Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE brave new comedy- The Cassidys

• 01-10-2001 10:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭

Sorry but I thought this was utter sh|te... :(

Very forced humour (if you could call it that) and just seemed to be screaming for attention 'Look at me, I'm so droll'.

Ed Byrne was decent (always is) but must be cringing at this.

I'll give it another couple of episodes but I really thought this was dire especially compared to Bachelors Walk.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Von

Twas truly appalling, stilted dialogue, too many bland characters and unfunny situations (except perhaps when the creep guy is told the mother is dead). It's not the actors' fault, that writer should be shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

utter utter crap
    the characters were so cleché and so flat
    altho the acting was ok compared to the batchlers walk which the acting sucked along with the whole thing

tbh i wasent expecting much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 pmccourt

I got tickets to see the filming of the second show in RTE and I was appalled at what I saw. I managed to get the tickets from a friend, friend, friend who heard about the production company looking for people. So I rang them and tey gave me 4. They told us to be there for abouts 6 coz filming started at 7:30. When we arrived it was quite obvious that everbody else had been there for some time previous coz the amount of empty bottles of complementary Bacardi Breezer(tarts wine!) was amazing, looking around at the other tables I couldn't help but notice how everybody was divded into little groups, and ever group had at least one person who had some kind of RTE t-shirt. Its quite obvious as well when they went around loooking for extras that it was specific groups etc.. that they pulled them from. Another thing was missing from the group when I looked around was(and it took me some time to find it) was where were all the ordinary people, or the uglies, or the small people!! no where, all skirt and black leather boot wearing D4 heads with their nose at a 45 degree angle.

The show was a disgrace, every cliche in the book, silly love struck middle aged man, North side 'rough' van driver, little miss lost woman in early 20's, hard as nails unforgiving business woman and a Woddy Allen Irish style.

This was supposed to be the saviour, it was supposed to change the way RTE made comedy, the production company was supposed to be fresh and then the writer is asked to stand up and say hi to everybody(later investigation I found out he wrote 'Upwordly Mobile')!!!! GRRRRR

NO EXCUSE, no excuse at all!!!!

I seen Ed Byrne in London only a few weeks ago, and his standup was excellent, if I was him I wouldn't come back this island for another 6 months for shame, although he may be lucky and nobody might watch it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Magwitch

Despit all its short commings I thought it was a step in the right direction. Given the horendous "jobs for the boys" that RTE has foisted on us and branded as comedy (any one remember "Stop Press!"?) this seems to be in a different vein. Pehaps they may improve it but the production values are definity greatly improved (that being relative as its RTE of course).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

The cassidy's sucked dick. Bachelors Walk, however, was brilliant. Very funny.
    Ed Byrne is a lot less funny now that he's got his hair cut. He changed man, he used to be cool.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Bloody Drunkard

Only one word could accurately describe the quality of The Cassidys

PANTS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Actually pmccourt I got tickets for the first shown second recorded show too and at the time it was great craic. I can understand how people didn't like it on TV but live it was great fun. They had a warm up guy and also Ed Byrne quipped jokes here and there and did the warm up for the second half. I had wrinkles on my face that I never knew existed, after the shooting.! :p

Yeah, there was a lot of Bacardi breezer though! And pissy cider apparently. But hey what do you expect from such a small budget (it isn't funded by RTE). A lot of Dublin 4 totty yes... rrrrRRRAAaaooow there were some hot chicks there grrrrrr. But that is the target audience I think.

Shame not many people liked it but... you live you learn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 stecull

I thought it was good craic, some light entertainment! Sure the comedy wasn't subtle and characters were paper thin. But so what. It was a good laugh. If your not able to see that, perhaps it's simply because you have your head stuck up your ar*e. I'm glad to see that RTE are finally coping onto the fact that the 'Old boyz' Network suited nobody but the 'Old boyz'.
    I'll be tuning into in again next week. Good craic, sure what more could you ask for!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by stecull
    I thought it was good craic, some light entertainment! Sure the comedy wasn't subtle and characters were paper thin. But so what. It was a good laugh. If your not able to see that, perhaps it's simply because you have your head stuck up your ar*e.

Its not a good laugh, its appaling and the script is terrible. Turn over to bbc2 at 10pm after the cassidys and watch Coupling. A good example of what good acting, scripting can do for a comedy show. I wont even mention shows like Frasier and Seinfeld, since theyu are wasted on someone who thinks the Cassidys represents 'humour'

I'm glad to see that RTE are finally coping onto the fact that the 'Old boyz' Network suited nobody but the 'Old boyz'.
    Yes, they copped on so much, they got the write of Upwardly Mobile to write this. Upwardly Mobile was easily the worst thing on television in the last 10 years, yet its bastard son is allowed terrorise us more?

I'll be tuning into in again next week. Good craic, sure what more could you ask for!!
    Humour and Entertainment possibly?

Advertisement