Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compustore praise

• 02-10-2001 6:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭

Praise for Compustore on the Long Mile Road; I bought a dicky USB CD-RW there and went back in a rage. After testing it and finding it was faulty, they were really decent and gave me a better CD-RW at a good price. Respect!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

Another word of praise to them. I saw there that they have one of the first ever software 'vending machines' in one of their shops in Sandyford, Dublin. You can browse a selection of major Software packages on a computer console, then download titles onto a custom-made CD ROM. This was an idea of UK crowd called Softwide and the system is being used to sell productivity, educational, reference, and entertainment software.

You make your selection and the computer burns the software to a CD which can be customised with personal greetings etc. The CD is then placed in a DVD-style jewel case. This makes savings from 10 to 40% over the equivilant way of picking the box off of the shelf.

The software catalogue in the Softwide database covers Windows PC, Mac, Linux, Pocket PC and Palm platforms with over 2,000 titles and 60 new titles a month.

I think its an ingenious idea and id say we will be seeing more of these around computer shops in the future. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Last time I was in there they were unbelieveably expensive. You'd need a mortgage just to buy paper in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

why would you bother buying off them why dont you just go on the net and save money. that software jukebox dam feckers robbed of my idea, well i was thinking about a cd jukebox in music stores you can slect what you want on your cd [every track] and in the future it could provide you with every song ever located on a central server and it could download them over the net off the server. would make a fortune. all the technology is there even a net connection fast enough and it isnt even expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭gs39t

Bought a 2.4x DVD+RW there for €199......and yes, it works great! :eek:

BUT, it was €39 for 5 memorex DVD+R discs! :(

thats not bad but what brand and model was it? you would pay the same money on the net for a pioneer or nec drive [give or take a few quid] in my experience they sell goods that are unknown or bad makes

• Advertisement

Originally posted by irishguy
    why would you bother buying off them why dont you just go on the net and save money. that software jukebox dam feckers robbed of my idea, well i was thinking about a cd jukebox in music stores you can slect what you want on your cd [every track] and in the future it could provide you with every song ever located on a central server and it could download them over the net off the server. would make a fortune. all the technology is there even a net connection fast enough and it isnt even expensive

Saw that in some music store in LA 10 yrs ago.

Yeah gs39t what make was it?

10 years ago in 1993? what was it burning at 0.1x speed its only feasable now as you can get 52x for notting

Thats a good idea! Your idea hasnt totally been stolen as they are only doing the idea for software. I think you should contact ppl who could do something with your idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭gs39t

Its boxed as "Mirror" (a black/purple box) but its actually an NEC ND1000A (in device manager)

This was in Sandyford about 2 months ago.

http://www.mirrorproducts.co.uk/ Its on there :)

thats not a bad price, they might be getting better. in regards to my idea there is not much point i know its a good idea and i would make a fortune but i dont think virgin or HMV would say ya sure come on put one in our branches you need money behind you lots o money. it wouldnt take musch for a jukebox/vending company to turn around and make one. but it would take me ages + i would ahve to file patants and do prototyes and stuff but u never know.its only one of my many ideas that would make a fortune but i am sure most people have the same but few people act on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

Originally posted by denis_o_leary
    Another word of praise to them. I saw there that they have one of the first ever software 'vending machines' in one of their shops in Sandyford, Dublin. You can browse a selection of major Software packages on a computer console, then download titles onto a custom-made CD ROM. This was an idea of UK crowd called Softwide and the system is being used to sell productivity, educational, reference, and entertainment software.

Interesting, how does the machine work, does it take credit cards, money, both, or do the staff enter a key or something to allow it to work to a certain amount of money etc..?

You insert the money into the machine. You make your selection and the Softwide computer then burns the software to a CD which can be customised with personal greetings etc. In this way, the system delivers fully licensed software on the spot to user requirements.

The CD is placed in a DVD-sytle jewel case, while the ultraviolet paper that makes up the packaging is watermarked as proof of authenticity, confirming that the software license has been paid for.

10 years ago in 1993? what was it burning at 0.1x speed its only feasable now as you can get 52x for notting

Really? Can you post a link to where you can get a 52x drive for nothing. I'd like a couple. My last one cost €35. Also where can you get the 52x media. Can you post a link to any 0.1 speed drive? I had a mac in '93 that had a 2x CDROM drive. In the place I worked we had CD burners that may have cost huge money but they did exist. We had PC's with external SCSI 1x 2x 3x drives.

Actually the system they had in LA was on cassette. But the basic principle is the same. Whats prevented its use up to now was copywrite and licensing issues. Theres never been any technological reason why they couldn't do it. I mean theres been juke boxes around since the 50's and yo could go in to a booth and record your own record.

When you say "major" software titles what do you mean? MS products? Adobe Products? Or all that budget crap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Really? Can you post a link to where you can get a 52x drive for nothing. I'd like a couple. My last one cost €35. Also where can you get the 52x media. Can you post a link to any 0.1 speed drive? I had a mac in '93 that had a 2x CDROM drive. In the place I worked we had CD burners that may have cost huge money but they did exist. We had PC's with external SCSI 1x 2x 3x drives.

