Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sell it to me...

• 01-10-2001 4:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

Phantom FM... why should I listen to IT as opposed to 98FM/FM104/LiteFM/2FM/TodayFM ???

Go on ... sell it to me :) (and keep it short!)

...oh, - and what's the frequency (, Kenneth :) )?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

Short answer....if you have to ask why you need to listen to Phantom as oppossed to the other tripe I think you've already gone beyond help ...no offence.

"Life without Phantom can drive you maaaaaddd"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭Sinister Pete

You'd never hear the song you just made a joke about on any of the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 mick

I tuned in a couple of times and cant tell the diffrence.!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by Trev M
    Short answer....if you have to ask why you need to listen to Phantom as oppossed to the other tripe I think you've already gone beyond help ...no offence.

"Life without Phantom can drive you maaaaaddd"

There's a flaw in your logic.

I don't generally listen to any of them, so I wouldn't really know how good/bad the others are these days or why yet another station is an obviously better choice.

That's why I asked. ... WHAT makes it a better station to listen to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Manufractured Individual

*Ahem* Because Phantom plays kickass music.

Because it doesn't think it's a novelty to play rock.

Because the DJs only ever have American accents if they come from America as opposed to the bull**** American voice every DJ on the other stations seems to think is cool...

Because it has DJs who can be funny without use of fart noises.

Because it's just better ok?

If you need convincing to put all that effort into *ergh* turning on the radio and *argh* tuning in the bastard then maybe you shouldn't even bother...just turn it on ya lazy fool.

• Advertisement

Thank you, Manufractured Individual, for providing the answers I was looking for.

As for your last line... erm... it's no effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Nellys Belly

You couldent afford it:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

Phantom FM... why should I listen to IT as opposed to 98FM/FM104/LiteFM/2FM/TodayFM ???

well the others are **** and mostly dictated by the charts

Phantom is 91.6FM

Yeah it was just a joke...I mean you were making it sound like it was a big deal to have to turn on the radio and just listen to see if you like Phantom you know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭o sleep

why should you listen to phantom? obviously, if it caters for your taste. if you like bands like (i don't know) the revs, stereophonics, placebo etc etc then listen to phantom. if you're not a particular fan of music in general, and you like the corrs, stereophonics, geri halliwell then turn on 98fm or fm104 (it doesn't matter which one, they're both ****). if you like tortoise, mogwai, jim o'rourke, blah blah blah then (try to) tune in to xfm. simple as that. listen to the station that appeals to you most.

or mix the two you like most, which is what i do (ie, switch between phantom and xfm).

• Advertisement

"the revs, stereophonics, placebo"- what a horrible way to describe music on Phantom - three of the ****test bands thay ever play and I never hear the ****ing Stereophonics on there anyway

Hands up if you hate the Stereophonies...

*Raises hand...raises other hand as an indication of his distast for the Revs...remains sort of impartial towards Placebo...just doesn't notice them really...*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 velouria

#raises one foot just to be different# stereophonics SUCK!!!!!an why did they appear on both lists? huh?!!!!?!??!?!?!!? i likes the revs i dont know why everyone has such a big grudge against them its like ****ing cool not to like them or something around the stoopid music centre anyway well whos a mini rocker now yeah?:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :(

I liked the Revs for a while...then I saw them again, and something was just different, I dunno. This was before Wired to the Moon and everything so it's not that, I dunno, I just started to think "...but this sucks...". I just got bored with it I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

The Revs got a bit of success and all the "Tarquins" and "Elans" of Temple Bar decided that it would be "un-cool" to like a successful band, and instead decide to spout crap like "they were better before 'Wired to the Moon' man..." etc.

As if they ever heard of them before that song :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong though, they are sh!te.

And please don't get me started on the 'Phonics...

Anyway, back On-Topic...

Bard, it's already been said but if you like rock/indie music it's the best station for it. And the presenters are quite nice too, especially Sinister Pete :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Niall I'm suprised :p

PFM is categorically the only radio station I've ever listened to that I could put on and listen to w/out retuning for hours on end-

When it went off air last Jan- I went through bad cold turkey.
    I dont think that would have happenned w/ any other station-
    alrite Pet Sounds, Dave Fanning & John Kenny have their moments- but nowhere near the sustained consistency Phantom has.

Phantom Fm 91.6- Suck it and See ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

*lies on back and raises every limb possible towards the air*

yeah...i didnt mind wired to the moon the first 20,000 times i heard it on phantom but after that it just grated on my nerves a bit

and i hate all those bands who shout/wail/try to sing and are **** but have a cult follwoing among the 11-14 year olds like the bloodhound gang and blink 182 and *argh* sorry its annoying me too much to even think about it.

but ive listened to phanotm for YEARS and thanks to it, have heard of so many great artists i never owuld have heard of if it wasnt for the airplay they got from certian dj's.

"Niall I'm suprised" Why ? I just said the Stereophonies, Revs and Placebo are **** not that Phantom is....it's my faaaaaaaaavourtie radio station

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

He meant the other Niall.

I was wondering why he called by my real name

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 ro7

Bard was this a trick question , anyway Phantom is without doubt the best station in Ireland . I have not given XFm enough time admittedly , but how can you argue with the dedication to great music . I shout at those commerical stations when I hear them say with that cheesey accent " You heard it first on ......" in relation to the likes of David Gray , The Stereophonics , Juliette Turner et al . I don't listen to any of those but you know what I mean .

Trev, No, it wasn't a trick question. I wanted you guys to try to ( convincingly :) ) convince a non-listener to become a listener ...

From what I've heard of it (driving home from work, usually at 3am or so), it sounded like a good station...

Monkey: HELLO... From one Niall to another. I believe 80project was referring to me by my actual name, though, not you :)

--

It doesn't matter after all, as all I seem to be getting on 91.6FM out here in north Co. Dublin is white noise... i.e.: there's a signal there, - it's just silent.... or is it only on at certain times of the day now or something?...

Weird.

but but but...I did hear them before that song...I saw them at one of them Blast thingumys when I used to go...they just got annoyingly repedative...mwaaaaaaaargh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

Originally posted by Manufractured Individual
    Because it has DJs who can be funny without use of fart noises.
    hey hey there, dont mess with the original :)

used to switch on Phantom FM back before it was cut off. wednesdays at 8pm there was a guy who would play anything you requested on radio. classic. then it got cut off, and i married Hannah from S Club 7. never looked back.

adnans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Sorry for the confusion Lads:o

Yes indeed it was Bard I was referring to when I mentioned "Niall"

I meant to ask you Niall / Bard could you get PFm out where you are...Obviously not:(
    The southside is served well-
    BTW it all started in a garden shed just around the corner from me;)

Advertisement