Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overclocking

• 06-02-2000 3:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

Okay overclock it, this sounds hard, u need stuff don't u? anyone recommend a site for overclocking pentium mmx 166 (gateway) to 200 without it blowing up?

Okay i've been to tomshardware.com, says p166mmx is very overclockable, even up to 250mhz wow!, it tells me to change these settings like 2x75 bus etc, but doesn't say how to do it. Any suggestions ?
    + what bus speed does a G5-166 run at?

[This message has been edited by Vincent (edited 06-02-2000).]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭Gerry

Look for settings on your motherboard called
    multiplier. These will be labelled 2.0x 2.5x
    etc Change it from 2.5x to 3.0x. Then if this works look for clock frequency or bus frequency. Change this from 66mhz to 75mhz
    Have fun smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭BugBlaster

and remember... these days calls to the firestation are free.... smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭BugBlaster

Just kidding...
    mines overclocked already. twas easy for mine.. the manual for the motherboard showed me the jumpers to use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Vincent

Bugblaster mine shows me aswell, it gives settings for jb1 and j21 processor speed jumpers but what do i do with them, it's a black thing stuck to motherboard,

what do i do? smile.gif

Do i need extra cooling for overclocking gateway p166 to 200 ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

just overclocked a dell 166 to 200 yesterday, didnt need extra cooling. But it did already have a nice big heat sink on it.
    If you dont have the manual then just **** around with likely looking jumpers and test your cpu speed every time. in dos use ctcm (link in tomshardware.com's overclocking guide), or in linux cat /proc/cpuinfo.
    just read up the techy web pages and give it a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

You won't be able to alter your FSB beyond 66Mhz on a Gateway/Intel board.

At the moment your cpu is running at 2.5x66Mhz, you need to change it to 3x66Mhz - as long as the board has the option. Some were limited to supporting 166, check your manual.....

I don't really know what i am suppose to do with jumpers, (they are wire thingys right? smile.gif )

could someone email me step by step information on how to overclock it, talk to me like i never used a puter before smile.gif

me email is crazymonkey7@hotmail.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

`Be fairly warned though...
    Although your system may run ok for a few months after overclocking, it'll probably just die on you sometime there after sad.gif
    like mine did... sad.gif
    But the good part about that is that you get to buy a new mobo/cpu/memory! smile.gif

But in answer to your question...

You'll first need to remove the cover of your system, 4 screws on the back should do the trick nicely.

Then you'll want to look in at the "motherboard"* and find the appropriate "jumper"**(s) and change them to reflect the new speed that the "processor"*** should run at.

(The manual of your motherboard should be able to help out with the correct jumper positions for what speeds, you're looking for clock multiplier settings etc, you should find a diagram or chart of some sort indicating which jumper arrangements are for what processors.
    If you don't have a manual, see if you can get that info from the manufacturers' website.... usualy www.(whoever).com)

Once you've found the settings in the manual, you can move the jumpers/switches to their new positions (as indicated), put the case back on, and boot up.

Look out for constant crashing/freezing, or if your system doesn't POST****, then you've clocked it too high. So set it back down a notch.

Glossary
    Motherboard*
    The big green board that all the other little things plug into.

Jumpers**
    Little plastic cubes that you slide onto those little metal prongs on the motherboard.
    Used to change settings.

Processor***
    The little Gizmo that does most of the work.

POST****
    All the stuff the computer does in the first few seconds after you turn it on, like the memory check etc.
    (Stands for P.ower--O.n--S.elf--T.est)

-Dead{o}Santa

When you have your system open have a look at the memory slots, are they SIMMS (4 banks, RAm in Pairs) ir DIMMS (2 banks). If it's SIMMS you have a THOR otherboard, if DIMMS then you most likely have a Tiger-Eye or Mailman (It doesn't matter which of these as they have the same Jumper config).
    I'm afraid that Gateway don't have the manuals up on their WebPage any more. The best bet is to take down you BIOS code, it'll be on the first POST screen at the top, and go looking on INtel's website for an exact match.

• Advertisement

smile.gif thnks lads, the pc has to last another 6 months so it should be okay till then hopefully smile.gif i have a manual showing me jumper settings, but i still find it difficult smile.gif okay jumpers are the wires with the small plastic things at end or big ones? or i'm i totally stupid? smile.gif

I'll try this over the weekend so i'll report back then smile.gif))

[This message has been edited by Vincent (edited 09-02-2000).]

Eh...I think you might be talking about the capacitors......Better leave them well enough alone.

A jumper is a small rectangular piece of plastic, about half the size of a finger nail. Usually Black or Blue. The usual ones will fit over two small metal pins like a glove, closing the circuit. Have a look on the back of your CD-ROM or HDD and you'll see one in the block for setting Master/Slave/CS.

They pull out perpendicular to the surface they're mounted on.

okay i changed the jumpers to the correct settings. but processor clock speed hasn't gone up.

mine cpu is currently running at 2x66Mhz, but i need to change it to 3x66Mhz before it will go up to 200mhz, but i don't have a clue how to change this????

someone please help me smile.gif
    (my processor is limited to 233mhz)

[This message has been edited by Vincent (edited 12-02-2000).]

Eh, Vincent, that doesn't make much sense. You say you changed to the correct Jumper settings , but then also say that you don't know how to change the multiplier.... I think in words sense making should there be by you.... wink.gif

I think we've given all the advice any one can with the info. you've provided. Now it's just up to you, you are the guy with the manual.....

Sorry mate.

sry creed, sorta got mixed up there smile.gif i changed everything to right settings for 200mhz, but i still only get 166mhz, then i thought i'd play around with them, i got nearly every speed possible except for anything higher than 166Mhz, so any idea's??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 dollar

Get a proper motherboard :-) , some times the processor won't clock to 200MHz. Did you pc not boot ever when you changed the jumper settings?

It booted up, but it never booted up at 200mhz and 233mhz. I got 120, 133, 150 smile.gif

Looks like you're out of luck I'm afraid. It's an intel board, and they're useless for overclocking.
    If you've tried the correct jumper settings then there's nout else to do......

Ah well smile.gif

thnks for replys, i'm buying a new graphics card and some ram, that will do till i get new puter smile.gif

Vinnie here signing off, topic closed smile.gif

Advertisement