What side of bed did you get out off? Give the chap a break.

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    What side of bed did you get out off? Give the chap a break.

ok mammy :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

thats not a bad price, they might be getting better. in regards to my idea there is not much point i know its a good idea and i would make a fortune but i dont think virgin or HMV would say ya sure come on put one in our branches you need money behind you lots o money. it wouldnt take musch for a jukebox/vending company to turn around and make one. but it would take me ages + i would ahve to file patants and do prototyes and stuff but u never know.its only one of my many ideas that would make a fortune but i am sure most people have the same but few people act on them.
    There's been one at the back of HMV in Oxford Street for the past five years. Four of them actually. Using CDs rather than tapes. Time for another idea I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

i was thinking about a cd jukebox in music stores you can slect what you want on your cd [every track] and in the future it could provide you with every song ever located on a central server and it could download them over the net off the server. would make a fortune. all the technology is there even a net connection fast enough and it isnt even expensive

unfortunately you are just over 4 years too late with that idea...
    http://www.liquidaudio.com/company/press/1999/archive/7_15_99.asp

back in '99 Virgin tried it and then Sony said it was going to, really need to get all the labels on-board (together) and deal with all the DRM issues - good luck ;) - would love to see it - or even just get access to iTunes over here for a start

BrianG

Originally posted by DubWireless
    unfortunately you are just over 4 years too late with that idea...
    http://www.liquidaudio.com/company/press/1999/archive/7_15_99.asp

back in '99 Virgin tried it and then Sony said it was going to, really need to get all the labels on-board (together) and deal with all the DRM issues - good luck ;) - would love to see it - or even just get access to iTunes over here for a start

BrianG

Well we all know how slow Ireland are :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

I agree with ricardosmith here 100%. If someone is ignorant to what went on in the computer world before they became interested and then makes ill-informed pronouncements about it, they deserve everything they get. Did you really think that no-one else had thought of that idea?

jesus whats the problem i was only pointing out that one of those machines in 1993 wasnt feasable [ i was not quoting exact facts as i had very little interest in computers in 1993] having a system like that would cost quite alot and it would be better off just stocking the disks/tapes. its more feasable now as you can get the hardware alot cheaper [not free, just a term]
    here is a link to 52x media 4th product down Datasafe Silver Premium (52x) .Also never said that there was 0.1 speed drives i asked you what speed it was burning at.now if you dont have anything else constructive to say please shut up and dont start a flame war. sorry for taking the post off topic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I know that ye got points 2 but Give him a break ---

edit...why does it always happen when I post a question its answered before i hit submit
    ////
    Isn't 48x burn the max atm?
    \\\\

I must be wrong

nope there are x52 ones out i think this could be the max speed that they will reach though, as there is no real need for anything faster.now i cant wait for the x52 dvd writers to hit the market ;)

and then i go answer the question again a crap...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

nope there are x52 ones out i think this could be the max speed that they will reach though, as there is no real need for anything faster.now i cant wait for the x52 dvd writers to hit the market ;)

Cool I wouldn't want to go above 52x - I would be getting very worried...52x cd rom drives are dangerous, if they don't stop spinning when u take them out they cud fly out and hit u in the head

If you wanna be picky, kenwood have a 72x speed model out.... Good luck getting media for it though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    If you wanna be picky, kenwood have a 72x speed model out.... Good luck getting media for it though :D

but this us's the beam splitting teck. which can be very unstable ? i could be wrong tho ( rember reading about there normal cd rom's bing like this but never saw there burners )

Yeah read a review on www.ocworkbench.com about 3 or 4 months ago.

that kenwood 72x drive is a CD-ROM not CD-RW drive.but even at 72x it still doesnt transfer that fast my pioneer 120s will rip dvds at 11,000KB\S [constent speed, it will burst higher]while the kenwoods max teoretiocal speed is only 10,800 KB/s , i know they are different formats but it makes you think 72x isnt that much we could still go higher

jesus whats the problem....

No problem, I was only clarifying my original post which you were disputing disparagingly. Its an open discussion you don't have to like the response you get. Thanks for the link though. Finally somewhere I can get 10x CDRW. Though not for nothing - not my problem if you are being vague, in fact if you are not stating facts then its all techobabble.

Not that as you suggested, that cost of media was ever any impediment to your jukebox idea. Which remains as previously stated (and as it was 10yrs ago), the Music companies protection of their markets.

The iTunes store is a breakthrough. But they'll only do that where the market conditions force them to do it. In Ireland itunes usage would be tiny.

I'm still baffled as how anyone could see Computstore as being good though. If all they did was exactly what you are legally entitled to in any store. Why does that deserve praise. I'd be surprised if the orginal price was very cheap and from the original post its seems he was charged for the replacement?

Advertisement