Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ADSL Pricing ex VAT

Options
  • 02-10-2001 11:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

I'm sure this has been mentioned already, but Eircom have updated their pricing on www.adsl.ie and the price of i-stream solo is £77.97 ex VAT, which is £93.56 inc VAT.... almost £100 a month :rolleyes:

i-stream enhanced will set you back the tidy sum of £215 a month.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

The original pages forgot to mention that the prices were ex-VAT. They were later amended after the press stopped reporting the launch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Fergus2

I note that the per-MB charge has drifted from 2.26p to 2.4p + VAT..

so in fact we are talking 2.9p (3.7 cent) per MB.

It's curious that over a V90/ISDN line, assuming 2-3 minutes per MB download rate, the peak 1891 charge works out almost exactly the same price per MB. In other words, eircom are trying to carry the rip-off cost structure of data transfer over their switched network across to a packet network too. I despair.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

you know that ethernet adsl modem eircom are trying to sell :
    ADSL Ethernet modem 200 (IR£157.51) excl. VAT

Does anyone know if this is a 'normal' 10/100Mbps ethernet NIC ? Can you supply your own ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

I was of the impression that you need both an ADSL modem, be it USB or Ethernet, and a NIC. A standard 10/100Mbs supplied by yourself should be fine.

EDIT: Of course, using a USB modem, you won't need a NIC - but the performance will take a hit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Originally posted by ando
    you know that ethernet adsl modem eircom are trying to sell :

Does anyone know if this is a 'normal' 10/100Mbps ethernet NIC ? Can you supply your own ?

this is the kind that goes directly into a nic, 10/100 or just 10

the usb version you just need a usb port,
    the problems start to pop up when your not using windows,
    Also if you an extreme tweaking freak like myself, you would want the cpu being used for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Just a bit confused... I've never seen adsl on a computer, so I'm just trying to guess whats involved in setting it up ...

1) phone line coming into house.
    2) phone line into splitter
    3) phone line goes into adsl modem (external black box, sort of router)
    4) from the adsl modem into an ethernet card in your PC

Its that step 4, thats what i was wondering about .. is that just a normal ethernet nic ?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭hudson806

Originally posted by ando

Its that step 4, thats what i was wondering about .. is that just a normal ethernet nic ?

Yup. Any 10/100mb NIC will do fine.

Of course, using a USB modem, you won't need a NIC - but the performance will take a hit.

Just to be clear, the DSL performance won't be any worse, although a USB DSL modem hits the PC performance just like any other USB device.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by The Cigarette Smoking Man
    I'm sure this has been mentioned already, but Eircom have updated their pricing on www.adsl.ie and the price of i-stream solo is £77.97 ex VAT, which is £93.56 inc VAT.... almost £100 a month :rolleyes:

i-stream enhanced will set you back the tidy sum of £215 a month.

93 quid a month and a transfer cap! I dont know whether to laugh or cry. I think I'll cry tho. Roll on Irish WAN :)

Advertisement