Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Design Opinions....

Options
  • 01-10-2001 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭

Just have a gander and see what you think, I'm just looking for any feedback you have, just say it I don't care if you want to completely slate the whole thing, just try and be constructive :)

Oh yeah, you'll be needing this... http://www.gamerseurope.com/yabb/blur/template.php

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Brown Eyes

I like it.

BUT
    imo there is too much text on page and it is too dense. People don't expect this and they probably won't be bothered to read it. You need to either be brutal with the text or break it up in some way to present it.

Also, it would be nice if the top banner was "alive" in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭jim_bob

I think the idea was good when it first came out but most game web sites u come across just all look the same (as does yours) try doing something a bit more unique, I’d also have to agree with brown eyes regarding the amount of text on the page

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

Well what would you suggest jimmy, I really can't think of anything that hasn't been done before.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭MarkMI6

Oh man we've been debating this ever since we started up Gamers Europe! How can you be original in a saturated market? It's a hard question to answer and one we've failed miserably at attempting to answer. Also, take a look at the front page: http://www.gamerseurope.com/yabb/blur/main.htm

It's far from finished, but what do you think of it so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Terminator

Looks too cheesy. The original look is better but not great either - too image-heavy.

You don't have to reinvent the wheel to get a good website - a nice white background with fresh primary colours can still do the job - just look at http://www.ign.com/ to see what I mean.

Finally, if in doubt - leave it out :p

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I don't like it to be honest, that blurry look makes me feel ill. The logo is pretty cool, and the big buttons (Sony, Nintendo, etc) aren't bad, but the smaller ones (news, reviews, etc) weren't really well thought-out IMHO (white on white? hello?). All in all, I'd be inclined to more hard-edged, or to at least give some definition to the blurry bits.

Hey, you wanted honesty right? No? Oh, it's lovely... :)

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

The blurriness looks great I think but when you try and read the text it also makes my stomach feel a bit of motion sickness. One way I can see to get round that is to make the blurry width less and make it appear raised from the blue background by adding shadow to the blur. If you raise the floor of white then readers may ignore the surrounds.

The news, reviews, previews etc is just one big jpeg as far as I can see. Are they meant to be buttons because they are not working on my IE.:confused:

Basically it would be cool in my view to have the text part larger than the menu parts. If you can make the font a small font with a rollover of a larger font maybe (may be icky), this way you could save space by making the menu sides a lot smaller and achieve a larger surface area for the text so can afford to have larger gaps for ease of reading.

(sorry, that page is just a template huh? I guess thats why the buttons arent working:o )

If you do anything, at least reduce the width of the blur to make it look less cloudlike.

Gluck!

Comments appreciated fellers, taking them all on board. About those buttons you mentioned gordon, we're changing those to text links to cut down on our imaging rampage. Check out main2.htm in the same directory to see the proposed (not finished) front page design, with new buttons.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Nicer and simpler. How about changing that Gamers Europe logo to blend in a little more to the background, specially the bottom right corner.?

Do you mean the top left corner, I see nothing bottom right :) What exactly don't you like about the logo then?

• Advertisement
Advertisement