Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gigsmart band Network

Options
  • 02-10-2001 9:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭

Next meeting Wednesday 3rd in Eamonn Dorans at 7.30pm, some important decisions need to be made this week, if you're not there ya can't help make them so do your best lads..

New bands welcome-please bring a disc!!!

Trev M

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

The Shelter is confirmed for the 20th

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Our band (The Jive Principle) won't be able to play that one will we?

Im afraid not lads, unfortunately you couldn't make it along to the last meeting when we organised the gig on the 20th if I remember correctly, I understand you've been very busy

Hopefully you'll make it tomorrow so we can include you in future gigs?? I 've heard your stuff and hope you guys do decide to get involved

Just a note at this point and NOT! directed at Jive Principle,

How do people think we decide who gets to play and who doesn't??

I mean there are loads of bands mailing the network saying they want a gig....step in line.

Not everyone is prepared to put the effort in to organise a gig and they wait for things to be handed to them, gigsmart will not be handing anything to anyone.

We organise these gigs ourselves...y'know "the network" that is Gigsmart.... not the Network that is "people who send e mails asking for gigs", there's a huge difference in my view.

Some people are do-ers and some people will sit on their asses and contribute nothing..... complain about promoters ripping them off and yet continue to play promoter gigs....what's that about?

I've no problem with other bands doing that, but gigsmart is about bands that want to participate and organise things independantly of the promoters who run the pay to play scene. You don't have to pay a promoter for every gig you play or organise....rent the venue yourself!

Sorry about the rant here just wanted to make the point that being part of a band network involves more than arriving at a venue and playing a gig....... you pay for that privilage, remember, and usually a promoter charges you £100 - £150 for that ??

Once again, I am not directing this at the Jive Principle but others out there who think we're handing out an easy gig.

Rant Rant Rant !!!

Sound. I spoke with you about this already anyway. We're in town for rehearsals tomorrow night, so we can come along anyway... the lot of us, and see what this is all about. Talk to you then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Gar_ptc

here here trev !
    everyone is *interested* in playing but do they turn up?
    do they try and organise a gig?
    guys,there is no *head honcho*,its a CO-OPERATIVE thing...you know... everyone invloved,doing equal amounts of work...

im just peeved at all these *interested* bands who
    arent ACTIVELY interested.

if you want to start something up,let everyone know,if you WANT to get involved,then do

• Advertisement

Alright then lads. We all turned up to Eamon Dorans last night (admittedly late) at 8:10 or so, we assumed the meeting would still be on! We just got caught up in rehearsals, ye know how it is! Anyway, what time did the meeting go on til, what do any of you look like and where the hell in Eamon Dorans were you!? This information can be handy. We asked the band that were onstage downstairs first for yourself Trev.... no joy.

So, tell me, what's the story? :confused: how long did it go on...? How are we supposed to knowthenext time!? It would've been a good idea to tell the bouncers there was a meeting too... but then again we were late, so sorry about that! :cool:

Dr. Loon,
    We were the group of 14 or so individuals sitting around a table upstairs with note pads , pens and papers making plenty of noise and looking quite distinctly like a bunch of musicians ....some with flowing locks ....in a meeting..The meeting didn't finish till 9.30pm

the place was fairly empty as I recall , however Ill take your comments on board re telling bouncers on the door and bar staff etc. Too noisey downstairs to have a meaningful discussion that's why we were upstairs...in any event the meeting went very well

What do I look like?

http://www.otranome.cjb.net/

Gigsmart Lads -

E mails, remember...?

Will have the proposal drafted and mail it on to you guys tomorrow , I think it looks good anyway

Phil Seprico, what about the site, can you find out soon.

Hmmm... 3 of us looked downstairs and sent the singer upstairs to look!! Weird. Ah well we missed ye... we'll get the next one. Singer must be blind! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

I have to reiterate what Trev has said, I'm blue in the face telling people that this isn't a "we're cool can we play a gigsmart gig and sit on our holes letting everyone else pay/work to put it on"

As per last night, my email is brunkard@hotmail.com

The meeting was fantastic and it looks like gigsmart is going to be something that will have a big effect on this tiny scene!

RAWK!

• Advertisement

Here... don't give me shít 'cos we turned up late, and then didn't spot you, or rather our singer didn't spot you.
    we're cool can we play a gigsmart gig and sit on our holes letting everyone else pay/work to put it on

Who said this exactly!?? We didn't make it last night, so I understand we don't get to play at whatever thenext gig is. Don't start gettin high and mighty cos your helping to organise anything. I didn't say we're cool, and are gonna sit on our ásses... that's not what we did. So quit the self righteous shít.

