Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Programming and the Stock Exchange??

Options
  • 01-10-2001 2:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭

Funny title for a programming thread I know, but then again...

I heard a while back it was possible to pull current stock information from sites like Nasdaq and NYSE etc. Let's say for example I write a site, and the sites's back end is able to retrieve the the current stock info from the stockmarkets.

I don't want to write a web site that does this, but I just want to know is there some kind of interface that will enable my software to talk to their software and get this info.

Thanx IA lads,

;-phobos-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Howya Weston,

Ed did a currency programming that pulled AIBs latest currencies down from the web last year, I'm sure he has the parsing code there somewhere (I might have it even ;) ). That's if you want to bother parsing the html pages, and hope that the site doesn't change format.

Otherwise you better go search to see if they're in "raw" format somewhere (I believe that's the correct phrase).

Al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

Al,

I heard that there was some kind of interface that programmers could use to get the quotes. I had though about parsing the output of one of their serverside scripts, but for a degree project I don't think that would be good enough.

Take for example I am going to write both the wireless client and enterprise backend in Java, I think I would be shooting myself in the foot it I were to do something like that (keeping system independence in mind). I don't mind cutting corners, but I could just imagine O'Shea's face if I turned around and told him that his precious data was being fleeced from something like Nasdaq.com :)

There has to be a way to do it, because when you think about it, all the information comes from the one place. But several (possibly 1000s) of sites around the world display that current info on their sites, so where the hell are they getting it from. It wouldn't be very stable if everyone just parsed HTML code.

Cheers for the feedback, nevertheless.

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

From what I gather they pay to get access to that information and use advertising revenue on thier site to offset the costs.

How about checking into the stock exchange websites themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Alis

You can do this in loads of ways.

e.g. There are ASP componants that 'tear' stock prices, JavaScript Includes or Applets are also commonly used.

The data comes from a number of places. If you don't want to pay for it, you usually have to display a link and credit to the source you got it from.

Alis

If you actually want to do this, mail me, I have a list of companies that offer financial content like this I can send you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Alis

Actually there are some links on my site that might be of interest:

http://www.purplepages.ie/site/content/links.asp?subcatid=66

Also check HotScripts.com, I remember they have some categories about tearing data with components.

Alis

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Bosco

Careful there Phobos......Mr. O'Shea (may he live forever and his coffee be eternally warm and tasty) may be reading :)

Nah, Brian doesn't like BBS, he said so before.

He also is addicted to caffeine (like myself). Everytime you see him with his double paper cups of coffee, I will be drinking coke. Damn technicians don't like me drinking in the labs. But then again, I'm friends with the head technician, so I don't get too much hassle.

But it would be nice to get this working, coz as I said already parsing documents is just not good enough. But if there is no alternatives to paying money, I'm just going to have to re-evaluate some things. Probably mean me approaching the project from a different angle.

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Originally posted by phobos
    Nah, Brian doesn't like BBS, he said so before.

He's a bit of a muppet tbh.

I'm friends with the head technician, so I don't get too much hassle.

Alrighty then...

But it would be nice to get this working, coz as I said already parsing documents is just not good enough. But if there is no alternatives to paying money, I'm just going to have to re-evaluate some things. Probably mean me approaching the project from a different angle.

;-phobos-)

Don't turn down *any possible angle* to work from. Fuck it, ttyl - be down in Gaillimh in a week or 2: you going down?

Al.

Two weeks, sounds like a plan!

Check your mail :)

;-phobos-)

Advertisement