Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

oc a 486 and a p2 400

• 14-02-2000 8:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭

right how would i oc a p2 400 ??? what do i need to do i have extra fans etc... but im wondering how to do it . i tried to play around with the multiplier setting but that dident seem to change a thing it still said @ boot up that i was still running it . o and for a laugh how do i oc a 486.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

You need a motherboard that allows you to change your FSB. If you've an OEM system (Gateway, Dell etc.) that's pretty much a no-no. Your CPU is at 400Mhz because it's a 4x Multiplier on 100Mhz FSB.
    Boost the FSB up and the clock speed goes with it.

The PII-s since about the 300 mark are clock multiplier locked, you can change it all ya like in the BIOS but it won't have any effect.

[This message has been edited by _CreeD_ (edited 15-02-2000).]

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

See
    http://totl.net/Eunuch/index.html
    for overclocking a 486.

Draco

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭Gerry

Theres a program called softfsb that lets you change the fsb speed in windows ,even if there are no fsb jumpers on the board (ie if is autodetect ) or if the bios doesnt support it. It lets you increase the fsb. Just yesterday I used it to oc excelsiors
    p2 266 to 320 and it works perfect. Theres a link to the program on shugashack.com
    somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Aye. 'tis a cool program once you can match the right chipset for it.
    I never tried it on a non-changeable FSB MBD though. Well, if it works, it works (Duh)... smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

Phil, you put any extra cooling in his PC?

• Advertisement
Advertisement