Like I said.... we'll be at the next meeting. :rolleyes: Jaysus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Beany

Lads, at your next meeting could you please discuss what role the non-Dublin bands can take with assistance, promotion and general organisation of the gigsmart group.

I agree that everyone should earn their place in the group, and I believe my band, Obsolete, can contribute to the marketing, media design and local/internet promotion of the group...its just akward for us to attend meetings from here in Mullingar, but as you know Trev, we're still up for it and want to help.

Anyways, could you please bring up the 'culchies' topic at the next meeting, and maybe discuss the possibility of an on-line meeting in a chat room. We'll try to come up for the next meeting.

We know it ain't a free ride, and we're not looking for exemptions either.

Cheers,
    Beany.

just a suggestion,but as culchies you can deal with all the country venues that youre "moderately" near and try and get gigs for a load of us down their...maybe even a DIY festival

Gism

cHILL OUT dude!

I mean those unfortunate liggers that harass me after gigs and get upset when they discover that its not a free run in life, I don't even know your situation! Peace on earth and goodwill towards men et al!

Originally posted by Thomas from Presence
    cHILL OUT dude!

I mean those unfortunate liggers that harass me after gigs and get upset when they discover that its not a free run in life, I don't even know your situation! Peace on earth and goodwill towards men et al!

You tellin me to chill out!? I'm not into people who think they're in control of everything...there's no need to reiterate shít... I'm one of the only people posting here right now, who didn't make it, so quite clearly your post is directed at me! So don't tell me to "chill out dude"

Can I also just ask who... aside from Trev M there, is organising this stuff... now don't give me stupid replies... I know "everyone" is doing something.... who are the main organisers along with yourself Trev?

I don't want to have bad vibes before I've even met some of you.... but don't call me dude! Where you from ..... California? :rolleyes:

Thats a good idea Gar...I'll gonna look into it...we'll drag you city folk down here on a regular basis...spreading the network.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Richie

Me being a fellow Mullingarian Beany, I can safely say that a culchie-esque Gigsmart gig shall indeed be on the cards. Getting the Stables in Mullingar for a Friday or Saturday night is no problem whatsoever, so there should be no problem organising a 3 or 4 band gig there for some weekend in late October/early November. We can have a chat about it at the weekend anyway if you're attending the Label gig on Saturday.

Dr loon,
    With respect.........
    There's no big deal here and there's no need for anyone to be taking offence, nobody wants to get high...... and mighty(as opposed to nobody wants the get high) cause they want to organise stuff...

I understand both sides of the coin here ...

Those who put the time and effort in can get frustrated that's the nature of operating in such a confined and limited scene with next to no resources as such. It is very difficult, everyone should be prepared for that and gigsmart doesn't aim to wave a magic wand. The best of people can get dis-heartened when you have to keep listening to negativity from people a lot of the time.....but we get back on the not so high and mighty HORSE and dust ourselves off and carry on..sometimes the frustration gets the better of us...but we do carry on?

Those on the outside or with limited input can possibly feel alienated/removed/snubbed or whatever and feel like people are acting all high and mighty(understable), this is the case in too many places around Dublin at the moment and has the scene in the state its in...I mean you must have dealt with the people I refer too at some point or other..
    I think Thomas has vented a level of frustration along with myself earlier, that is common to the rest of us involved from time to time....criticism is one thing but people going out of their way to make things difficult is another (again a comment that is not directed at you).

Anyway I don't want to continue on a diplomatic splurge again as I waste too much energy on this type of "why can't we all get along stuff" and have been accused here already of being a psychophant and ego-ist so Im basically done with that end of things.
    I hope you do get involved, I hope many more people get involved and I hope that its not myself and Thomas posting all the time and calling meetings all the time and ringing around all the time etc ...but at this moment in time it is, cause no-one else has stepped up to the plate. Trying to get approx 20 bands to co ordinate takes someone at the reigns if ya get me

You asked who else is involved in organising, these are the folks("everyone" so far)I feel have been actively involved and have actually done something in someway or another I'll probably leave some#
    out so sorry if I do

(no particular order)
    Stephen Perri (Publisher)
    Adam Walsh (Golden Discs)
    Gar Moss (Student)
    Phil and the lads(Seprico, software engineer?)
    Britta and the lads (The Jessies, students)
    Frank(Writhe)
    Brian Bradley
    RTE ACE website
    Leagues O' Toole
    Treasure Island
    Osolete (Beany/Mixer)
    Kade
    Briain Bradley
    Phantom (thanks for not deleting our posts!! Heeeheee)
    Steve Byrne
    Richie Murray
    Sinead Gleeson
    JJ (Entertainment.ie)
    Westland Studios

There's a few anyway...Next Thursday , 7.30pm Eamonn Dorans

Again not to be funny here, but look for people in a huddle like situation ranting away with pens and paper flying about the place.... It's not a big serious we're gonna get evryone deal its about making things better for gigs ....thinks of gigs, those poor little gigs.

