Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL No-limits reviews ?

Options
  • 02-10-2001 6:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

Has anyone in West Dublin got the NTL 'nolimits' service going for IR£50/month ? Good/bad ? Love to hear your experiances.

Peter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

whats this ? complete flat-rate or just weekend flat-rate ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Its NTL's Cable Modem service.
    apparently it rox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Thats the cable service, and were did you hear it was in west dublin (often used to discribe dublin city center)

Taken From NTL Site

Currently available in selected areas of West Dublin.

i've given up on ntl, their idea of coming into this country was a joke... sometimes i think we would of been better off with cablelink.

BTW, their cable modem service rocks because only a very few have it :( and are using it at the same time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Originally posted by «Bo§ton»
    in west dublin (often used to discribe dublin city center)

Err - never heard of that before. West Dublin was always Clondalkin/Palmerstown, afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭R. Daneel Olivaw

I called NTL around 2 weeks ago asking about this "certain areas of west Dublin" cable-modem service.....and also as they had updated the website with the info and didn't have the old "give us your account number" box on it.

The guy said that cable modem service is not available to anyone at all who doesn't already have it, and that they have withdrawn it indefinitely due to the losses experienced in the development of the crap old Cablelink network.

This is a pity, as I am moving soon and was considering moving to where I could get a cable internet service.

Plus, they have been TV advertising the new digital TV service with 35 channels or something. I called the number for that and ask "so can I get cable modems now", etc., . Still no luck.

The one-way "digital" is not something I can understand. I will still have an old crappy 21" analogue coaxial-lead CRT TV, with still old crappy PAL resolution....

and if it's one-way, where's the interactive love, where's the "button" like on Sky Digital? Or is it just that they have a new way to cram more channels into smaller bandwidth? Yes, that's probably it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Ehh once the global economy picks up it and competition increases in the Irish market I'm sure there will be some sort of affordable broad band for the masses due to competition (I hope), but if the West goes to war then the global economy will collapse (if you regard where it is now as a non-collapsed state) due to it's weakness now and the high cost of war, well ok the chances of collapse increase exponentially ( nothing is certain I guess) that is why we should not vote for the totalitarian politicians that have brought the world to this point, it's time for a change, comrades join me now
    :D

VOTE TYPEDEF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Originally posted by Mountjoy Mugger

Err - never heard of that before. West Dublin was always Clondalkin/Palmerstown, afaik.

When ntl were rolling out go digital, alot of the areas they called west dublin, id call centre dublin.

Originally posted by R. Daneel Olivaw
    The guy said that cable modem service is not available to anyone at all who doesn't already have it, and that they have withdrawn it indefinitely due to the losses experienced in the development of the crap old Cablelink network.

why could'nt they have just said that last february instead of... 'we are still going to upgrade high demand areas' crap ...

all this time, i've been waiting and waiting for hope, and what does it all come to ... FU<K ALL

i feal its going to be the same with chorus powernet ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

This has been one of my hobby horses for some time. I was supposed to be in one of the areas to be upgraded after Tallaght. At the time they put their two-way upgrading under review, the area I was in was left half upgraded. They had laid the higher grade cable but not connected it to the houses. Instead, they left the older cable in place and continued to offer the analogue service. This was back in march.

About six weeks ago they connected up the new cable and removed the old cablelink cable. The guys doing the work said that this was for the full two-way services. So I called the sales office. Yes, I was fully upgraded to the two way service and they were in a position to sell me the cablemodem service. They gave me an address of a company in Bray to buy the cable modem from and made an appointment for an engineer to call out.

The guy that called out knew nothing about about cable internet and thought he was there for a basic cable tv instalation. Nevertheless he cut a length of cable to connect the cablemodem to the TV point. The modem never found the signal however and a couple of days later two more technicians called out. They told me that I needed a special box for cable internet and that someone else would be needed to install that. As they were telling me this, one of them noticed the TV that was on at the time. He said that no way was I on the digital system becaus the reception was so bad!

I made some enquiries with NTL and someone got back to me that I was not on the two way service. I was a bit angry but I left it at that.

About two hours later the same person got back to me to say it was a mistake and that I was indeed on the two-way system.
    They sent around another installations engineer who installed a new box. Again, he knew nothing about cablemodems but he assured me that there was a signal but needed to install an attenuator to reduce the signal strength as cablemodems were very sensitive.

I left the cablemodem running overnight but it failed to find the appropriate send and receive signals. So I called again to NTL. This time someone phoned me back to say that the area had been upgraded for digital TV only and that there were no plans to offer either cable modem or telephone services over the cable. It would cost, I was told, £20,000 to do this and it wasn't worth it for one customer. It was a computer error on their part that led them to believe that the area was fully upgraded.

So I have copper cable that is fully capable of two-way communication but NTL have no plans to compete with Eircom.

NTL have recently succeded in getting a price increase from the ODTR above what they would normally get under the pricing mechanism set by the ODTR subject to certain conditions. None of these condititions are to do with any services which might compete with Eircom. However, as far as the ODTR is concerned, it is vital that limited non-interactive digital TV is supplied.
    This, in my opinion, goes against the purpose of the forced sale of cablelink by Eircom and RTE which was to specifically to compete with Eircom for local loop services.

If you look at other European countries, almost all of them that provide ADSL, also have significant numbers using cable internet. Because of the lack of local loop competition, Eircom are able to charge close to £100 for extremely basic crippled ADSL.

I can understand that given the number of disgruntled Eircom shareholders, there is intense political pressure to protect Eircom's monopoly, but nothing seems to be changing with this sale to Valentia.

Because Eircom have no fundamental competition, there is no incentive for them to roll out affordable broadband other than ineffective regulation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

"Eircom are able to charge close to £100 for extremely basic crippled ADSL"

No they're not. :)

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

i live in the ntl upgraded area
    we have ntl phone provider, basic cable tv (15/6/7 channels??), 2 line rental and free 56k access 24/7 with a 2hr cutoff.

i've asked again and again for ntl to install the cable modem service but they don't seem interested in turning on the port and giving me the bit of cable and cable modem.

why they are turning down business i'll never know

--MiCr0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭R. Daneel Olivaw

Does that mean that you only get 2 hours a day? Or what? 2 hours then it disconnects you and er.......you reconnect using the standard Windows redialler? And the problem with that is.........?

He gets free 24/7 56k internet access but it comes with an auto 2hour cut off.
    but you can redial and surf again.

Advertisement