Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE brave new comedy- Bachelors Walk

• 01-10-2001 10:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭

Just finished watching the first episode of this and I for one really enjoyed it. Maybe it's because I'm living in a similar situation but I thought the humour flowed really easily.

The characters are being nicely developed even in this first episode and I reckon the potential is there for absolute hilarity.

For this one though i have to admit an 'out-loud' chortle or two and I'm pretty surprised at how decent it is.

Plus it's kinda cool to see them walking around Dublin :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Von

It doesn't know if it wants to be a sitcom or a 30 something angstfest. The dole scum character is good, but the others are poopoo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭R. Daneel Olivaw

I thought it was actually OK, given my usual hatred and cynicism for RTE stuff. No conventional soap style Fair City/Glenroe crap.

Yeah the bloke on the dole has a very good characters. ("so do you smoke.........do you have any smokes *on* you") lol, some genuinely funny lines from that guy. ("this is not a welfare state anymore" "but it is" "no it isn't" "but it is" "no it isn't".....that was great). I could go on, needless, same stuff. The dole guy is the only really good character, the American could be good as a real bitch, not sure about the rest.

I won't start on the clippers and the puppet. It was almost like half sitcom half reality-TV, what with the shaky handheld camera sometimes. I'll actually watch it though as it's refreshingly dissimilar to RTEs usual pap. I thought it would be done really slick sort of like Friends or something, but the half-witted camera work actually suits it.

And furthermore, I relate to absolutely none of the characters. It's finally some proper entertainment from RTE that doesn't involve Mike Murphy/Gay Byrne/Pat Kenny, or copies foreign shows, or isn't generic soap crap. It's actually odd that they even allowed it's non-farm or non-kackerville setting to get past the RTE managerial staff (assuming there are managerial staff).

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭nore

Yeah, promising...
    Thought the Ray character(Wycherley?) couldn't act. Though his romantic situation is interesting.
    And the dole guy, Barry, reminded me so much of some people I know with his fantastic ambitions. He's a sort of relic from the early 90s, before there was actual opportunity in this country, and everyone's ambition was sort of unrealistic. Thought the dole interview scene with it's cuts to his fantasies of his dashing business role counterpointed by the interviewer's matter-of-fact outlining of his situation summed it up very well. Though the idea of him as a sort of pimp for street entertainers is silly - no-one with the balls to be a street entertainer is likely to be taken for a ride by a chancer like him - or maybe this is all his fantasy world??
    And Michael is also an interesting character - sort of like the Clunes-character in 'Men Behaving Badly', caught between his girlfriend and his laddish lifestyle.
    The use of Dublin scenery is obviously more like 'About Adam' than 'The Commitments'. And no harm - it glamourises it and defamiliarises it.
    Will definitely watch again next week.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Best part for me was the "hair in a can" gag, absolutely classic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Terminator

I agree with what everyone is saying. I also admired the fact that it didn't try so hard to be likeable - something "The Cassidys" could learn from. Dublin looked surprisingly good on camera too - which was nice :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

It was OK... good in parts, but just 'OK' overall.

The Blizzard of Odd, on an hour later, however, was great, as usual, and it's great to see it return to our screens.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭nore

Have to redouble my recommendation...
    I thought the second episode of 'Bachelor's Walk' was excellent - it's already established it's main characters and was able to throw in a load of memorable secondary characters without cluttering everything up - the Party worked very well. This is developing nicely. Though it's a bit obvious that new house-mate Alison has a thing for Ray and she'll just wait loyally by while he gets his infatuation with his ex out of his system and then his eyes will open and there it'll be, "true love", right under his nose all along!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

where is that video shop "Reel World"?, i know ive seen it somewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by SofaKing
    where is that video shop "Reel World"?, i know ive seen it somewhere

The interior of it looks like that Lazer Video place above the Planet Cyber Café on the North Gt. George's St. side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭comanche

is it now on upper leason street? Near The Barge? .... have to say though kudo to the blizzard of od afterwards for pulling the piss out of the cassidys .... what a god damn awful show! I switched over by the end of the intro sequence, enough to make you want to gouge your eyes out!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

I only caught a few minutes of it last night - what was the story with the unemployed guy chasing after the teenage girl?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

I'm enjoying this series a lot :D

I aggree with Nore on the development of the characters. Although it's only the second episode I'm already real comfortable with them and their role in the comedy (gotta love Barrys brave resistance to being dragged into the Celtic Tiger kicking and screaming!). By the way I concur on the Alison hooking up with Ray thing (kinda a Ross and Rachel in reverse?), That'll be milked over the years...

Like I said its a real 'unforced' kinda humour. You just find yourself laughing, there no 'ba-boom' like they are desperatly forcing in 'The Cassidys' (the less said about the latter the better...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

my god this is the best ****in thing on tele i.m.h.o. at the moment, easily. Its defintly recheckin legendary status with me. Its ****in class. :) well done RTE for once. i wants to see more and more of it. sorry i missed the very first eposide now. ah well. hopefully they'll show it again and agian. just brillance. :) monday nites! great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

I have to say, I love it. Last night's episode wasn't great, but the second one, with Lee, the drubnk teenager, was a classic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

only 2 episodes left now :(
    hopefully RTE's drama department will commission a new series

Advertisement