Later, Trev

PS Anyone who wants to can mail me with their thoughts/criticisms or whatever privately that's no problem its just getting a bit difficult walking on the proverbial eggs shells in my lead boots (hahah)

gigsmart_ireland@yahoo.co.uk

If ya can't be sunshine, don't be rain.....
    thats what it says on my calender today

gigsmart_ireland@yahoo.co.uk

Yeah Richie, I just thought of you after I posted that message...no doubt you've been telling Dec and the lads about Gigsmart. I can't make the Label gig but I'd say Mixer will probably be there so you might grab him by the scruff of his neck and chat to him...he's got an excellent marketing head on him due to the nature of his job, so I reckon he could be very useful to the promotion of Gigsmart.

Trev, I'll try to make the journey up to the meeting next Thursday...I'm sure the other pair will join me.

How did the gig go last night?

I'm one of the only people posting here right now, who didn't make it, so quite clearly your post is directed at me!

sighs
    Emmmm... No, it wasn't.

I wasn't talking about those that didn't make it. I nearly didn't make it. Others didn't make it.

BTW I'm from Sacramento, CA, thats how we talk there. I can't help what I am... :(

Are we cool now baby?

:cool:

Bodacious!

• Advertisement

Hi Beany,
    Yeah the gig last night was a mixed bag...very enjoyable

Good Points

Technically - best gig easily , no mistakes so that what was great

Got rawk stars points racked up big time...evidence soon to be posted on our site soon hahaha very funny stuff actually and had a great laugh at myself so I'm expecting at least 25 points!!!

Bad Points..
    Hardly anyone at the gig to see good points..

The gig clashed the Freshers ball in UCD apparently and and something else on somewhere maybe trinity or something, temple bar was dead last night...shame really cause Blotooth deserved to pack the place..

I've consulted my Rawk Points Bible, and it transpires that the low attendance could assist your points tally.

To quote from the Rawk Bible:
    "If the participant performs with increased vigour in any activity deemed worthy by Chapters I and II of this book, with full knowledge of a low capacity crowd, this participant is entitled to 1.5 times the points registered during the event."

I'll have to cross refernce the BS standard, but its looking good for you...you're climbing up the table.

Yeah, I really enjoyed the gig, but it clashed with Freshers Balls in Trinity and UCD, and I think there was a traffic light ball in DCU or somewhere. It was a pity, cos as Trev said, Blotooth deserved a much bigger crowd than they got. Ah well .............
    I'd just like to add that after our first song, I ws physically able to ount the number of people present. Surely that entitles me to a bonus. Oh oh, and I had a wee discussion with the poor under-worked bar lady, from the stage, so surely thats a bonus as well. Come on now, I'm just making sure that we get all the points we're entitled to. Consult that Rawk Bible there Beany and get back to me!

Hey Richie,
    I wonder if this would be construed as "hyping our own **** again" by our favorite hate mailer? (Andy)

Interesting to see that Andy appears on a certain mailing list eh, I noticed it quite by chance?

I dunno Trev, God only knows!! if he sees it as us hyping our sh#t though, YES ANDY, WE ARE SHAMELESSLY HYPING OUR SH#T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On behalf of that fantastic rock outfit OBSOLETE that the members of OBSOLETE do not condone the promotion of music through a messageboard format.

OBSOLETE (www.obsoletemusic.com) believe that this is a shameless practice and should be condemned.

OBSOLETE know that messageboards are there for opinions to be vented, like for example if someone wanted to talk about the musical stlye of OBSOLETE they could use the message board as a communication tool.

Abuse of the structure makes me want to scream...

OBSOLEEEEEEEEETE!!

...richie gets extra rawkis points for sticking his finger up to me,i even took a photo of it!
    j!ve indeed occured...
    so good....

also:

bow down to me;i took THE finest selection of photo's....i think...
    jazz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭mixer007

Have to agree with Beany on all this self promotion. Obsolete in no way condone this, and would never ever ever use any message boards to preach the good word. Obsolete obsolete

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭DG - Corrupted

7:30 tonight in Eamon Dorans people! Don't be late. Ask the bouncer where we are. Any newbies should try and get in for 7pm so we can let yiz know wots goin on. Anyway, see yiz all there.

DG

• Advertisement

Lads I posted already sorry, but I aint gonna be able to make it til 8 or so.... c ye then

Advertisement