Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

crashing...

• 11-02-2000 11:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭

right i have a athlon 700 processor . 64 megs of ram a ge-force graphics card pro version . a 10 speed dvd anda 50 speed cd rom with a 20 gig hd . the bloody thing likes to crash whenever i am installing stuff with the dvd or whenever im playing some games . it also crashes whenever i leave a game running for 5-10 mins without using the game . i though it was power managment but i cant find the option in the bios to turn it off. the motherbord is a gigabite slot a cant rember the full name of it . so any ids why its liking to crash on me ??? come on someone has to know . thx lads

E

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

what drivers for the G-force are you useing?
    the motherboard is a ga-71x or a ga-71xe there the only gigabyte mothereboards.
    also try to upgrade the south and north bridge (agp-pci) (and the ide drivers) www.amd.com should have them if you look in the athlon part of the website

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Aye, as sutty was pointing out, you should use Nvidia reference drivers 3.64 (I've had problems with the 3.68's so I don't know how stable they'll be on your machine), older versions (And definitely the ones that came with your card) will crash some games (Half life/Tfc/Quake2 etc.).

Crashing during file transfers is usually down to:

Dos drivers for the CD-Rom
    Incorrect Bus Master drivers (As sutty mentioned)
    Cd-Rom cache software.
    Bad Slave/Master jumpering on the IDE chain.
    Messed up windows ASPi drivers (Have you installed any Cd-Burner/Scanenr software?).
    Is your FSB overclocked?
    Do you have a Case cooling system - if not I advise you to at least get a Twin-Turbo 5 1/2" bay cooler. Even if your system is not overclocked all the ambient heat thrown out by the athlon/Geforce/HDD will cause you problems.

As for power management, just go into Display / Screen Saver and use the power options to set it to always on.
    Don't worry about the BIOS, Win98 will ignore it.

[This message has been edited by _CreeD_ (edited 12-02-2000).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Creed, I notice you mentioned CDR/Scanners causing trouble - as I said in another thread, my whole system crashes when transferring more than a couple of hundred megabytes from CDs. I have a CDRW installed...
    Also, I installed VIA BusMaster drivers, which helped somewhat, but it still crashes after a while when copying a lot of stuff.

Any idea how to fix it?

- Munch
    - Visit The Fortress

You could spend many yonks (your average yonk being 1.32 MiliMimblies) hunting down all the errant ASPI drivers in Win9x. Or, uninstall your CDR software, and install Win9x from inside itself (Ie. just Run setup from the Start menu).
    Or, bite the bullet and do a clean sweep.

I installed a new burner that came with CeQuadrat a few weeks ago. Uninstalled DirectCD/Adaptec Easy CDpro 3.5 and popped on the new one. The system was crashing left right and center after that, even if just ejecting a disk.
    Watch for GPF's in IOS and any ASPI files to be sure this is your culprit.

I just reinstalled anyway. it's lazy but sometimes it's faster than hunting around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

right went to amd.com but what do i have to dl

• Advertisement

http://www.amd.com/support/software.html

You need the AGP-Miniport, and I think the Gigabyte uses the AMD chipset for both bridges so the IDE driver (Busmaster) would be a good idea too (Though you should check your manual for any mentions of VIA...)
    WWW.SlotA.Com is also a pretty good place to keep an eye on. The forum is excellent for troubleshooting.

[This message has been edited by _CreeD_ (edited 15-02-2000).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 dollar

As a very late follow up:

see toms haredware blurb http://www6.tomshardware.com/blurb/index-01.html
    I'd say this is your problem. I didn't read much but if you own a Gforce and an AMD K7 then I'd advise you do.

Advertisement