Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P4 n ram type questiony thing!?

• 02-10-2001 1:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭

Is there any point in buying a comp with a P4 if it comes with SDRAM? or is it best to get RDRAM?

Oh n please i don't want this to turn into another pentium bad amd good thread!;) i'm just wondering is there any point in puting sd with a p4!

Is intel gonna go for ddr compatability anytime soon... if so i'd prolly go for that, well as long as its within the next 4/5 week cause i'll have the money then n i'm very impatient! lol

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Put simply...

Sdram is cheap but doesnt take advantage of the P4 very well

Rdram is expensive but offers alot of bandwidth / speed

Gotta finish my lunch now :D

P.S. Buy AMD :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Yes, lets not turn it into another intel vs amd thread, because thats not what the question is.

Do NOT buy a p4 with sdram, because it is crippled by it. A p4 1.6ghz with rdram is significantly faster than a p4 2.0ghz with sdram. Basically you would be better off with a p3 1.0ghz with sdram. (as an example)

So, either buy a p4 with rdram, or wait for the via p4x266 chipset to take off. It is currently only being used by some small motherboard makers, perhaps some reasonably sized computer companies will start using it in their machines soon. Or wait even longer for intel to release the i845 ddr chipset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭SickBoy

What Gerry said :)

Advertisement