Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer not shutting propperly

• 02-10-2001 4:38pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok, I am running WindowsME,
    I got my Hard-drive a d motherboard replaced.. when I got it back, it was working grand, But when I press "shut-down" the computer goes ok, removes everything from the task bar, it then disappears, icons are gone, then all suddenly the computer turns off, its not going through the safe way of shutting down as scandisk loads on start up, files/ajjustiments to settings aren't saving propperly, anyone have any idea whats going on and how to come about fixing it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I think a quote from fixwindows.com is in order:
    You're going to have to switch to a new operating system. Visit Red Hat's website and download the latest version of Linux. Just kidding. Linux is too big to download quickly; you'll have to order the CD instead. Good luck and I hope this helps.
    lmao

but seriously... here's a useful flow chart i'm aware its for win98 but they're more or less the same ne way :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Power management my friend - it's a b@stard of an invention.

Get it turned off. If not you may find soon that it will come up and say the last few times it has gone into standby it has failed - do you want to turn this off in future. To which you reply Yes.

Either this or you need to do a full scandisk and surfacescan (preferably through DOS - you can make a bootdisk) and/or go to

START -> RUN -> "msconfig" -> ADVANCED -> Disable scandisk on bad shutdown

pisses me off too but really I don't actually TRUST scandisk as I know where it goes wrong.

Ignore it. If you feel worried then once a month run a thourough scandisk and defrag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

For windows 98 but you might find something useful

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q202/6/33.ASP?LN=EN-IE&SD=gn&FR=0

I know that there is a problem with Win 98 not shutting down properly with fast processors 900Mhz+ and that Microsoft have released a patch to fix the problem.

Sorry about the vague reply.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Thanks for the replys guys, I'll try that stuff now
    1. scandisk is REALLY annoying
    2. Already have Linux, Not rh :) but stay away from Redhat :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

Try Updating the bios - the GigaByte 7zx(-1) had problems with Scandisk and ME in earlier bios revisions... just a thought

• Advertisement
Advertisement