it is. oh AND BEFORE ANYONE CALLS ME A JUNGLIST NERD... and this will make you happy a-whore i 'm only after coming off the decks at a mates gaffe mixing shy fx into type o negative. :P

• Advertisement

BECAUSE PPL ARE BUYING IT and hence its on top 30 hits. the record companies were probably quite surprised at that i'd say...

Especialy when they through out a manufactured band called Linkin Park.

And lets not forget that an ego called Fred Durst is signing a lot now...

and this will make you happy a-whore i 'm only after coming off the decks at a mates gaffe mixing shy fx into type o negative. :P

lol...

Which Type-O song?

Oddly enough, I haven't been listening to any new murderer bands these days at all...
    Just the regular old Emperor/Mayhem/Darkthrone... Thats enough killers for me, I think. ;)

Still listening to Cradle of Filth since I got Dusk and Her Embrace way back when...
    Man, thats some time now...? And to think all of a sudden they're popular?

Been listening to Type-o since world coming down though, that was about 1998... Wow... Long time there...

Ah hell... I'm not going to bother going into all the ****e I got!!!
    ****ing room is overflowing with CD's... Lost count ages ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Sure, the charts are mass-marketed drivel in general, of course they are - most people don't care to take the time and effort to track down their music, they want it handed to them on a plate. They want it simple and are happy to be spoonfed by the marketing moguls. This is fine, it's their right. We all do it in different areas (If I went to buy a car I'd probably get done in the eyes of someone who cares enough to learn about them).
    Tyranny's right in saying that people control the charts and not the companies. The fact that Sony et all know all the right buttons to push, the correct media and approach to market some 5 minute piece of junk with pretty people as a front does not change the fact that it is still the consumer who makes the choice.

Actually I think now is the greatest music age we've ever known. It is far easier now to get high quality recordings from new, diverse and far flung artists than it was just 5 years ago. When I was in college it was nigh on impossible to get decent alternative music, I relied on pirate stations for a long long time - now I can go to the web and find the same and related bands in a matter of minutes, then get their work shipped to my door (or downloaded). Also the price of quality music mastering and production equipment has drastically decreased. For Just 1000 quid you can turn your PC into a pretty decent 24bit/96Khz Midi,composition and mastering station.

I find it hard to keep up with all the excellent music available nowadays, just avoid chart programs to save yourself some time and cynicism. It's about my taste, not everyone elses, and how much effort I'm prepared to put in to appease it.

Basically if you think 'all music these days is crap' it's because you're not really trying to find the quality work that's out there somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

and what exactly is wrong with britany spears or eminem?

and i bet if any of you were musically untalented or prepared to prostitue yourselves, you would have no problem being in westlife.
    personally, id love to be in a bot band. youd have fame, money, oyud meet lots of women.
    seriously.
    someone tell me they dont want that.
    just coz youre a cynical hard-chaw who thinks every single 'romancy' song is 'crap', doesnt mean it is.
    personally i hate all this 'soul' crap. all this mary j blighth ro whatever. you know the stuff. used to be nothing on in the late ninties but this muck. craig david, hes one of htem as well.
    but, hey, i still wish i could make they money that they do.

ho hum.
    and yes, i do like britany spears and eminem.
    hmmm, must make me at least third my age

Originally posted by _CreeD_

Tyranny's right in saying that people control the charts and not the companies. The fact that Sony et all know all the right buttons to push, the correct media and approach to market some 5 minute piece of junk with pretty people as a front does not change the fact that it is still the consumer who makes the choice.

Well... Watching top 30 hits last night, I kinda noticed something...

I'm sure we've all at least noticed that SlipKnot are selling more than backstreet boys. As much as I hate the band, I bring this up as a point of reference.

Their new album IOWA, outsold the new backside boys by nearly twice as much.
    And their single, left behind is also riding high in the charts.

Yet, to my suprise... They weren't in the charts at all? No no.1 album...

So...
    Just a word to those who think that the charts are actualy what the consumer is buying...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

far too many processed bands and sh!te like that

And

that other sh!te .......... white man's rap bands aka Nu Metal*.

Long live Britney :p and her class videos;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Originally posted by AngelWhore

Well... Watching top 30 hits last night, I kinda noticed something...

I'm sure we've all at least noticed that SlipKnot are selling more than backstreet boys. ....
    Their new album IOWA, outsold the new backside boys by nearly twice as much.
    And their single, left behind is also riding high in the charts.

Aye, but you said it yourself...Their ALBUM is outselling the backstreet boys. The single you say is actually there already.

It's a single chart. Which as was pointed out earlier I think (Too tired to go check :confused: ) is affacted by the fact that fans are more likely to buy an album and not a single from a consistantly good band than from the pop-wonders.

True, but there is a top 10 albums part in the charts...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

its an easy answer which has already been said

money

lets say you have MILLIONS of ickle girls with MONEY

lets say you have 5 no talents "boys" played to the girlie market by the company

BOOM, enter smash hits and other toilet paper zines

oh how i long for the days of REAL hard rock, when AC/DC sold 19million copies of BACK IN BLACK

but wait, AC/DC are still the same, a universal constant, praise be :)

Advertisement