Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whos Using Windows Xp, afew questions

• 02-10-2001 9:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭

First, how do i nuke this msn chat thing, i turn it off and it turns itself back on, and i cant seem to uninstall it.
    any other little things i should be aware of, i think i got all the phone home things,

Allso NSW 2002 doesnt seem to run stable in my version, afew other people ive talked to have had the same trouble.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Mutor_CS

Open MSN Messenger
    Open Tools menu and choose "Options..."
    Select Preferences tab
    de-select "Run this program when Windows starts"
    click OK

Right-click on MSN icon in system tray, and choose Exit.

Ta-daaaa :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,463 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Nah , doesnt work for all users and you still have to click it away, a more clean solution is to ...start/run/gpedit.msc and stop it there.

There are also batch files around that feck about with the registry so you can uninstall it completely, the gpedit.msc just prevents it starting until you decide to start it the normal way..ie start/programs etc, better than messing about in the registry i feel.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

tried the first one, and that doesnt stop the think turning itself back on for some unknown reason. Its starting to bug me because i hate those programs.

Ill try what you said longfield, personally im all for editing the reg if i can. i know enough to restore it.

One thing i should have added there, is to enable the disabling (makes sense when you are in gpedit!!) under both administrative and user templates.

Also, the Tiny Personal firewall does work fine in XP , though it is only slightly better than blackice..(which is so full of holes its a sponge).
    NPF2K2 does work fine but unless you know what you are doing is not for the novice. NPF2K1 is a helluva lot easier to use and does work with the updates from semantec, so probably is a better choice for most.

That said Tiny is free(for personal use) and adequate for most ppl and is a no brainer to install and configure

NAV2K2 is a huge improvement from NAV2K/1 imho, has all the settings that needed manually configuring in NAV2K/1 set by default, absolutely no issues with it in Win98/2k and XP. Definately recommend it

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I allways used NIS instead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

i couldnt get zonalarm or blackice to run on xp
    this Tiny personal firewall works then does it ?

Tiny does work with no problems at all in XP, personally though i'd recommend Norton Personal Firewall 2001, which also works fine with updates from Norton and is a lot better.

Of course switch on the XP built in firewall too.

Advertisement