Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

heh.. might sound stupid but..

Options
  • 01-10-2001 8:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

heh.. might sound stupid but.. what if we sent an email to every DSL, ADSL, Unlimited 56k access, Unlimited unmetred access ISP in the world telling them about the situation in Ireland, Aren't some bound to move in and try get loads of customers?

I duno, theres probably loads of things stopping them.. What are your thoughts/answers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭P R O F A N I T Y

What makes you think they dont know,
    Remember theres BT, NTL. AOL, Freeserve, UTV.NET, AT&T,COLT and many more isp's working in ireland today, maybe not all in the residential sector, but they are here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

Big problem - they would have to agree a price with Eircom :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭NeilF

Originally posted by P R O F A N I T Y
    What makes you think they dont know,
    Remember theres BT, NTL. AOL, Freeserve, UTV.NET, AT&T,COLT and many more isp's working in ireland today, maybe not all in the residential sector, but they are here

No one is bothered with the residential market in Ireland, probably because it is Eircom's cash cow and they would challenge every decision the ODTR made to open it up. It would just be too expensive and time-consuming for them. What the ODTR has documented as say a six-month process would take three years with Eircom.

However, in my mind the other telcos are just as bad if not worse than Eircom for allowing Eircom to get away with it. There are plenty of big telcos who could join forces and easily sort Eircom out but they are quite content to hog national licenses[1] and put so much fiber in Dublin it will look like a Christmas tree come December. Its comical that Eircom and Esat are having public disagreements yet the ODTR is powerless because neither will complain to her.

I think it was the ODTR who said that before local loop unbundling almost all the other telcos were demanding action etc. because they wanted to offer products. When it happened all but Esat backed out.

Esat was the only other telco to speak strongly about the situation with Eircom. UTV Internet made a lot of noise to say nothing at the seminar and I don't recall NTL or Chorus making an appearance but I will accept corrections to that :)

It is to their loss in the end because they come across as spineless companies who couldn't give two hoots about the country and that means no loyalty from us as customers. We will just keep hopping around to the cheapest. If someone stood up and fought Eircom every step of the way (and won) they would have customers for life.

[1] Chorus, Esat and Eircom all have wireless local loop licenses and only Chorus offer something outside of Dublin to residential users. But only in Limerick.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Originally posted by NeilF

UTV Internet made a lot of noise to say nothing at the seminar and I don't recall NTL or Chorus making an appearance but I will accept corrections to that :)

UTV Internet are an ISP, not an OLO. I spoke briefly to their business manager (the one who declined to comment) after the seminar, and she explained that as they were in negotiations with both Eircom and Esat, they were not in a position to offer any comments.

[1] Chorus, Esat and Eircom all have wireless local loop licenses and only Chorus offer something outside of Dublin to residential users. But only in Limerick.

Eircom theoretically offer WLL, but when it comes to the crunch they will have an excuse not to provide it -- something like, oh let's say, the signal isn't strong enough, despite the fact that I can see the mast, which is about 3-4 miles away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Originally posted by oscarBravo

eircom theoretically offer WLL, but when it comes to the crunch they will have an excuse not to provide it -- something like, oh let's say, the signal isn't strong enough, despite the fact that I can see the mast, which is about 3-4 miles away.
    Interesting, i was under the impression that eircom had no wireless mass up in dublin while esat had 6, maybe its one of theirs

• Advertisement
Advertisement