Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adsl Not Available

Options
  • 02-10-2001 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Phoned Eircom yesterday and was told that I could order ADSL service if I phoned back today.

Phoned this morning and was informed that the service was not available (surprise, surprise) but no further information was available.

=============================
    Additional Information since original post
    =============================
    eircom i-stream announcement

eircom will make every effort to resolve all outstanding issues with the ODTR and to bring ADSL technology to customers as soon as possible.

The details of all customers who have registered their interest in eircom i-stream over the last number of weeks will be retained for use once a launch date has been re-scheduled. Customers who have not yet registered their interest in the service can still do so on the website under the product information section.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

So much for them giving the V to ODTR. It seems they have to listen after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭neverhappen

slightly more info (from www.adsl.ie)

Due to of ongoing discussions with the Office of the Director of Telecommunications Regulation [ODTR], eircom regrets to announce that the commercial launch of , eircom's new ADSL service, scheduled for today (Tuesday 2nd October 2001) has been postponed. eircom will make every effort to resolve all outstanding issues with the ODTR and to bring ADSL technology to customers as soon as possible.

The details of all customers who have registered their interest in over the last number of weeks will be retained for use once a launch date has been re-scheduled. Customers who have not yet registered their interest in the service can still do so here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I think they're just trying to make themselves look like friendly old eircom, the consumer's buddy, being stomped on by the nasty ODTR, your natural enemies.

ba$tards.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

heard a cringe inducing ad on the radio today for "Eircom I-Stream".

"Over 30 times the speed of ISDN and standard phone lines" - what they didnt mention is that

A) You have to be living in a certain part of dublin to get it
    B) Even then you'll be waiting months for it
    C) Its also 30 times more expensive :) than a standard phone line
    and
    D) Its got a whompin' huge cap so its more than 30 times more expensive to run realistically.

Bloody Eircom, would they ever join the real world?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Originally posted by rymus
    heard a cringe inducing ad on the radio today for "Eircom I-Stream".

"Over 30 times the speed of ISDN and standard phone lines" - what they didnt mention is that

A) You have to be living in a certain part of dublin to get it
    B) Even then you'll be waiting months for it
    C) Its also 30 times more expensive :) than a standard phone line
    and
    D) Its got a whompin' huge cap so its more than 30 times more expensive to run realistically.

Bloody Eircom, would they ever join the real world?

I think you missed the point, first of not matter what way it is, its not 30 times faster, that is a lie,

but the 1mb service is around say 25 times faster then single channel isdn.
    again eircom leaving out those important facts,

• Advertisement

Anyone complain to the ASAI yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

Originally posted by «Bo§ton»

I think you missed the point, first of not matter what way it is, its not 30 times faster, that is a lie,

but the 1mb service is around say 25 times faster then single channel isdn.
    again eircom leaving out those important facts,

A 1Mb connection = 1024Kb. Divide that by 64 (single channel ISDN) and you get 16.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I got on to the ASAI who told me to pfo basically that they didn't consider a website to be 'advertising' (so much for self regulation). I've gotten onto the ODCA to see if it'll do any good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 daithi54

Listen again. the radio ad doesn't mention ISDN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Fergus2

Hey.. sure the ADSL line across the local loop to the DSLAM can run up to 8 Mbps, so why don't they say "up to 120 times faster than ISDN".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

yeah, I can see eircom offering 8Mbps lines to residential users !!??!!

Originally posted by hmmm
    I got on to the ASAI who told me to pfo basically that they didn't consider a website to be 'advertising'.

An Irish (?) company selling a product to the Irish consumer with advertising banners (and incorrect information) isn't advertising? FFS, will the ASAI ever get off their high horse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 daithi54

Your a bit behind the times. Eircom removed the DSLAMS ages ago after they gave up the idea of TV and video etc. They replaced these with ASLAMs which don't offer that kind of bandwidth.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭neverhappen

Just wondering if any of the i-$cream triallists signed up for the "special offer" of continuing the service without paying the installation fee ?

Are you still connected ?

Have you paid any money ?

If you are still connected, but haven't paid any money, have eircom contacted you saying when you will have to start paying?

Is the "special offer" now null and void as the product cannot be released at this time (at those prices) ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Originally posted by rymus
    "Over 30 times the speed of ISDN and standard phone lines"

You know what irks me about that satement? IT'S NOT is what. In the UK, 512kbps services are usually advertised as "up to 10 times faster". Eircom seems to think that 512kbps is 30 times faster.

Eircom's "claim" would only be true if people were still using 14.4k modems.

Advertisement